Recommendations for alchemy source books?

just__al

First Post
Two of my players have a wizard for their mother (and stepmother). It's been established that the mother is very interested in alchemy. However, the PHB has very little beyond thunderstones, tanglefoot bags, etc..

I'm sure there's a decent PDF I can buy out there off the web. Any recommendations?

just__al

First Post
Thanks Diaglo. I am more thinking of expanding the list of things that can be made with craft (alchemy) but I hadn't thought about an Alchemist class.
I'll dust off those CD's, I hardly if ever use them these days...

diaglo

Adventurer
you can use the 1edADnD DMG revised (1979) too

also try Power Classes X Alchemist from Mongoose publishing
and Mayfair Games has a book too but i can't remember the name

even d20 Penumbra/ Atlas Games has something out.

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
just__al said:
Two of my players have a wizard for their mother (and stepmother). It's been established that the mother is very interested in alchemy. However, the PHB has very little beyond thunderstones, tanglefoot bags, etc..

I'm sure there's a decent PDF I can buy out there off the web. Any recommendations?
Well, if you REALLY want a lot of alchemical stuff, you want Bastion Press' "Alchemy & Herbalists" - it's a full-color softcover, 96 page book for $24.95 - I would call it the "definitive catalogue" of alchemical stuff for d20 thus far.

Here's a free sample of the book from Bastion: http://www.bastionpress.com/Downloads/e-alchemy.pdf

Another freebie from Bastion: http://www.bastionpress.com/Downloads/AlchemyMJJ.pdf

I'll sift through my PDF files and get back to you with more suggestions. I know there are more out there, but I can't think of any as comprehensive as A&H.

--The Sigil

JoeGKushner

First Post
diaglo said:
Dragon Archive CD

goto The Strategic Review.

and look at the Alchemist class.

If you're going to talk about older products, I think that the Complete Alchemist, reprinted by WoTC even, is much better than that Alchemist class.

Bastion Press's book was another interesting take on the class, but was missing the hit die for some reason. (Curse you errata!)

Conaill

First Post
Don't have much time to comment, but before you rush out to get Bastion Press's A&H, let me just put in my own vote as someone who has been collecting alchemy resources for the past 2-3 years or so, and was VERY disappointed with A&H.

The stuff in there is just not balanced whatsover with anything else, including even what little alchemy is found in the PHB! You may notice for example that the e-alchemy extract listed above has a table which includes the standard PHB alchemical preparation... except that they've changed the DC's to a ridiculously low number, so that *anyone* can make them using "take 10". (I talked to the designer about this, and he admitted he didn't know about "take 10"... not very encouraging!)

I'll post some better sources for you a little later, when I have more time...

dlane001

First Post
You should check out the new Iron Kingdoms Player's Guide. It has an entire section on Alchemy (the upcoming World Guide will have the NPC Alchemist class). The section if full of new alchemicals that can be used, bought, made.

I got the impression that Privateer wanted to provide an alternative for the ubiquitous "potion", assuming arcane and divine casters have better things to do than just sit around manufacturing potions. Alchemy is Privateer's solution.

-Derek

Remove ads