• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which Greyhawk in D&D 2024

Which version of Greyhawk should D&D 2024 use?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I suppose I should comment on this, given I don't know if/when I will put up a Greyhawk post.

I would go with 576 CY. Mostly because that is keeping with the platonic ideal of Greyhawk as a "loosely sketched, you fill it in" campaign setting that each table was expected to make their own.

In saying that, I recognize that there was additional lore created afterwards, and while some of it was questionable, there are real fans of various aspects of it. And I certainly don't want to de-value their love or experiences. But in terms of the setting as a teaching experience for DMs to make their own, I would definitely think that the classic setting is the best, because that is, effectively, what it was.

Those who loved the additional lore can make it their own by adding the lore- which keeps with the "Greyhawk is your own setting" vibe.

To me, one of the major distinctions between GH and FR has always been that GH is relatively unencumbered by too much additional canonical lore, and I'd like to keep it that way. Every table can have their own GH, and each exists and is valid in their own way.

Last edited:

Chaltab

Explorer
I mean what I would do is move it a ahead as much as they moved Forgotten Realms, so place the current year in the early 700s CY.

What they're likely do is reset it to 576 or 591, just like how when they did Spelljammer they completely reset the Rock of Bral to where it was in 2E.

Remove ads