• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Ethics of Two Way Ignore

I believe most blocks occur because two people start butting heads and escalate it from there. The one that gets tired of it first blocks the other.

I can tell you that is not how I use the ignore feature most of the time. Some of the people on my list I have had relatively few interactions with. Sometimes none. AFAIK, I'm only being ignored by one person right now, and I'm pretty sure it's a person I've never directly interacted with (admittedly, it's hard to check now).

I obviously don't have you on ignore, but I think it's safe to assume that if your number is getting high, a lot of that is people who are watching your posts and deciding they just don't want to interact with you in the future. People don't need to talk with you directly to know that. The people you're butting heads with are the ones who choose not to put you on ignore.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I can tell you that is not how I use the ignore feature most of the time. Some of the people on my list I have had relatively few interactions with. Sometimes none. AFAIK, I'm only being ignored by one person right now, and I'm pretty sure it's a person I've never directly interacted with (admittedly, it's hard to check now).

I obviously don't have you on ignore, but I think it's safe to assume that if your number is getting high, a lot of that is people who are watching your posts and deciding they just don't want to interact with you in the future. People don't need to talk with you directly to know that. The people you're butting heads with are the ones who choose not to put you on ignore.
Maybe. One question. Why don’t you have me ignored/blocked?

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
I can tell you that is not how I use the ignore feature most of the time. Some of the people on my list I have had relatively few interactions with. Sometimes none.
This is in line with my use. Almost all of the people on my "permanent" ignore list are there because of things they said to other posters or in conversations I wasn't involved in. Sometimes people say things, and I'm like "this poster is not my type of poster."

I don't put people I've butted heads with on ignore for more than a day or two, and I only do that so I can take inventory of my own behavior and feelings. (I'm putting myself in time out rather than them. I mostly don't want to be argumentative on the Internet.)

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
This is in line with my use. Almost all of the people on my "permanent" ignore list are there because of things they said to other posters or in conversations I wasn't involved in. Sometimes people say things, and I'm like "this poster is not my type of poster."

I don't put people I've butted heads with on ignore for more than a day or two, and I only do that so I can take inventory of my own behavior and feelings. (I'm putting myself in time out rather than them.)
Interesting. There probably is a bit of selection bias on my side then. The ones I’m not interacting with currently I’m less likely to realize have blocked me. Where the ones blocking me in the moment I notice instantly. Interesting.

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Interesting. There probably is a bit of selection bias on my side then. The ones I’m not interacting with currently I’m less likely to realize have blocked me. Where the ones blocking me in the moment I notice instantly. Interesting.
I can also say that, in line with my purposes in using ignore, I don't use two-way ignore. It's enough for me not to see the other poster.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Speaking only for myself? I don't want people I've blocked to know that I've blocked them, or when I did it. I want them to think I vanished from the site, never to be seen again, without so much as a wave goodbye. (It takes a LOT to get me to block someone.) This is true across all social media, from Reddit to FaceBook to ENWorld.

If that ever changes--if I ever want someone to know that I've blocked them--I can send them a DM first.

Last edited:

Ah. Is that why I'm getting notifications telling me that people quoted a post of mine, but can't find the thread that its happening in?

I didn't realise that this was a thing.

Yes, the board behavior changed recently to not let you into threads if the OP has you ignored. It was discussed more in detail in this other thread: Thread Not Found (Unless I Log Out)

Seems like it was an unintended change for ENWorld, but not one that is easy to fix.

Remove ads