RPG Crate Spotlight: Dungeon Crate

In the third installment of our RPG crate series, I interview Wayne Brekke, owner of Lords of Adventure and Wargames and the Dungeon Crate Subscription Box.

In the third installment of our RPG crate series, I interview Wayne Brekke, owner of Lords of Adventure and Wargames and the Dungeon Crate Subscription Box.

[h=3]The Beginning[/h]Brekke explained how he got started back in 2014:

I went to GenCon 2014 and was so enamored by all the vendors that I wanted to find a subscription service that offered them. I found that there was NO RPG accessory box available, so I looked into the business model and launched Dungeon Crate working with many vendors I found at GenCon. I created an umbrella company and named it after my Dungeons and Dragons group I had in high school – The Lords of Adventure and Wargames.

As for crate services:

I see the fascination with it. I also now see the benefit of showcasing products and companies in a way that entices the customer to look further into these companies. Our business is a great marketing tool and a way to expose many people to a wide variety of items and options. It’s the best form of direct marketing our vendors can get.

Brekke sees Dungeon Crate as more than a faceless entity:

I am creating a community of gamers who help us create a product that will bring fun to our subscribers while also helping out some of these micro-businesses that offer amazing items but don’t have the exposure.

And that community, accordin to Brekke, wants customer service first and foremost, followed by price vs. retail value.
[h=3]What's in the Box?[/h]Dungeon Crate provides role playing gamers and game masters with accessories that will enhance their gaming experience. It offers a monthly box of RPG accessories including adventures, dice, miniatures, tokens, terrain, and gaming lifestyle items.

A Dungeon Crate costs $29.95 plus shipping and handling. Typically each box offers a $40 or more retail value and often has exclusive items customers won’t find anywhere else.

Brekke plans to launch an official online store website for Lords of Adventure and Wargames:

Also, we are looking into franchising out to other countries so that our overseas customers can get a Dungeon Crate of their own without the insane shipping fees. We are also doing a Mega Crate for the holidays through our online store. Come the new year, we will have expanded even further, but I can’t give you details on that just yet…
[h=3]The Future[/h]Brekke has some very specific advice for entrepreneurs who would start their own crate service:

• Get your business in line first.
  • Keep organized.
  • Learn how to budget your box and your business. Don’t over spend. Follow a formula.
  • Market like a beast.
  • Find your niche.
  • Don’t take negative comments to heart, learn from them and use them to improve.
For more info, see the Dungeon Crate web site. We'll do another Mythoard review in the next installment and then interview another RPG crate service.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Vampyr3

Explorer
Am I the only one who doesn't see the value of crates? 40$ worth of stuff that I wouldn't buy for 10$, so don't even think of it at 29.99$ + shipping.

Nope, right there with ya on that.. They are overpriced and not worth it. Half the crap you get in them is just that crap, and you can get it cheaper piece by piece if you really want to buy some of the crap.. but to each there own I guess..

darjr

I crit!
The real attraction of the other non RPG crates is exclusives, imho. Like the D&D t-shirts and hoodies. Something similar might draw me in, if it was of enough value.

JRedmond

Explorer
The problem is they need a ton of subscribers to be able to profit on getting a good amount of items. The newest Dungeon Create literally had a t shirt, a one page adventure and a deck of critical fail cards. What a rip off.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads