D&D (2024) New Unearthed Arcana Playtest Includes Barbarian, Druid, and Monk

New barbarian, druid, and monk versions, plus spells and weapons, and a revised Ability Score Improvement feat.

The latest Unearthed Arcana playtest packet is now live with new barbarian, druid, and monk versions, as well as new spells and weapons, and a revised Ability Score Improvement feat.

WHATS INSIDE

Here are the new and revised elements in this article:

Classes. Three classes are here: Barbarian, Druid, and Monk. Each one includes one subclass: Path of the World Tree (Barbarian), Circle of the Moon (Druid), and Warrior of the Hand (Monk).

Spells. New and revised spells are included.

The following sections were introduced in a previous article and are provided here for reference:

Weapons. Weapon revisions are included.

Feats. This includes a revised version of Ability Score Improvement.

Rules Glossary. The rules glossary includes the few rules that have revised definitions in the playtest. In this document, any underlined term in the body text appears in the glossary.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I will have to watch this again and perhaps take notes and have the old UA out but the proposed changes to the monk sound very interesting. The druid and barbarian is getting more attention and spells. Both conjurations and healing, thing are looking hopeful for those of us thinking that the spells need a balance pass.

Remathilis

Legend
Bbn: One Rage is now regained on a short rest mechanic.
Brutal Crit is gone, replaced with a kit of tactical options. Slow enemies, hurl foes.
World Tree: barbarian gets temp hp, greater reach on branches, extra teleports for self, more weapon masteries
Druid: more beast forms. Some temp hp on WS, you don't keep species traits in WS.
Moon: bonus spells list, they can cast spells from bonus list in WS form. Cure Wounds, Moonbeam, Dawn, Vampiric Touch.
New cantrips: starry whisp, font of moonlight
AC 13 + Wis or base beast AC
Temp HP
14th level: do more damage in beast form
Monk: dip points rebalanced, bonus action adjustments
Monk weapons are back.
Weapon mastery is gone.
Bonus attack with unarmed strike is just at-will!
Dex used to set DCs of shove/grapple
Patient Def, SotW have no-dip cost versions and upgraded with DIP.
Deflect attacks works on melee and ranged
Stunning strike takes extra force DMG, even if they save
self restoration no longer needs an action, same with superior defense and
perfect discipline is more generous
20th level monks gets to break 20 cap on Dex and Wis.
Open hand: wholeness of body no longer DIp
Quivering palm interaction with other attacks.
New spells: cantrips (see above)
revised: cure wounds and healing word upped in power (no more yoyo?). Conjure X spells changing to account for Summon spells. Now will create magical effects via spirits rather than as monsters. The big difference is no more pixie or unicorn conjuring.
New: Power Word: Fortify- lots of temp HP.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, interesting poikt: the RAW is that the Druid can only select from the PHB Beasts, but theybare expanding the Beast stst blocks present in the PHB. MM usage called out as a variant rule needing DM approval.

Hmmm, Druid people with passion about Wildshape, what think ye?

Monks get a major, fat power boost.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
So, interesting poikt: the RAW is that the Druid can only select from the PHB Beasts, but theybare expanding the Beast stst blocks present in the PHB. MM usage called out as a variant rule needing DM approval.

Hmmm, Druid people with passion about Wildshape, what think ye?

Monks get a major, fat power boost.
I'm liking these changes upon a first read through. I have a few little nit picks but for the most part I'd be happy with the druid if this was the final version.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm liking these changes upon a first read through. I have a few little nit picks but for the most part I'd be happy with the druid if this was the final version.
I don't have super strong feelings about Wildshape, but this does seem to me that this "PHB is the only selection of Beasts that we will vouch for in regards to Druid balance" approach would open up Beast design for Monsters in the MM and future Monster books, and provide a certain set of built-in safety guidelines whike still leaving DMs and tables free to go crazy and use other options.

Remove ads

Remove ads