• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do wax earplugs do?

The Souljourner

First Post
pawsplay said:
Why? That's the DC for making the check, but nothing says you have to decide to wake up just because you succeed on the check.

Well, it sounds like in this case, the DM is using the check to keep the PCs awake to their detriment, so - for this specific case - yes, it does mean you wake up. Of course, I'd probably let the PCs decide not to use their ranks (if any) in Listen if they didn't want to... nothing says someone skilled in listening has a more difficult time falling asleep, right?

(I'm imagining epic level characters having to blast the landscape for miles around to kill crickets within their hearing range, just so they can get some sleep)

-Nate

pawsplay

Hero
Well, it sounds like in this case, the DM is using the check to keep the PCs awake to their detriment, so - for this specific case - yes, it does mean you wake up.

Well, if we're in house rule territory, who cares what the rules say about earplugs?

TYPO5478

First Post
SRD said:
The wizard ... must refrain from movement, combat, spellcasting, skill use, conversation, or any other fairly demanding physical or mental task during the rest period.
Is it just me, or does the fact that you have to make a listen check at all incur this penalty?

Wish

First Post
The Souljourner said:
(I'm imagining epic level characters having to blast the landscape for miles around to kill crickets within their hearing range, just so they can get some sleep)

-Nate

We played a game where minds swapped into different bodies - and gained the skills of the new bodies. After about 20 minutes our barbarian player (Listen -1) now in the body of the scout (Listen approx +22), gets this horrified look on her face, claps her hands over her eas, and exclaims, "How do you make it stop?!?"

I'd imagine that Listen is really just about recognizing and priortizing certain things you hear. It's not like you can train your ears to actually hear better. But you can learn to pay attention to certain things and recognize which are important. Crickets wouldn't be important things.

TheGogmagog

First Post
TYPO5478 said:
Is it just me, or does the fact that you have to make a listen check at all incur this penalty?
I was going to comment on that to, but must have edited it out. I used to use that note about skill checks to rule that a wizard (Elven or with a ring of sustenance) couldn't spend his waking hours on watch. Now, I'm thinking that might be ridiculous for opposed checks.

No movement, no conversation, no mental task. That's one vacant state. If He's meditating, can he choose not to make spot/listen checks? Can he choose not to make a listen check and continue to sleep? Would someone trying not to make checks, still need to make some type of passive check at some penalty, or without ranks if something conspicuous occurs.

The alternative is house-ruling the sleep requirements to no Str/Dex/Con skills. This would let a spellcaster serve on watch the rest of the night.

The DM does ad-hock things to make the game move along or it might be part of the story (module). I'm fine with changing things for these reasons. But I am curious what the actual rules are either for future reference, or in case the DM's just shooting from the hip.

Last edited:

TheGogmagog

First Post
MarkB said:
No, it wouldn't. Read the second sentence of the rules text you quoted - you need uninterrupted rest, not necessarily uninterrupted sleep.
The first sentence says you need 8 hours of sleep, the second sentance says the rest can't be interrupted. The second sentence doesn't contradict the first.

pawsplay said:
Why? That's the DC for making the check, but nothing says you have to decide to wake up just because you succeed on the check.
The listen skill says you wake up. However, it also says you MAY make a check. Looks like you don't have to make the check in the first place. This solves my problem. It also lends itself to a consious but resting wizard being able to choose not to make any skill checks.
pawsplay said:
Well, if we're in house rule territory, who cares what the rules say about earplugs?
Well if the rules say earplugs make you deaf, I would still be able to sleep through the noise, even if he's ruling the situatioin forces you to make the check. Well, unless you rule, that even though you auto-fail listen checks, it still means you are making the check, and violate the no-skill checks clause. If the rules say wax ear plugs give -10 to checks, I have a fair chance at failing the check and staying asleep (again you are still using the listen skill even if you fail and stay asleep). He's not quite that mean though.

pawsplay

Hero
TheGogmagog said:
The listen skill says you wake up. However, it also says you MAY make a check. Looks like you don't have to make the check in the first place. This solves my problem. It also lends itself to a consious but resting wizard being able to choose not to make any skill checks.

that's exactly my point. A listen check is an action, and you can choose not to take it. There are no "insomnia rules" in D&D.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Research a cantrip or first level spell.

Like a Rock

(Encahntment [Mind-Affecting]

Level: 0
Components: V,F
Casting Time: 1 minute
Target: Personal
Duration: Chosen at casting, from 2 to 9 hours
Save: No
Spell Resistance: No

After casting this spell, you must fall asleep within one hour. If you do not, the spell ends.

For the duration of like a rock, noise does not awaken you from sleep.

This spell is of no protection against sonic attacks, nor does it render you deaf. You can be awakened normally, otherwise. Upon awakening, the spell ends.

Arcane Focus
A small carving of a sheep.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads