• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Tips for starting at higher-level?

Quickleaf

Legend
Next campaign, I'd like to run something high level (9th-16th maybe) both for narrative reasons and because I want to learn how to GM high-level play better.

Seems like a timely moment (what with Vecna) to ask: What are your best tips for starting a campaign at higher levels?

No limits on the question. It's open-ended. Interpret how you like. Share what worked for you / your group.

Horwath

Legend
depending on what campaign you are making, there is important choice about starting gear.
in DMG it's starting equipment plus some 600-700 GP, which is downright sad for 9th level, so you might want to talk with your players on what starting gear should look like.

when we started on 6th level, it was 3000GP plus 3 uncommon magic items and few common permanent magic items.

Quickleaf

Legend
depending on what campaign you are making, there is important choice about starting gear.
in DMG it's starting equipment plus some 600-700 GP, which is downright sad for 9th level, so you might want to talk with your players on what starting gear should look like.

when we started on 6th level, it was 3000GP plus 3 uncommon magic items and few common permanent magic items.
Was that each PC got 3,000 gp, 3 uncommon magic items, and a few common magic items? Or was that shared across the whole party?

aco175

Legend
May also depend on the players and if they have played high level before. The PCs have a ton of powers and can can do most anything but if the players do not see or understand all the power it might limit things.

There may be the same thing if people played a character from 1st to 15th level against another that just made a 15th level Pc to play. You do not know the PC if you just made him and the synergy between the powers/spells/items might not be great.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
Next campaign, I'd like to run something high level (9th-16th maybe) both for narrative reasons and because I want to learn how to GM high-level play better.

Seems like a timely moment (what with Vecna) to ask: What are your best tips for starting a campaign at higher levels?

No limits on the question. It's open-ended. Interpret how you like. Share what worked for you / your group.
I imagine some test combats would be important for people to learn their characters' features.

On the GM side, be prepared for a higher mental load. There's gonna be more stuff you need to keep running in your head from all angles.

Expect combat to take longer. How much longer depends on a lot of factors. A time limit on turns may be helpful.

Quickleaf

Legend
May also depend on the players and if they have played high level before. The PCs have a ton of powers and can can do most anything but if the players do not see or understand all the power it might limit things.

There may be the same thing if people played a character from 1st to 15th level against another that just made a 15th level Pc to play. You do not know the PC if you just made him and the synergy between the powers/spells/items might not be great.
What are your tips for helping players who are playing a new character type at high level for the first time and/or are less experienced with high level play?

Do you second the "run test combat" suggestion?

J-H

Hero
If I were doing it, I'd create a multiple-choice list of 8-12 previous adventures that individuals have had (2-3) and that the group has had (3-5).
Each choice has a relevant magical item, potion, etc. associated with it.
Once they've made their choices, everyone has an individual history of 2-3 adventures, plus a group history of 3-5 adventures.

Each one brings with it some sort of potion or magic item or two.

Example:
Several months ago, your group killed a young dragon terrorizing <city>. What color dragon was it? Where did it lair? they fill these answers in
"Starting" gear from fighting a dragon: 1200gp, +2 sword (great/long/short depending on party composition), Cloak of the Manta Ray

Several months ago, you aided some extraplanar creatures stranded on the Material Plane, helping them gather an item needed to return home and protecting them from a wizard who wanted to dissect him. What kind of creatures were they? They determine this
"Starting" gear from fighting wizard & dealing with extraplanar: Staff of Withering, 4 wizard spell scrolls (random), Dark Shard Amulet

aco175

Legend
What are your tips for helping players who are playing a new character type at high level for the first time and/or are less experienced with high level play?

Do you second the "run test combat" suggestion?
If you have a session 0 for making the characters, a trial combat would help, especially if all the PCs are there to work together.

I also like having cheat sheets or cards like 4e with powers and spells printed out to help speed things for newer players.

Most all my games end before 15th level, so I might not have the best help.

Remove ads