[OT] The jokes you hate

Talath

Explorer
As I spend my time at the EN World message boards, I have come to realize people on these boards, most of them anyway, hate one-of, two-of, or all three of the following jokes:

1) The Orc and Pie.

2) All your base are belong to us.

3) Anything in 1337 speak.

With that in mind:

411 j00r 0rc 4nd Pi3 4r3 b310ng 70 uz

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: Re: [OT] The jokes you hate

BronzeDragon said:
[re Orc and Pie, and 1337-speak]

Uh, sorry for my ignorance, but what are those?

And no, this is no troll. I actually don't know what you are talking about.

Well, it's really very simple. Orc and Pie is an old TV game show from the 70s, I believe. There are three doors. One has an Orc behind it, and another has a Pie. You pick a door, and if it has the Pie behind it, you get to eat it. If you get the Orc, you have to fight it. So anyway, you pick a door, and then Monte Haul (no relation to Monte Cook), who's the host of the game show, opens another door that has nothing behind it. You can then choose whether to stay with the door you picked, or switch to the other unopened door. It's an elementary exercise in conditional probability, but one that surprisingly many people get wrong. This puzzle is what has led to the tradition of excessively cerebral campaigns being called "Monte Haul".

As for 1337-speak, I believe it originates from the Los Angeles Police Department's codes for different sorts of offences. A code 1337 is a case of software piracy, and so software pirates are 1337-speakers. The famous new wave band, Van Halen, also released an album with the same title.

Hope this helps!

Ealli

First Post
Re: Re: [OT] The jokes you hate

BronzeDragon said:

Uh, sorry for my ignorance, but what are those?

And no, this is no troll. I actually don't know what you are talking about.

The Orc and the Pie was the world's shortest (yet complete) module. It was written by Monte Cook and posted on his website. Unfortunately it appears he has taken it down. Basically the adventure was a single room, with an orc and a pie.

1337 speak is using numerals, special characters and any other horrible mangling of the English language to make your speach seem 'cool'

Asmo

First Post
Originally posted by hong:
"As for 1337-speak, I believe it originates from the Los Angeles Police Department's codes for different sorts of offences. A code 1337 is a case of software piracy, and so software pirates are 1337-speakers. The famous new wave band, Van Halen, also released an album with the same title."

I don´t know if Hong is ironic in this post (I´m from Europe and i´ve never heard of Orc and the Pie and the Monty Haul stuff beside this forum), but I must clarify one thing:
Van Halen has never made a record called called "1337" but one
named "1984" and yet another one "OU812". Maybe he mixed them up?
Asmo

Wicht

Hero
To all concerned. Read Hong's sig before replying to him. It will save you some trouble and potential emberassment.

Deedlit

First Post
I don't mind any, but there are people who really use 1337-5p34K too much, and it gets annoying.
Shouldn't this have been a poll though?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases