• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What do people think of the new dragon designs?

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Certainly. I’d still like to be able to visualise how it happens.
To be serious, I have no idea. I don't generally subscribe to the "dragons the size of a 747" idea, myself. I usually present adult dragons as being around the size of T-rexes, in the 5-8 ton range.

The only thing I generally present as being truly kaiju-like are the tarrasque and dragon turtles.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Not really. But see my post above yours.
Ah. I see.

First of all, I am okay with Theater of the Mind so the map isn't important, and as a big fan of the look and feel of anime, World of Warcraft cinematics and epic fantasy/sci-fi/superhero movies, I am okay visually a tiny dude with a tiny sword slashing into a massive dragons heart.

Uh oh, you mentioned the cursed word...
Can't say I'm familiar with it, so... Apologies? Shrugs

I'm a big fan of the manga One Piece, which had a character that can turn into a Spinosaurus during its last major arc (characters that can shapeshift into one type of animal or another is a pretty standard thing in the series), and the author actually updated that character's design to be more accurate after learning about the discovery in question.

Seeing the bronze dragons get a similar update to their tail design reminded me of that.

Last edited:

If you mention the s-word in a paleo focused area, it will inevitably devolve into people arguing for days on the topic.
It’s a running joke, except not because paleontologists will literally get into screaming matches about, well, everything to do with Spinosaurus.
Ah, I see. Was a big dinosaur nut as a kid, but I've been mostly removed from paleontology circles as an adult, so I wasn't aware of there being any particularly heated discourse on the subject.

Argyle King

Legend
We actually did get pictures of the updated designs for the other Chromatics.
Let me post them again.

5KkvLYg.png
M7JQtyw.png

yiDDdAV.png

HBFKLhe.png

q2TRbXC.png

urqnTw3.png

w6clOp3.png

P9dZBYx.png

YQn70Yk.png

The Cover Art for the PHB shows the new look for the Gold Dragon
E84Wsn7.jpeg

The ones pictured here look good. Something about the limb placement on the green seems a little off, but that's a nitpick.

Regarding the OP:

The Red Dragon looks a bit chonky, but I guess that's alright for a general "average" specimen.

I don't like the bronze dragon from the OP.
It looks too much like a bird.

Remove ads