D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Includes 5 Classes & New Weapon Mastery System

Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard

The latest playtest packet for One D&D has just landed, and features five classes (Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard) and the new Weapon Mastery system.

In this new Unearthed Arcana document for the 2024 Core Rulebooks, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Weapon Mastery property, updates to weapons, new and revised spells, several new feats, and five classes: Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard. You will also find an updated rules glossary that supercedes the glossary of any previous playtest documents.

Jotting down notes as I watch...

Warlock
  • Pact boon moved to 1st level
  • Patron choice at 3rd level
  • Pact Magic replaced with Spellcasting, up to 5th level akin to Paladin / Ranger
  • Still have Eldritch Invocations, including Mystic Arcanum available earlier to augment spellcasting options
  • Lots of Invocation reworks - can cast through Gaze of Two Minds
  • Gain a Contact Patron ability
  • All warlocks get Hex and Eldritch Blast for free
  • Subclass in Playtest is Fiend patron
  • Dark One's Blessing triggers when creature dies within 5 feet regardless of who deals killing blow
  • Expanded spell list replaced with Patron spells that are always prepared rather than simply added to spell list, and can cast one spell per day without expending spell slot
  • New Warlock exclusive spells
  • All Warlocks get training with Medium Armor
Sorcerer
  • Subclass moved to 3rd level
  • New feature at 1st level, Innate Sorcery, gives two Sorcerer exclusive cantrips - Sorcerous Burst (choice of damage type with exploding die mechanic - d6 damage, add extra dies when you roll a 6) and Chaos Bolt
  • Metamagic moved to second level, more options (start with 3 rather than 2, can change one out with long rest)
  • New features/Sorcerer exclusive spells(?): Sorcerous Vitality, Arcane Eruption, Sorcery Incarnate, Arcane Apotheosis at 18th level - just names, no description as of yet
  • Sorcery Incarnate - get random number of Sorcery Points back upon use, also functions like a "Sorcerer's version of Rage" while active - can use multiple Metamagic options on one spell, advantage on spell attack rolls
  • Subclass is Draconic Sorcerer
  • No longer have to spend Sorcery Point to gain resistance to associated damage type
  • Can now communicate with any Dragon type creature
  • Gain Draconic Exhalation - optional modification for Sorcerous Burst turning it into a breath weapon hitting multiple targets
  • Losing Draconic Presence
  • More ways to use selected damage type - Elemental Affinity, Draconic Exhalation, and revised Dragon Wings
  • Dragon Wings linked to Sorcery Incarnate - no longer always on flight, but can be flapped to deal AoE damage
  • All Metamagic options revisited - Careful Spell now functions more like Sculpt Spell
  • Sorcerous Vitality can heal self
Wizard
  • Not as many changes as Sorcerer or Warlock
  • Academic at 2nd level - bonuses to ability checks related to knowledge checks(?)
  • Wizard's Spellbook at 1st level - includes ritual casting, can be used as spellcasting focus
  • Exclusive spells: Scribe Spell (no details, but interacts with Wizard's spellbook), Memorize Spell (change out one prepared spell for another), Modify Spell (change certain aspects of spell in advance - damage type given as example - only one Modified Spell prepared at a time), Create Spell (take a spell you've modified and add it to your Spellbook permanent as unique spell option - DMs Guide will also include more broad "creating your own spell" options and guidance)
  • Evoker Subclass
  • Evocation Savant directly gives you Evocation spells
  • Potent Cantrips now works on attack roll cantrip as well as saving throw cantrips
Fighter
  • Weapon Mastery stuff
  • Second Wind can be used more than once between rests (more uses at higher levels)
  • New features for customizing Weapon Mastery on you weapons
  • New higher level feature - Unconquerable, give extra uses of Indominable while also triggering Second Wind
  • Biggest updates are the Weapon Mastery, Weapon Expert, and Weapon Adept feature
  • Battle Master Maneuvers still present
  • Champion is Playtest subclass
  • Remarkable Athlete replaced with Adaptable Victor (gives option to change around skill proficiencies) and Heroic Warrior (can give self advantage in combat)
  • Survivor now also gives advantage on death saves, and get the effect of rolling a 20 on death saves when rolling an 18+
Barbarian
  • Weapon Mastery at 1st level
  • Rage can be sustained by spending bonus action, in addition to existing methods (attacking, forcing enemy to make saving throw, etc.)
  • Rage lasts longer (up to 10 minutes)
  • Danger Sense and Feral Instinct now merged
  • Brutal Critical moved to higher level, but stronger
  • Berserker is Playtest Subclass
  • Frenzy redesigned - no longer causes exhaustion, while using Reckless Attacks you deal extra damage (number of d6 equal to rage bonus) on first target hit each round
General
  • Going to give the Experts and Priests another pass
  • Handful of new feats
  • New Epic Boons - more epic
  • Weapon Mastery feat
I think those are the big points of note brought up in the video - let me know if I missed something.

NOTE: Playtest packet wasn't out yet when I started, so this is only going over what they covered in the video.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I expected the reliance on Ahoet Rests to be mitigated, I did not expect Warlocks to become the half-caster of Mages. I think I like it?
I was a little confused as to whether the new Mystic Arcanum invocation go up to 9th level still, or are capped at 5th.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Jotting down notes as I watch...

Warlock
  • Pact boon moved to 1st level
  • Pact Magic replaced with Spellcasting
  • Spellcasting up to 5th level akin to Paladin / Ranger
  • Still have Eldritch Invocations, including Mystic Arcanum available earlier to augment spellcasting options.
  • Lots of Invocation reworks - can cast through Gaze of Two Minds
  • Gain a Contact Patron ability
  • All warlocks get Hex and Eldritch Blast for free
I'm a big fan of diversity in game systems. Warlocks were one of the few unique classes and it's a sad day to see that change.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I was a little confused as to whether the new Mystic Arcanum invocation go up to 9th level still, or are capped at 5th.
No, it sounds like the Invocations are unchanged or even beefed up: so choice if Pact and Invocations actually allows the Warlock to be flexible between half-caster or full-caster, depending on build choices.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
No, it sounds like the Invocations are unchanged or even beefed up: so choice if Pact and Invocations actually allows the Warlock to be flexible between half-caster or full-caster, depending on build choices.
If the invocation lets you get a new spell at a level = half warlock level round up, like a normal full caster, I'd be pretty OK with that. Adding that onto a half-caster chassis brings you pretty close to a full caster.

Remove ads

Remove ads