WotC Spring 2009 Catalog

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
I don't know if it was, I meant the fact they specifically state it's NOT indicates that at one point it might have been.

I would be shocked if I one day learned that WotC didn't at one time explore the idea of collectible power cards. That's what I expect them to do, explore all possible avenues of revenue, and go ahead with those they deem financially viable, while still legal. :lol:

But I don't think the wording of the product description is any kind of evidence of that, if the text is in the product description, then it's just pre-emptive information, because we all know what would happen if they didn't put it in.

/M

Ginnel

Explorer
Hey, folks. I just made a few notes from a half-page of info about each product. I mentioned non-randomized because I thought it was worth mentioning since WotC and randomized are almost synonymous for some people on these boards. I thought it would clarify the point, not start up some rumors that WotC must have planned to randomize.

I thought it was important that the card sets confirm the number of classes in PHB2, and the lack of new classes in Martial Powers. Also, the number of powers per class presented in Martial Powers will be similar will be similar to the number in the PHB.

Yup and its very nice to get a sneak peek like this, Thankies again Thalmin, I really enjoyed the thread where you got the Core rulebooks early as well, keep up the good work.

So thats 2 primal classes gone, 2 more and 2 divine and 2 arcane would be my guess for the line up with the arcane being the sorceror(as a wild mage variant) and hopefully the bard.

I'm unreasonably excited by what the new classes will be, but am also slightly apprehensive in case power creep appears or to a lesser extent if the classes aren't interesting/too samey.

Ginnel

Explorer
Great, if you only ever plan on playing one class. The price of diversity is only 80 fraking bucks per PHB, and $40 per power book.

My frickin eyes are bleeding. :rant:
"if you are too lazy to make your own" I think you missed that line because getting an index card and writing on it is hardly rocket science or even printing out some of the wonderful ones produced by members of this site.

but for £5 a pop probably £5.99 I might splash out on a set, its only the price of 2 pints after all.

Darkwolf71

First Post
"if you are too lazy to make your own" I think you missed that line because getting an index card and writing on it is hardly rocket science or even printing out some of the wonderful ones produced by members of this site.

but for £5 a pop probably £5.99 I might splash out on a set, its only the price of 2 pints after all.

No, I didn't 'miss that line'. In fact we do make our own, color printed and laminated. They are quite nice, actually. That doesn't mean I can't be disgusted about the product.

Last edited:

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Frankly, it's such an obviously dumb idea that I'd by shocked if anyone in WotC even considered it.

Well, I guess it comes down to design philosophies. I try to document each and every idea when it comes to developing a product, even the stupid ones. And then we can look at the stupid ones, and make sure everyone understands why they are stupid (if they indeed are stupid), and make sure that all involved makes an informed decision about developing the idea further or dropping it.

And sometimes, really dumb ideas are the best ideas. Just dismissing ideas out of hand seems a waste to me, and I hope WotC isn't making a habit of it (cue jokes about 4e being proof that they aren't making a habit of dismissing dumb ideas :p)

/M

the Jester

Legend
Great, if you only ever plan on playing one class. The price of diversity is only 80 fraking bucks per PHB, and $40 per power book.

My frickin eyes are bleeding. :rant:

Yeah... sucks that you can't play the game without them, or make your own, or find free ones if you want to.

So we still don't know when the Eberron Player's Guide comes out, which actually has the full Artificer class write-up in it.

I just have a slight issue with Arcane Power than, since it comes out before the EbPG so it likely won't cover all arcane classes. Yes I know it's a problem with there going to be 6 arcane classes with Wizard and Warlock from PHB1, Swordmage from FRPG, Bard and Sorcerer from PHB2 and Artificer from EbPG.

Yes, I know the Wizard really does need a lot of help with new material, since it feels a little lacking in some areas with the PHB. And with the much wanted new warlock pacts, there's enough powers to make it as big as the PHB warlock entry.

Really it would look better if they tried Divine Power first, since by then we'd have the Cleric and Paladin from PHB1, and the highly speculated Inquisitor and Theurge from PHB2 and have the divine power source "complete" with that book.

With Martial Power it's good that there's no new classes, since I can't see how they'd try to come up with more martial classes. That power source is pretty complete, though I'd like to see some newer options like a ranged attack path for fighters (which could help with my homebrew ideas for a rifleman as a fighter).

I still don't like that I'll have to likely wait till 2010 till we have the monk or psionic classes (with the psion likely existing as a playtest class in late 2009). Though maybe by then they'll have a book on Aberrant creatures much like Lords of Madness, to go with psionics.

Then again for late 2009, I wonder if they'll bother with a Primal Power book, since it seems that with PHB 2, the 4 proposed primal classes will likely cover all of the Primal power source (barbarian, druid, shaman, W?/witch?/wu jen?) that there needs to be.

No, I didn't 'miss that line'. In fact we do make our own, color printed and laminated. Thet are quite nice, actually. That doesn't mean I can't be disgusted about the product.
So, how much did they cost you? What kind of artwork did you use?

It seems to me the price is pretty fair. There are approximately 80 powers per class, and if each class powers are included twice, that means 160 cards per deck.

Of course, it's possible that the cards are actually not that useful. For example, if there isn't a spot where I can write attack and damage values in the card, they become far less useful to me - a player of mine did cards like that, and while they are beautiful and well done, their usability is just lower then the print-outs I made myself.
Or that the art-work sucks (or doesn't exist)

Oh, and what's with racial and feat powers (Channel Divinity feats)? Will they be included?

Remove ads