Covers Preview for Elemental Evil Adventurer's Handbook and Princes of the Apocalypse!

So, it's official now. The Elder Elemental Eye has been somehow released from The World of Greyhawk to unleash havoc in the Realms. No fantasy world was described in more detail than the Forgotten Realms, and they still manage to produce not one, but two storylines in a row with themes and antagonists that have nothing to do with the Realms. Good job, Wizards.

So, it's official now. The Elder Elemental Eye has been somehow released from The World of Greyhawk to unleash havoc in the Realms. No fantasy world was described in more detail than the Forgotten Realms, and they still manage to produce not one, but two storylines in a row with themes and antagonists that have nothing to do with the Realms. Good job, Wizards.

Wolfskin

Explorer
With the New Year, we finally get a glimpse at the covers of the upcoming Elemental Evil storyline for D&D 5E - Princes of the Apocalypse and the accompanying player sourcebook, Adventurer's Handbook.

For more D&D 5E schedule information, click here.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not hi res at all, but it's something!
SaveSaveSaveSave

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 37,857
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 29,312

the Jester

Legend
Yeah, had these not been set in the Realms, they would have been an almost sure-fire sell to me.

In the Realms? No interest.

For Christ's sake, the Temple of Elemental Evil, the Elder Elemental Eye and the whole elemental evil cult thing are all huge fixtures of Greyhawk. Sigh.

Vael

Legend
More Realms? I'm really wishing for non-Realms adventures. We'll see what goes into the Adventurer's Handbook. Hopefully it's not too specific to this adventure path.

TheCelric

First Post

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Cult_of_the_Elder_Elemental_Eye

It obviously didn't take the same form as it did in Greyhawk, but it's certainly a thing in the Realms. The first recorded cult was the same year that Drizzt came to the surface, The Pool of Radiance was seized by Tyranthraxus, and Sembia went to war in Featherdale.

Personally, I withhold judgement until it does something that "breaks" the Realms in a bad way until I condemn it. This seems like something that could easily happen in Chessenta again (where they (still) revere a Red Dragon as demi-god), and the PC's are once again there to stamp it out (maybe even with a throw-back call up from Mystra).

I have to agree with this sentiment.

They've said they'll do other settings IF they have a story, and then they pull stories from other settings to force them into the Realms.

Which also isn't nice on the Realms. It's taking an established setting and forcing a story into that world, changing lore to accommodate the storyline. Like how they had to radically change the motives and plans of the Cult of the Dragon for their first storyline. That's not how you tell a story set in an established world. The story is meant to fit and compliment the world and if a bit of lore doesn't mesh then the story has to change to accommodate the world, not the other way around.

More Realms? I'm really wishing for non-Realms adventures. We'll see what goes into the Adventurer's Handbook. Hopefully it's not too specific to this adventure path.

Keep in mind the storylines will also tie into the organized play program, affecting the villains and themes of those adventures. So they have to be in the Realms until that establishes themselves or they develop a method of moving between worlds. So the first real non-Realms adventure might be a Planescape/ extraplanar affair to allow PCs (or plots) to easily move between worlds.

Remove ads

Remove ads