I scoff at Magic Items!

Limper

First Post
I was just wondering if my reaction is common or if I'm just odd.

When your gaming and the BBEG enemy wizard pulls out a Wand or Staff... really if they pull out any Item do you breath a sigh of relief? Personally I do because I know its an easy save. Fireball from wand DC 14... oooooooo, pah not even a shudder. Fireball Cast at you DC 20-26 depending now that HURTS.

Heck as far as wands go only Magic Missiles and Enervate are worth getting excited about after lvl 7 or so. In the realm of Staves some could be dangerous but really at those costs whats the worry.

Is it bad that I think that there is nothing to fear from a magic item?

boothbey

First Post
Well...in my game, the DC of the save is based on the person who crafted it. The DC is the same as the spell cast by the creator of the item. My party never thinks they are gonna get off easy if someone pulls a wand or staff.

It may not be right, but works for me. :)

Limper

First Post
Indeed that would be something to fear... not true to cannon but a nice personal touch.

How do you calculate the DC factor into the cost/sale value of items?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I sort of agree here. Most magic item save DC's tend to be around the mid-teens, and by around 10th level or so, most characters, especially those with moderately good saves, tend to just laugh at that. By then, they have save bonuses of around, what, six or seven, taking attribute bonuses into account? That's enough to easily get past most DC rolls the majority of the time.

That is true, but remember, not every spell has a save (Ice Storm) or must be targeted at you. A Wand of Blinking or Improved Invisibility used by the enemy Rogue might still be very nasty. (And a Staff of Healing can be a good equipment for anyone, too)

Some spells have save that do only reduce, but not negate the effect. If not everybody has Evasion, a Wand of Fireball or a Staff with Cone of Cold is still very nasty...

And it is possible (even if unusual and costly) to make a wand or staff with the Heighten feat in it.

The advantage of these rules are that spellcasters are still better in casting spells than someone who happens to got Use Magic Device and dozens of Wands, Staffs and so on...

Mustrum Ridcully

hong

WotC's bitch
The last few times a BBEG has pulled out a magic item on us, it's been a fighter and the item has been a level draining sword. Not nice.

Chronosome

First Post
I agree with the Archchancellor on this one.

The system's very fluid, and what the "crap save DC" system does, in the devious view, is lull players (like you, Limper) into a false sense of security... As a DM, I'd take advantage of that (no offense) cocky POV.

Or...make a feat! Feats solve all our problems, don't they? ;)

[COLOR="sky blue"]ATTUNE WAND [General]
You can have a wand rely on your magical potential instead of its own.
___Requirements: Craft Wand.
___Benefit: When creating a wand, you may have its saving throw DC determined by your appropriate ability modifier. Doing this adds an additional 250 gp times the ability modifier to the wand's base price.
___For example--Hennet the 6th level sorcerer, while creating a wand of lightning bolt, decides to attune it. He has a Charisma score of 16, granting him a +3 ability modifier. He adds an additional 750gp to his base price (6 times 3 times 750gp), bringing the wand's total base price to 7500gp. He needs to spend 3750gp in raw materials, and 300 XP to complete his wand.
___An attuned wand can still be used by any character with the wand's spell on their class spell list. If an attuned wand's user possesses the wand's attuned appropriate ability score modifier or less (in Hennet's case, a Charisma modifier of +3), its save DC is determined by it's wielder's score.
___Normal: A wand's saving throw DC is 10 + [its spell level x 1.5].[/COLOR]

The way I'd note an attuned wand is:
attuned wand of blahdeeblah (Att ABILITY +#modifier)

Example:
Hennet's attuned wand of lightning bolt (6th-level caster, Att Cha +3)

They're kind of like mighty composite wands, hehe... I think that'll work. Your prices may vary, of course. :)

Last edited:

Gez

First Post
I would rather make the feat this way:

Bolster* Magic Item

(* Not sure if this is really the most appropriate verb)

When you use a spell-trigger item, the DC of the saving throw is based on your own spellcasting ability modifier; and the caster level is based on your own level. For example, a 16th level wizard with an Intelligence of 20 and a wand of fireball, when using said wand, the DC would be 18 (as if the wizard was casting fireball himself) rather than the default 14; and the fireball would deal 10d6 rather than the default 5. Furthermore, general feats that affect spell DC such as Spell Focus, or the caster level for purpose of overcoming spell resistance such as Spell Penetration, apply. You can't apply, however, any metamagic feat.

This way, the BBEG has an effective weapon, and the players just loot a crappy thing. :D

kingpaul

First Post
Limper said:
Indeed that would be something to fear... not true to cannon but a nice personal touch.

How do you calculate the DC factor into the cost/sale value of items?
Where is the canon you're referring to? We play that the DC is whatever the creator's DC is for the spell(s) in question. I mean, if a 20th level wizard creates a staff of fireballs as a 10th level spell (the max damage for that spell), then that staff is going to be throwing fireballs that deal 10d6 points of damage, Reflex for 1/2.

Remove ads