Prerequisites

The requirements that must be met in order for a character to
create the item.

It is possible for more than one character to cooperate in the
creation of an item, with each participant providing one or more
of the prerequisites. In some cases, cooperation may even be
necessary, such as if one character knows some of the spells
necessary to create an item and another character knows the rest

I can't help but notice that potion & scrolls don't list any "Prerequisites" for their creation. Yes, you need to know the spell, but is that officially a "Prerequisite" in terms of cooperation?

The text above comes from the section of the SRD where it is explaining the text at the end of a wonderous item description. Does this imply that you can only cooperate in the creation of wonderous items?

By "Prerequisites", do they mean specifically the things listed in the "Prerequisites" section of the item description? If so, then potions and scrolls have no such section. If not, then can't you split up xp cost and other requirements that are not explicitly listed in that section? Neither option sounds good.

Balance-wise, I would say that you can cooperated on potions and scrolls, and you cannot cooperate with regards to xp cost on anything. But I'm not seeing this supported in the rules as written.

dcollins

Explorer
No, I'm afraid you're making things too complicated. Potions, scrolls, and wands are clearly intended to work the same way as other items: the Prerequisites include "feats, spells, and miscellaneous requirements..." according to DMG p. 178, which makes the unlisted potions/ scrolls/ wands work just the same way as anything else.

The language you quoted appears on DMG p. 178, and is nowhere near anything specific to "wondrous items".

Nish

First Post
So can a cleric collaborate with a wizard with the scribe scroll feat to create a scroll of Cure Light Wounds?

Could a wizard collaborate with a cleric that has the brew potion feat to create a potion of Spider Climb?

hong

WotC's bitch
Nish said:
So can a cleric collaborate with a wizard with the scribe scroll feat to create a scroll of Cure Light Wounds?

Could a wizard collaborate with a cleric that has the brew potion feat to create a potion of Spider Climb?

Yes, in both cases. The character with the feat pays the XP cost.

IceBear

Explorer
While Hong is correct by the rules, I don't think I'd allow anyone but the creator to scribe a scroll.

It just seems too weird to me to have a cleric standing over the wizard's shoulder and directing him how to scribe a divine spell while an arcane spellcaster's life force is used to power it later when the scroll is used.

I have no issues with potion collaboration though, mainly because I can see the wizard brewing the potion and then the cleric casting the spell into the potion to power it.

Actually, I'd probably allow a cleric to collaborate with a cleric and an arcane caster with an arcane caster when it comes to scribing scrolls, but I probably wouldn't allow them to mix.

All that said, by the rules, they could and if push came to shove, I'd probably rule exactly like Hong.

IceBear

Last edited:

Rel

Liquid Awesome
So riddle me this, Batman:

If a Wizard and a Cleric colaborate on making a scroll of cure light wounds, is that an arcane or divine scroll? The answer seems obvious but the implication is that Wizards can scribe divine scrolls and Clerics can scribe arcane scrolls.

Kinda makes me say hmm.

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
The scroll is not divine, just the spell written into it. There is not a "Scribe Divine Scroll" or "Scribe Arcane Scroll" feat, there is just "Scribe Scroll". So the wizard prepares the parchment and the cleric casts the spell into it. Voila, a scroll with a divine spell stored in it, created by and arcane caster. I can live with that.

IceBear

Explorer
Xahn'Tyr said:
The scroll is not divine, just the spell written into it. There is not a "Scribe Divine Scroll" or "Scribe Arcane Scroll" feat, there is just "Scribe Scroll". So the wizard prepares the parchment and the cleric casts the spell into it. Voila, a scroll with a divine spell stored in it, created by and arcane caster. I can live with that.

I guess my whole problem with that it I don't see that's how you make a scroll, a potion yes, but not a scroll.

To me you don't cast a spell unto a prepared piece of paper and you have a scroll. You have to write (scribe) it. Thus, I have an issue with a wizard *writing* out a cleric spell and visa versa, because the magic is so different.

Like I said earlier, I am sure that it's perfectly legal by the rules, but I'll probably have the requirement that the spellcaster that scribes the scroll must also know the spell because it fits better in my mind.

IceBear

Bronn Spellforger

First Post
IceBear said:

Like I said earlier, I am sure that it's perfectly legal by the rules, but I'll probably have the requirement that the spellcaster that scribes the scroll must also know the spell because it fits better in my mind.

IceBear
Icebear's rule is consistant with the rules in the PH for scribe scroll. According to the Scribe Scroll feat:

"The character can create a scroll of any spell that the character knows."

Since a Wizard doesn't know Cure Light Wounds, he can't prepare a scroll for it.. nor could he assist in helping prepare it in any way! (well, he could get the cleric a drink or a backrub or something).

Artoomis

First Post
For potions, from the Brew Potion feat:

The character can create a potion of any spell of 3rd level or lower that the character knows...

I think that pretty well closes the door on that one.

Last edited:

Remove ads