• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana Into the Wild: New Unearthed Arcana Covers Wilderness Exploration

Ohh the Nentir Vale - Moon Hills example that Mearls had showed a screenshot of before. Nice.

Ohh the Nentir Vale - Moon Hills example that Mearls had showed a screenshot of before. Nice.

pukunui

Legend
February's Unearthed Arcana from WotC is here, and covers wilderness exploration. The new optional rules involve breaking travel into four phases: choosing a destination, choosing activities, resolving the activities and travel, and camping; plus a sample wilderness region from Nentir Vale: the Moon Hills region.

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 11.37.02.png

"This month, Unearthed Arcana wanders into the wilderness, with new ways to approach outdoor exploration.

"The rules for wilderness travel in chapter 5 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide and chapter 8 of the Player’s Handbook allow a DM to track a party’s progress for each hour of travel. Those rules work similarly to the rules for dungeon navigation, in that the players pick a direction and strike off in search of adventure, adjusting their path as they go .... The following approach to wilderness exploration and travel provides a new overlay for the existing rules from the Dungeon Master’s Guide and the Player’s Handbook. They’re built around the idea that the players have a specific destination in mind as the party sets out for the day. They also require that you take a new approach to designing the wilderness regions of your campaign as a DM."

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 11.37.02.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 11.37.02.png
    473.8 KB · Views: 21,183
Last edited by a moderator:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I guess Mike Mearls has been avidly studying Cubicle 7's work.
Which example makes me think a system like this could be great for establishing setting: travel activities in Eberron and Dark Sun would be as different from the Forgotten Realms as Middle Earth is.

More feats sound boring to me. These alternate/experimental rules systems are exactly the sort of thing I want to see more of in UA.

This. While I'm fine with UA being used to playtest possible new examples of "standard" material--subclasses, feats, spells--I'd really love to see them get more out there. These are free downloads and pure playtest stuff. Go hog wild. See how far you can push the envelope in a dozen different directions.

Remove ads

Remove ads