• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Was Gandalf Just A 5th Level Magic User?

This article from Dragon Magazine, back in 1977, is likely very familiar to many of you (feel free to yawn - this item isn't for you!) However, there are many newer fans of D&D who don't even remember Dragon Magazine, let alone issues from nearly 40 years ago. In the article, Bill Seligman posits that Gandalf was merely a 5th level magic-user. Given Cubicle 7's recent announcement about an official Middle Earth setting for D&D, it seems like a nostalgia piece worth revisiting.

This article from Dragon Magazine, back in 1977, is likely very familiar to many of you (feel free to yawn - this item isn't for you!) However, there are many newer fans of D&D who don't even remember Dragon Magazine, let alone issues from nearly 40 years ago. In the article, Bill Seligman posits that Gandalf was merely a 5th level magic-user. Given Cubicle 7's recent announcement about an official Middle Earth setting for D&D, it seems like a nostalgia piece worth revisiting.

Some folks I hear discussing this topic these days take the position that Gandalf is actually a paladin. Certainly "wizards" in Tolkien's works aren't the same magic-missile-throwing folks as in regular D&D; in fact there are only five wizards in the whole of Middle Earth - and at least one of them (the 7th Doctor) is very clearly a druid.

What do you think? Is Gandalf a 5th level magic-user? What about in 5th Edition, given the upcoming Middle Earth release? I'm sure Cubicle 7 will tells for certain this summer, but until then...

Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 23.18.01.png

Bill is pretty much right, from the perspective of the D&D game system, as such.

But the D&D system and world is its own beast, which is amalgam of a bunch of different fantasy tropes (i.e. Appendix N). Some of the settings which are source material for the D&D Universe are filled with flashier magic, and so if we use the D&D Multiverse as a measuring stick, of course Middle-earth is "low magic."

Even the things which Gygax directly adapted from Tolkien are "translated", "tweaked", "gonzoified" (and even a bit "flattened") on their way into the D&D Multiverse.

It will be interesting to see how C7 does magic.

Just to point out two options:

1) One route would be to try to make the spell-casting system as similar to D&D as possible--even keeping the same spell levels, for cross-world compatibility's sake. This would result in what Bill Seligman describes. Basically a 7th- or 12th-level level cap.

2) Another route would be to make Middle-earth magic traditions completely different than magic in the D&D Multiverse. In this case, Middle-earth would cap out at the usual 20th level, but spell progression would be slower. The downside is that a 5e Middle-earth Magician would not be able to hold her own when playing in a cross-world D&D game.

Jabborwacky

First Post
It certainly does; it's prompted by the announcement of a 5E compatible Middle Earth. Plus, it's my website, which is always a bonus. :)

If its D&D compatible, can we nickname it Middle Oerth? :)

Edit: This is of such incredible importance, I should make a forum poll for this! No, wait. I promised myself to avoid the crazy sauce for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:

P.S. There is probably a 3rd way - of making a D&D Magician class which has enough class features (even non-magical features, such as drama-based abilities which effect the story) whereby it would stand up to an equivalent 20th-level D&D Wizard (or Sorcerer or Warlock), even though it has less flashy spells.

The non-magical classes such as Warrior, Burglar, and Ranger could also be equivalent in power to D&D Fighters, Rogues, Rangers all the way to 20th level. Though they would need to be re-flavored to match what the characters actually do in the stories. Even for these classes, the more gonzo non-magical abilities could be replaced with something more subtle.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.

So in a very low magic setting, a 5th level caster is a big deal.

He's probably a Wizard 5/magic initiate (druid).

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Some folks I hear discussing this topic these days take the position that Gandalf is actually a paladin.

I remember quite a bit of debate back in the day that Gandalf was a cleric in D&D terms!

(I always rather fancied the idea of Aragorn as a Paladin (even though he was the prototypical D&D ranger for sure).

Tony Vargas

Legend
A couple years ago I designed a faux Fellowship for a convention game using 1e, 3e & 4e rulesets. In the spirit of that old arcticle (or mocking it, perhaps) I made everyone 5th level ... sorta.

The Gandalf Clone, 'Vancegulf Mythreindeer' was:

1e: Human character-with-two-classes 9th level Fighter / 5th level Magic-User (yep, no experience anytime he drew his sword, 'Glamthing')
... oh, and psionic with enough psionic strength to pretty thoroughly smack down a Type VI demon in psionic combat.
But 'only' a 5th level magic-user - with a Staff of the Magi and Ring of Fire Elemental Command. ;P

3e: Half-Celestial 5th level Wizard, with the afore-mentioned magic items, of course. But 'only' a 5th level magic user - with a +5 LA template.

4e: Deva 5th level Wizard(Arcanist).

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads