[OT] The jokes you hate

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Re: Re: [OT] The jokes you hate

BronzeDragon said:

Uh, sorry for my ignorance, but what are those?

And no, this is no troll. I actually don't know what you are talking about.

Orc and Pie is a very short, satirical adventure by Monte Cook. It should be on his site somewhere ( www.montecook.com ), but I can't locate it right now.

The strange language cited above ("1337") is something I don't really understand either. It seems to be computer-programmer thing, in which English is mangled by way of substitution of numbers for letters, shorthand ways to write words, and an overdeveloped sense of one's hipness.

Monty Haul is a reference to a 1970s American TV game show called "Let's Make A Deal." Contestants tried to decide between prizes, often between one which was known, and one which was "hidden behind door number one." It became linked to D&D back in the 70s, due to the way many D&D dungeons were just a series of doors to be kicked in and the room beyond looted of treasure. It is a way to denote games in which there is way too much treasure given out.

Last edited:

keb

First Post
Re: Re: [OT] The jokes you hate

Never saw it on these boards, but there are people who like to pOsT iN aLtErNaTiNg CaPs. Why? Who knows.

BronzeDragon said:

Uh, sorry for my ignorance, but what are those?

And no, this is no troll. I actually don't know what you are talking about.

The Orc and Pie business had me confused too. :) When I first noticed it, I thought it was some bizarre reference to the new Lisa Loeb album....

Maudlin

First Post
The 1337-speak was actually a way for olden-days' hackers to try to evade government surveillance, since they scanned email and usenet posts for specific words. If you replace letters by numerals, you defeat the search algorithms and/or give monitoring government agents severe eye strain. They liked to call themselves 'elite', hence 'leet or 1337.

I think reality should adopt Hong's version though, it's far more interesting. "All teams respond, leeching of Neverwinter Nights is confirmed, we have a 1337 in progress! Dammit, where's that chopper?"

Remove ads