Another 10 Mordenkainen's Tome Questions!

Earlier today I answered ten questions about Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes. I have some spare time right now -- so I'll answer another ten questions. First ten questions, one question each, don't ask me to list reams of content or locate a single keyword in a 250-page book I just got, and remember this isn't an essay assignment. Below is a handy-dandy summary of the answers to the previous set of ten questions. For the next ten questions - ask away! Time, as before, is limited.

mordy2.jpg

What comprises the list of all new player options (races, archetypes, feats, spells, etc.) in the book?
This is what I see as I page through (bear in mind I've literally just got the book, so might miss something):

Elf subraces -- eladrin, sea elf, shadar kai
Dwarf subraces -- duergar
Gith race, plus subraces -- githyanki, githzerai
Gnome subraces -- deep gnome
Tiefling subraces -- Asmodeus, Baalzebul, Dispater, Fierna, Glasya, Levistus, Mammon, Mephitopheloes, Zariel

Deep Gnome feat -- Svirfneblin Magic

Is there any discussion, description, detail, mention, or whatever of Tieflings and Aasimars, or Tiefling or Aasimar cultures? There's a bunch of Tielfing subraces, each linked to a Lord of the Nine Hells. And discussion on diabolical cults, personality traits/ideals/bonds/flaws. The whole first 30 pages or so deals with demons, devils, etc. I'm not immediately seeing Aasimar anywhere, but that doesn't mean they're not mentioned.

Do tieflings vary in appearance based on their new possible lineages? I know they may have some new features, but what about their physical appearance? They don't mention physical appearance, no.

Can you give us a quick description of the Oblex (monster)? Oblex Spawn is a Cr 1/4 tiny ooze. Green. Amorphous and Aversion to Fire. Does bludgeoning and psychic damage with its pseudopod attack.

Adult Oblex is CR 5, medium. Eat memories does psychic damage and memory drains the target - -1d4 from ability checks or attacks. Each time it increases to d6, d8, etc. until d20 when the victim falls unconscious. Oblex learns all its languages and proficiencies. Sulfurous Impersonation lets it assume the appearance of a memory drained victim.

Elder Oblex is CR 10.

Does the first section detailing the Blood War provide enough info to run a Planescape campaign (or provide any tantalizing hints that we might see future Planescape products for 5E)? It doesn't detail Sigil, so I'd guess no. I've never run a PS campaign though, so I'm not super qualified to judge what's needed to run one.

Is the Giff a playable race? How much Giff content? Giff are not a playable race. Giff have one page as a monster (including stat block).

Does the book contain anything explicit on using it with different D&D worlds/settings (like how SCAG had sidebars with suggestions for renaming or similar conversions of new class and races elements to non-FR settings), or does the “multiverse” conceit operate as if the material is basically the same (if only mythologically) in all games? Various mentions in sidebars, but not additional rules. Like the Halfling chapter has a sidebar which mentions Halflings in FR, Greyhawk, Krynn, Athas.

Any references to Mystara (other than the Nightwalker)? There are no immediately obvious big references to Mystara I saw on my flick-through, but bear in mind I haven't read every word.

Any information on Duergar in other settings besides the Forgotten Realms? No, just FR.

What's the mention about Elder Evils? Yes, in the Star Spawn entry. The Star Spawn are servants and heralds of the Elder Evils. The Elder Evils are beings which exist in realms lethal to mortal life and cannot enter the Material Plane. There's about 3 paragraphs on Elder Evils and five Star Spawn stat blocks, such as the Star Spawn Larva Mage which is like one of those Kyuss servants in Age of Worms.

They mentioned that there might be celestial versions of the fey eladrin. If so, are there any differences? I'm not seeing anything. Doesn't mean it's not there, but I can't find it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Is here any mention of Eberron in the book?

I haven't seen Eberron mentioned in the text, but bear in mind that I just got it and haven't read every word, so I can't promise that there is no mention of it. There's no big header that I can see with the word "Eberron" in it.

3/10! 7 to go!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
How do the tiefling subraces differ from each other mechanically? Any racial abilities stand out?

Most have a free cantrip, and at third level get a specific once/day 3rd level spell, and another at 5th level.

For example, Baalzebul -- gets the thaumaturgy cantrip, plus ray of sickness at 3rd level, and crown of madness at 5th level. Mephistopheles gets the mage hand cantrip, burning hands at 3rd level, and flame blade at 5th level.

4/10. 6 to go!

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases