• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do wax earplugs do?

TheGogmagog

First Post
Specifically, I'm trying to not be awoke from sleeping. I'm hoping they make you deaf (auto-fail listen checks) but that might be more powerful than intended. With Combat listen DC at -10, and -10 to listen checks while sleeping, I basically need to fail a DC 0* listen check to sleep through combat. With wisdom or ranks in listen, this is impossible. *Technically the listen check is made at -10 because I'm sleeping the DC stays -10 since some listeners might be awake.

The 3.0 A&E page 22 lists them as granting -4 to listen checks and +1 circumstance on saves vs sonic attacks. However, the sonic attack section of the SRD likens wax in the ears to deafened (Auto fail listen checks, -4 to initiative and 20% spell fail). " Unless otherwise noted, a sonic attack follows the rules for spreads. The range of the spread is measured from the creature using the sonic attack. Once a sonic attack has taken effect, deafening the subject or stopping its ears does not end the effect. Stopping one’s ears ahead of time allows opponents to avoid having to make saving throws against mind-affecting sonic attacks, but not other kinds of sonic attacks (such as those that deal damage). Stopping one’s ears is a full-round action and requires wax or other soundproof material to stuff into the ears."

So far in 3.5 they save you from mind-affecting sonic attacks, but don't hamper your listen checks at all. Any other reference on effect of wax earplugs on listen checks?

The Souljourner

First Post
Just talk to your DM and make up some rules. Honestly, wax earplugs shouldn't make ou deaf and therefore shouldn't make you immune to sonic attacks, either. Every been to a concert and worn earplugs? I would say -6 to listen checks is fairly appropriate, but you should definitely not auto-fail listen checks.

Why do you want to sleep through combat, anyway? I think if you wanted, unless the GM has some special reason for denying you sleep, you could just say "I roll over and fall back asleep" Justify it by saying your character is a stupidly heavy sleeper. Most of the time that'll just be a drawback.

-Nate

nittanytbone

First Post
+2 equipment bonus is in line with all other masterwork gear. I'd say a +2 bonus to saves vs. sonic attacks and a -2 or -4 penalty to listen checks.

TheGogmagog

First Post
Well, I wanted to not be woken, so I didn't add an hour to my rest each time I awoke. But re-reading the rest requirements, as long as I don't participate in combat it shouldn't add an hour (however the time spent awake would need to be made up). The disruption in my current situation is repeated throughout the night, so the DM will add some 'restless night' penalty anyway. So guaranteed failure of the listen check would still help me.
Rest said:
To prepare her daily spells, a wizard must first sleep for 8 hours. The wizard does not have to slumber for every minute of the time, but she must refrain from movement, combat, spellcasting, skill use, conversation, or any other fairly demanding physical or mental task during the rest period. If her rest is interrupted, each interruption adds 1 hour to the total amount of time she has to rest in order to clear her mind, and she must have at least 1 hour of uninterrupted rest immediately prior to preparing her spells. If the character does not need to sleep for some reason, she still must have 8 hours of restful calm before preparing any spells.

TheGogmagog

First Post
nittanytbone said:
+2 equipment bonus is in line with all other masterwork gear. I'd say a +2 bonus to saves vs. sonic attacks and a -2 or -4 penalty to listen checks.
Well, the sonic attack section is 3.5 and the auto save for sonic mind-effects is RAW, and no save bonus to other sonic attacks is also spelled out by RAW. So I disagree with your +2 bonus to saves claim.

I also agree with keeping bonuses to skill checks in line (+2) and be carefull about circumstance stacking. Skills can get out of hand quickly depending on the effect of the skill checks (diplomacy, jump, and so on.).

I might be biased since I want the penalty, but I'm thinking the same restriction to bonuses shouldn't apply to penalties. Unfortunatly, -4 only gives me a 1/4 chance of sleeping through the night, and no chance at all if I have ranks or significant wisdom. I'm thinking it shouldnt be that hard to rest (though fatigue might start to factor in and grant further penalties). Or I could use the real life suggestion work out and Exaust myself before resting. [edit] Just checked, exausted only lasts an hour while sleeping, even then it doesn't affect my listen checks.[/edit]

The Souljourner

First Post
To be honest, a full fledged battle right next to you is going to wake you up even with earplugs... they're just not *that* effective.

Hey... here's a thought... why not just have Blindness/Deafness cast on you (choosing deafness of course), and then remove blindness/deafness when the situation is over? :)

-Nate

TheGogmagog

First Post
I suspect you are right. A wand of cause deafness, and wand of cure deafness is what it would take to auto fail. Or wall of stone/iron etc and blink/dim door in and out etc... or rope trick. Thanks for the suggestions.

IF the penalty is only -4 to listen, it might be worth while to run around with wax earplugs just for the immunity to sonic based mind effects. At least if you don't have a bard in the group (might need to check on things like bless, prayer).

MarkB

Legend
TheGogmagog said:
(however the time spent awake would need to be made up)
No, it wouldn't. Read the second sentence of the rules text you quoted - you need uninterrupted rest, not necessarily uninterrupted sleep.

pawsplay

Hero
TheGogmagog said:
Specifically, I'm trying to not be awoke from sleeping. I'm hoping they make you deaf (auto-fail listen checks) but that might be more powerful than intended. With Combat listen DC at -10, and -10 to listen checks while sleeping, I basically need to fail a DC 0* listen check to sleep through combat. With wisdom or ranks in listen, this is impossible. *Technically the listen check is made at -10 because I'm sleeping the DC stays -10 since some listeners might be awake.

Why? That's the DC for making the check, but nothing says you have to decide to wake up just because you succeed on the check.

Remove ads