A Crunchy Take On Conan From Modiphius Entertainment

With the latest in their string of popular games based on licensed properties, Modiphius Entertainment has released their take on the character of Conan in their latest game for their 2d20 System of rules.

With the latest in their string of popular games based on licensed properties, Modiphius Entertainment has released their take on the character of Conan in their latest game for their 2d20 System of rules.

204217.jpg
View attachment 95751

Conan in An Age Undreamed Of is based up Robert E. Howard's world of Hyborian and iconic anti-hero Conan the Barbarian. Players will be creating characters immersed in the unique lands of Hyborian, as Conan provides a fully gameable setting, derivative of Howard's fiction.
Character creation is an involving and crunchy ten step process. I made a character to get a better feel for this review. There's a lot of room to create pretty much any character theme. The game offers ten Archetypes (something like character classes), but each are very customizable as players determine the background, caste, skills and whole host of other features. How you create character is left to your group, be it by random roll (traditional D&D method) or player selection, and every choice has mechanical as well as roleplay significance.

The mechanics for Conan involves a number of different elements, but use only two die types: d20 & d6. The most common roll will be a skill check, which is a roll under, sometimes variable (1d20 - 3d20), but typically 2d20 dice system. The Target Number of a skill check is derived from the characters ability; and success is the result if the player rolls equal or under that target number. The GM can option to increase or decrease the overall Difficulty Rating of a skill test (based on conditions) by increasing or reducing the amount successes required on a specific roll.

The target audience of the game will likely be those who like some mechanical crunch. The basic mechanics are light, but combat tactics have slightly crunchier options than Savage Worlds. One of the interesting features is Doom and Momentum, which are essentially meta-mechanics, which accumulate point pools. Momentum points are acquired by player characters whenever they gain more than one success on a given check and can be later spent by any member of the group for a variety of advantageous purposes. Doom works with similar fashion for GMs and is used to ratchet up tension, by creating inconveniences and complications within the story.

The PDF digitizing in before my screen is a full color behemoth at 440 pages and includes a separate PDF of character sheets and a color map detailing part of the Hyborian world. A starter adventure and a heaping handful of NPC foes or potential allies are included. The Table of Contents is minutely detailed, including individual page and chapter hyperlinks and a three page Index. There is nothing left to want in visual representation and art. Text is in standard two column format. Did I mention the PDF is gorgeous? It is.

The setting elements are well done, the combat mechanics look intriguing. One place where the game succeeds is in presenting Howard's work in a thorough manner. That said, while grammar is respectable, I thought the writing could have been tighter in a few spots. I think that GMs will occasionally find themselves hunting for things. Especially as when referencing rules and such and especially if this is your first delve in Modiphius' system.

Conan Adventures in An Age Undreamed Of is well put together. If you're a fan of Howard's work, most certainly this is the RPG you've been waiting for, if in fact you are still waiting.

Disclosure: This review includes affiliate links. The PDF of Conan Adventures in An Age Undreamed was provided at no cost, for the purpose of this review.

contributed by Jeff Duncan

Reynard

Legend
I love Modiphius' take on Conan. It really ties strongly to Howard's original work (as opposed to later pastiches and such) while softening some of the elements that make that work problematic decades later. The system works well and feels both powerful and desperate and magic is flavorful and dangerous.

Amazingly they managed to make the same core system work great for Star Trek, too. There are enough little tweaks that each game sits in its genre despite sharing a spine. I also love Mutant: Year Zero, though that is not a 2d20 game.

Aephix

Villager
Yes, player characters can learn to do sorcery (in addition to petty magic, alchemy, and other forms of magic). Sorcery requires characters to permanently lose Resolve (basically mental health) to learn spells and temporarily lose it to cast spells. Failures on Sorcery checks can incur additional Resolve loses. There is a small selection of spells in the main rules and a larger collection in the Book of Skelos. The rules are slightly compartmentalized as having sorcerous PC's isn't the setting default and may require special attention and work from the gamemaster.

Last edited by a moderator:

lyle.spade

Adventurer
Great presentation of the setting and story, and great system. There are some good reviews of it on this site (I'd like to think the one I wrote is good, too, but it's there). Yes, it's crunchier than 5e, but not as fiddly as PF, I think. 2d20 has more moving parts, but none of them are inherently complex. The learning curve is not so much steep as it is long - or, longer than 5e, if that's a baseline, since there are simply more things to remember in order to play the game well. For example, there are far more uses of Momentum than of Inspiration. I've found that 2d20 just takes longer, but it's not more complicated to do so.

Slit518

Adventurer
I have this game, I got it digitally from supporting the new Conan MMO. I found the table top RPG they created terrible. I really wasn't my cup of tea, unfortunately, because I really like the lore of the Conan world.

I can't site exacts, it was a while ago when I got my digital version and I looked it over. I just remember not liking it at all.

Darth Solo

Explorer
My favorite fantasy setting, which has led me to give the game a hard look. I still remember TSR's old Conan game. This new system by Modiphius certainly plays well from what I've seen and heard.

lyle.spade

Adventurer
I have this game, I got it digitally from supporting the new Conan MMO. I found the table top RPG they created terrible. I really wasn't my cup of tea, unfortunately, because I really like the lore of the Conan world.

I can't site exacts, it was a while ago when I got my digital version and I looked it over. I just remember not liking it at all.

I was introduced to 2d20 through Star Trek Adventures first, having read it from the playtest materials. I didn't like it then, and found the explanation of them in those packets to be confusing. Before buying the game I wanted to try out the system and played Conan at Free RPG Day last year, and that's where it clicked, convincing me to get STA, but also introducing me to Conan. The system plays far better than it might seem on paper. Try to find someone who runs it and play - that'd be a much better way than reading the book alone. It was for me.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads