NOTE - I was out of town all day yesterday for family reasons, so there are TWO big news updates today. This one is WotC, but this morning I also posted a big Pathfinder RPG update
covering a new Goblin Vinyl Bank from Comic-Con, Zadim the Iconic Slayer, the Optimized Character Contest ending today, and more! Be sure to check that out!
Dungeons & Dragons News
- Want to see ALL the 5E Player's Handbook previews I've shown you on this very page so far? I've collected them all together here. There may be more than you think!
- The Mary Sue interviewed WotC's Mike Mearls and Jeremy Crawford about the important and sometimes divisive topic of diversity and sexuality in the new game. "For example, in the section on the human race in the Player’s Handbook, the [illustration representing humans] is a black woman. The illustration makes me smile every time I see it. ... Very early on, we decided that we were going to avoid bare midriffs, cleavage, and other common gaming tropes. We only use those if a specific character would actually dress that way. For instance, our incubus is depicted with six-pack abs and a come-hither smile. That makes sense, because as a supernatural creature of seduction and corruption, that’s how he would present himself in the world of D&D." [118 comments]
- An interview with WotC's Mike Mearls about D&D 5th Edition! "We found that many people in the audience wanted a fast, flexible, and easy-to-play game. That feedback went against nearly 15 years of conventional wisdom in the D&D business. It also stretched across all editions. Even people who loved 4e’s depth were interested in seeing a fast, simple core that they could expand to include deep combat when they wanted it." [86 comments]
- Official Conversion Guides! Also from the above article: "We’ve already had DMs cook up conversion guides for earlier editions. We’ll be producing official ones that will be freely available in the fall, once we dig ourselves out from beneath the three core rulebooks." [30 comments]
- Petros Papalianos created an encounter builder based on one of Mike Mearls' articles.
- If you want to see all the stuff in the D&D Encounters: Tyranny of Dragons Kit, you should click right here. Because that's where you'll find it, courtesy of Dungeon's Master.com.
- Play Board Games has reviewed the D&D Starter Set.
- Fantastical though it sounds, someone has rolled up 1,000 characters using the D&D 5E Basic Rules: [9 comments]
Diesa Torunn, Dwarf (Mountain) Fighter (Defense); S20 D14 C18 I14 W15 C15; 14 hp; Animal Handling, Athletics, Intimidation, Perception; Dice, Vehicles (Land); Common, Dwarvish; chain mail, shield, shortsword, handaxe, handaxe, explorer's pack, insignia of rank, trophy, playing card set, common clothes, belt pouch, t36, 10 gp; ex-Soldier (Officer); T:erronously sesquipedalian, unflinching; I:honor; B:hapless defender; F:tyrant hunted.
She's about the strongest dwarf on the planet, and probably better than you at everything else too. So why did she leave the army, and why is a tyrant trying to track her down? Anyway, hope she's on your side.
Player's Handbook Table of Contents & Sorcerer
WotC sent these over to The Escapist
-- the full Table of Contents [38 comments]
and the Sorcerer two-page spread! [114 comments]
Dungeons & Dragons Spell Cards Coming Soon!
Gale Force 9, a long-time official licensee for D&D products, will be producing a series of D&D "Spellbook Cards" for the new edition of the game. No release date or price has yet been announced, but I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything. "These decks of spell cards are an invaluable resource for any magic-user. Consult the entire deck when selecting new spells to learn, and after a long rest you can set aside those spells you want to prepare for the day. Each deck is made from thick laminated card so they will stand the test of time."
So far arcane, paladin, ranger, druid, cleric, and bard have been mentioned. [37 comments]
GF9 is also producing licensed miniatures. "Sneak peak from Gale Force 9's Tyranny of Dragons minis. Watch out for these 2 in Hoard of the Dragon Queen!"