• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

5 Lessons for DMs from the LOST Series Bible

JJ Abrams made TV history with his groundbreaking series LOST -- and, love it or hate it, it's hard to argue that the show wasn't a significant accomplishment on Network TV, a landscape dominated by reality programming and multi-camera, laugh-track powered sitcoms. Just this past Thursday, BoingBoing.com noted the appearance online of a PDF of the original LOST series bible[ ]. It's a 27 page document addressed to the folks who will be supporting and working on the show, and as interesting as it is on it's own, there are some really important messages to take away for Dungeon Masters of all stripes.

JJ Abrams made TV history with his groundbreaking series LOST -- and, love it or hate it, it's hard to argue that the show wasn't a significant accomplishment on Network TV, a landscape dominated by reality programming and multi-camera, laugh-track powered sitcoms.

Just this past Thursday, BoingBoing.com noted the appearance online of a PDF of the original LOST series bible[ ]. It's a 27 page document addressed to the folks who will be supporting and working on the show, and as interesting as it is on it's own, there are some really important messages to take away for Dungeon Masters of all stripes.

View attachment 59036
So here goes:

1. Be Bold

When you're planning your campaign, or planning an adventure within an existing campaign, don't hold back. Imagine stories that you would tell if there were no limitations.

Abrams faced serious limitations -- budget, for one thing. Studios want shows that can be produced on a soundstage, where expenses can be controlled. And you can see some of Abrams' efforts to convince the studio folks that he was going to try to manage those costs:

Our idea is to build a jungle inside a soundstage. And in this patch of jungle, our characters will begin to build their own "mini" sets. Call it a primitive "Melrose Place.

And, if you watched the series, you remember that a lot of the interaction took place within their home camp, especially during that first season, but it never felt like a soundstage, and as the season went on, more and more of the show took place in a wide variety of locations.

For your own games, don't worry about things like how you'll manage to handle encounters as you imagine them -- if you can imagine a scene where the PCs wind up riding dragons into battle, and it makes sense, run with it, and trust yourself to come up with a way to stage the encounter.

Your only limitation should be your imagination -- and that should be no limitation at all.

2. Your Characters are the story

From the PDF:

At the end of the day,. LOST will sink or swim purely on the merit of its characters…and taking a page from the successful playbook of Reality Television, we've stocked our island with the ingredients for limitless conflict. No Conflict, No Drama.

Your campaign -- and your adventures -- should be an expression of your characters -- PCs and NPCs. Players that give you strong backgrounds are asking you to include those backgrounds in your campaign -- and you're absolutely required to do so. By the same token, your important NPCs should have a bit of backstory that informs who they are and what they're going to be looking for in your story.

But more importantly, think about how you can build conflicts into PCs and NPCs for your game -- and turn those conflicts into stories. If you've got a barbarian who loves to drink beer, you're going to need an NPC teetotaler cleric -- either as a PC or an NPC.

At the same time, your PCs may have stories which are not completely revealed at first. Using Jack as a model, here's what the show bible says about him: "…much of Jack's past is shrouded in mystery. Simply put, out's not something he likes to talk about -- but if he did, it would certainly explain his tattoos."

As a DM, given that in a PC background, aren't your wheels spinning already?

3. Mystery is engaging

Few shows have excited so much speculation about the inherent mysteries that LOST did.

Which brings us to what may be the key ingredient for LOST --

Mystery

The hope is that every episode will be anchored by some type of MYSTERY -- an event or task that gives each episode a driving investigative thread, even if that mystery is as simple as figuring out why there is seemingly no fresh water on the island, why everyone is getting sick, or where one of our characters has disappeared to.

For an RPG -- at least, for most RPGs before Gumshoe -- mysteries were a tough thing to include -- and games like 4e that excelled at combat and encounter design tended to sideline mystery as a compelling game element.

But the mysteries that LOST spun for it's audience were a critical part of what kept the show in people's minds from one week to the next. Watercooler debates about the nature of the island, the polar bear, the Dharma institute, and Locke's apparent mystical connection to the island -- those rivaled Facebook as a productivity sink at most workplaces.

What if your home game could keep your players just as engaged between sessions -- just as intrigued by the mysteries they're caught within.

4. Don't limit yourself to one type of story

The third part of the show bible includes a discussion of the sorts of stories that they could tell -- basically thumbnails for a wide variety of episodes they might shoot. Some sound like the seeds of episodes we saw -- others obviously didn't make it out of the writer's room, but the collection is a great example of the creative range that's possible, even within what could be a limited setting.

The key to many of them, goes back to my second point - character. Check out a couple of excerpts:

Vincent
In an attempt to find common ground with Walt, Michael ventures into the jungle to find his son's pet Labrador. Upon locating Vincent, Michael is surprised to see that not only has the fog's ear been bitten off, but the bite marks appear to be human.

Sawyer's Deal
Having cornered the market on alcohol by liberating all the booze from the fuselage, Sawyer refuses to turn over some of his booty to Jack, who needs it for his makeshift infirmary…but when Sawyer finds himself in that same infirmary after a run-in with a wild boar, the 'negotiations' take on a whole new tack. "

These -- like a great many of the 30 sample stories in the bible -- are examples of different potential story lines that come directly out of the characters and the drama they bring to the show. The same thing can be true of your PCs and NPCs if you take the time to develop the conflicts and tensions that exist between them.

If you're looking for ideas for building that sort of conflict between your players, take a look at an old column of mine that details using Fiasco as a tool for building those connections between characters [http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?574-Gamehackery ]

5. You Don't Need to have it all figured out at the start

One of the most fascinating things, reading this document, is that even though they're clearly holding some of their ideas back from the reader, they did not have the whole thing figured out when they started out.

Sure, there are things in the document that would not play out until several seasons into the show. But there are clearly details -- big, important things - that were left to figure out as they went along.

In other cases, there are signs here of things that changed by the time the show aired. Take Hurley, for example. The bio for him in the bible describes him as "born into a vast Puerto Rican family" who had "parlayed his skills into a career in asset recovery -- a Repo Man able to talk anyone out of anything." That's a lot different from the character who had been in a mental hospital and used the island's secret sequence of numbers to win the lottery.

In your own games, anything that is not nailed down already in the player's information is entirely free to change -- and anything they know already could also change, for a variety of reasons. Don't allow yourself to be trapped by past ideas -- if you come up with a better one, find a way to make it work, even if it means putting Hurley in the nuthouse.

###

So. That's what I'm getting out of it. What do YOU think are the most important lessons to be learned from LOST?

Kinak

First Post
I haven't seen any of Lost, but I think one lesson to learn from mystery shows (I'm thinking about Evangelion and Twin Peaks here) is that you don't need it all figured out from the start, but you need a good answer and to make sure everything reconciles with that answer. You should have a solid answer all the time, so no matter when you have to make the final reveal, you have something cool to show for it.

Now, that doesn't preclude having multiple possible answers (all of which can be reconciled with the facts) or even changing answers in mid-stream. But, whatever happens, you don't want to get to the end of your run and have people realize the mysteries were a sham, that you were just throwing noise up at them to trick them into thinking there was a pattern.

Cheers!
Kinak

Fergurg

Explorer
A couple more lessons.

6. You don't have to answer every question about everything.

We never did find out the name of the smoke monster, even though we got Jacob's name. It really never mattered, though it might be interesting.

7. It's OK to let people fill in the gaps - especially when they are wrong.

The final season with the flash-sideways glimpses going on, showing what would have happened if the island wasn't there, left the audience trying to reconcile what was going on and how these two concurrent realities were taking place; yet few, if any, speculated that it was the flash-sideways that wasn't the real world because we assumed that the plan to destroy the island worked and the timeline had been changed.

Another example was John Locke seeming to come back from the dead in the sixth season; everybody was trying to figure out how it was possible and nobody thought to ask the question of if it was possible. In other words, the most logical answer, Locke was still dead and someone else was pretending to be him, was not considered.

Derren

Hero
Nr 5 is completely and utterly wrong. This is exactly what killed LOST. That the writers themselves had no idea whats going on which made the series more absurd with every season to the point were the viewers stopped to care after they realized that there is no hidden truth to be discovered and instead just random events mashed together by the writers which can never be resolved in a plausible way. Thats why when you ask people about LOST, most will not remember the mystery filled first few seasons but how bad the last few seasons and the ending was.

I disagree with you in some other things, too, including the importance of Lost, but that is my biggest grief with that article.

The most important lesson from LOST is to not make the same mistakes as LOST did, namely have no idea what happens in your story.

Last edited by a moderator:

tomBitonti

Adventurer
I haven't seen any of Lost, but I think one lesson to learn from mystery shows (I'm thinking about Evangelion and Twin Peaks here) is that you don't need it all figured out from the start, but you need a good answer and to make sure everything reconciles with that answer. You should have a solid answer all the time, so no matter when you have to make the final reveal, you have something cool to show for it.

Now, that doesn't preclude having multiple possible answers (all of which can be reconciled with the facts) or even changing answers in mid-stream. But, whatever happens, you don't want to get to the end of your run and have people realize the mysteries were a sham, that you were just throwing noise up at them to trick them into thinking there was a pattern.

Cheers!
Kinak

Ditto on this. I've lost track of the number of shows which presented an idea, but didn't tie it up in the end. The ultimate feeling was one of having been tricked. Too often the hook used at a show's beginning turns into the noose that the writers cannot escape.

For example, if BSG was more about the drama of folks attempting to survive, with a bleak hope of a destination, with the destination being invented by the leaders, then let that gradually be learned by the presentation. Don't make the destination the focus of the show, make the protagonists understanding of the meaning of the journey be the focus. If Lost was about folks resolving incomplete issues of their past lives, then the mystery of the island ought to take a back seat.

Thx!

Tom

Crothian

First Post
I think if you wanted to learn from a truly groundbreaking TV show that was built around mysteries I'd have gone with Twin Peaks. Lost is pretty forgettable.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
3 Mystery! After watching the first half of the two hour pilot, I turned it off. I felt that the mystery of the unseen monster was physically impossible, and Lost was billed as a science fiction show, not a fantasy. Know your audience!

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
I think if you wanted to learn from a truly groundbreaking TV show that was built around mysteries I'd have gone with Twin Peaks. Lost is pretty forgettable.

That would be a good one; this week's inspiration was the timely drop of the LOST bible when I was working on trying to see which of my terrible ideas for a column would get closes to done. It could be very interesting to see a similar look at the Twin Peaks stuff, if it's available.

I think -- no matter what you think of the show -- it's interesting to see what the creators were pitching and telling themselves this early in the process. Seeing a document like this -- a behind the scenes artifact from early in the process -- is pretty cool. To me, anyway.

-rg

saskganesh

First Post
I really believe in number 5. You got to make allowance for the spontaneity of play and the wonders of ingame creation. I think that makes the medium rather different from a TV show that loses its way.

Remove ads

Remove ads