Star Trek Adventures 2nd Edition

Modiphius Announces Star Trek Adventures 2nd Edition

ngenius

Adventurer
No you can’t. That is the problem. You read the dice with different symbols on them that don’t adhere to the values on a normal die. You could table reference or learn them off by half, but this is frustrating for players. Essentially, the game is encouraging all players to go out and buy a set - something that can be difficult when they aren’t readily available in some countries like my own and they are expensive.
hether or not the design is "worth it" is not up to you to decide for anyone but you.

Please speak for yourself.
Star Trek is very playable with just normal dice (several d6 and two d20). Modiphius sells the special Star Trek themed ones for collectors who may wish more immersion, but regular d6 work just fine.

1 = 1 point
2 = 2 points
3 = ignored
4 = ignored
5 = 1 point and special effect
6 = 1 point and special effect

d20 like any regular d20 but read inverse of D&D d20. Therefore, in Star Trek you get the following:
d20 = 1 (critical success)
d20 = 20 (critical failure)

Staffan

Legend
Yeah, they're not as wonky as Star Wars/Genesys, and it should be fairly easy to learn. I modified a brick of regular black d6es so I painted the 3s and 4s black and all the dots save one on each 5 and 6 green, which should hopefully be clear enough. But I do wish they sold effect dice (ideally in a game-agnostic form) separately instead of just as part of themed sets along with d20s and at very high prices.

I mean, if Evil Hat can sell a 12-pack of Fate Dice (in three separate colors) for $15, or $18 with a kickback to Jim Butcher, I don't see why Modiphius has to charge $23 for a set of six dice, including two d20s I could just as easily use regular d20s for.

modiphius

Explorer
Yeah, they're not as wonky as Star Wars/Genesys, and it should be fairly easy to learn. I modified a brick of regular black d6es so I painted the 3s and 4s black and all the dots save one on each 5 and 6 green, which should hopefully be clear enough. But I do wish they sold effect dice (ideally in a game-agnostic form) separately instead of just as part of themed sets along with d20s and at very high prices.

I mean, if Evil Hat can sell a 12-pack of Fate Dice (in three separate colors) for $15, or $18 with a kickback to Jim Butcher, I don't see why Modiphius has to charge $23 for a set of six dice, including two d20s I could just as easily use regular d20s for.
Custom dice are expensive to produce - we have to pay for the royalties to Paramount, two different sets of tooling in the factory, shipping from china, packaging, staff who designed it and worked on the range, marketing and so on. It's not cheap to work on a major international IP and do it properly.

As pointed out though, you absolutely don't need them you can use normal dice.

Last edited:

ChoomInCT

Villager
Custom dice are expensive to produce - we have to pay for the royalties to Paramount, two different sets of tooling in the factory, shipping from china, packaging, staff who designed it and worked on the range, marketing and so on. It's not cheap to work on a major international IP and do it properly.

As pointed out though, you absolutely don't need them you can use normal dice.
The dice sets for Dune are really nice. I also love my Klingon dice set. I play online more than in person these days but still am happy to have them as part of my collection.

ChoomInCT

Villager
This is the first time I've heard this sentiment.

It makes sense to me. The purpose of the starter set is to get people to buy the core book(s). If people play the starter set and think "This is fun, I should buy the next one" and find out the 2e core book isn't for sale, there is a risk they end up buying another RPG book (possibly even 1e) rather than wait for the new book.

Also, I'm sure the production cycle plays a factor (the core book is certainly made first).
Totally agree. (Also, Pendragon Starter Set, please call your office....)

mykesfree

Adventurer
And here I just bought the Tricorder edition of the old version... but then again, it'll probably be a while before playing it either way. I think I need to give 2d20 a workout in a more traditional game like Infinity before trying Star Trek on.
Why? Star Trek as an RPG has been around since the 80s. Just go for Star Trek.

Remove ads