• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Spring 2009 Catalog

No, I didn't 'miss that line'. In fact we do make our own, color printed and laminated. They are quite nice, actually. That doesn't mean I can't be disgusted about the product.

Why would you be disgusted by the product. This seems a perfect example of money versus time. You can spend 10 bucks and have everything you need and more for a PC or spend your time creating nice looking cards yourself. Is the time spent making the cards yourself worth the ten dollars you saved in not purchasing them? Your call :cool:

The Little Raven

First Post
Yeah, but there is a line between the game being centered around these things (minis, dungeon tiles, power cards) and a game that uses them as enhancing elements. IMHO, 4e falls into the category of being centered around these things.).

Except people have expressed the ability to play without any of these things, thus they are not required. If they were, play would be completely impossible without them.

4e was touted as playing faster... but if you don't have your powers on some type of card it plays way slower than previous editions.

BS. I don't use power cards, as I haven't found a set I like enough to invest in printing them nicely and having them laminated, and things still run faster than they did in 3e.

People claim it is just as mini-centric as 3e... but IMHO, it is definitely more mini-centric and requires some sort of grid to track spatial relations.

I'd say 3e is equally mini-centric, with things like having to measure line-of-effect from the corner of a square, as well as picking an origin point where 4 squares meet in order to create bursts.

There are numerous marks and conditions which continually change on a round per round basis and thus require various types of marker for each.

And this is different from 3e, with it's round-based durations, how? In fact, 4e has less conditions (16; 17 with Bloodied) to track than 3e did (38).

In fact my opinion is that the game was designed to push people towards using the DDI.

Well, if that's their intent, then they're doing a bad job by making the game easier than ever to manage at the table, and by not having the DDI available.

Imaro

Legend
Except people have expressed the ability to play without any of these things, thus they are not required. If they were, play would be completely impossible without them.

BS. I don't use power cards, as I haven't found a set I like enough to invest in printing them nicely and having them laminated, and things still run faster than they did in 3e.

I'd say 3e is equally mini-centric, with things like having to measure line-of-effect from the corner of a square, as well as picking an origin point where 4 squares meet in order to create bursts.

And this is different from 3e, with it's round-based durations, how? In fact, 4e has less conditions (16; 17 with Bloodied) to track than 3e did (38).

Well, if that's their intent, then they're doing a bad job by making the game easier than ever to manage at the table, and by not having the DDI available.

Okay Mourn, whatever. You have your opinion, I have mine and we rarely if ever find common ground or change each others minds. All you have is anecdotal evidence and all I have is anecdotal evidence... so really, what's the point of us even debating?

Jhaelen

First Post
I'm glad they're releasing power cards and I'm not at all sure, they've planned this all along.

While I am pretty sure the WotC cards won't be as good as some of the fan-made ones, I'll still prefer the WotC ones if they're sufficiently sturdy. My problem is not having access to a good printer. Printing them at a professional print-shop would _definitely_ be more expensive than 10$ per set.

I won't buy all of the sets though (at last initially), only the ones I actually require to play my character(s).

Imaro

Legend
Another thing that worries me about WotC selling "official" power cards is what their stance will be regarding the distribution of the filled out power cards, especially since we still haven't heard a peep about their fansite policy. If they were to pull something like this, it would again be another reason I would not purchase these cards... and probably would be through purchasing WotC stuff period.

Mercule

Adventurer
Frankly, it's such an obviously dumb idea that I'd by shocked if anyone in WotC even considered it.
It's also just plain obvious. If it wasn't brought up, it'd be the elephant in the corner, so better to get it out and be officially done with it.

Plus, if you have ever attended brainstorming and idea generation training/workshops, there's a basic rule. One of the first things they tell you and continue to drill into your head is that any idea can generate another idea. Everything should be put on the whiteboard (or whatever) and reviewed later. That one thing is probably what cripples more so-called "brainstorming sessions" than anything else.

If the idea was never put on the table, it would only be because the people at WotC were inept. Not that its inclusion shows masterful planning. I just think you're holding your shock and condemnation by the wrong end.

No, I didn't 'miss that line'. In fact we do make our own, color printed and laminated. They are quite nice, actually. That doesn't mean I can't be disgusted about the product.
Fair enough. I have neither the artistic talent nor the time to make my own -- at least not having them look like anything more than scrawls on an index card. Since I've come to a point where I appreciate presentation value in my gaming tools, I'd pay $10 for a deck.

I'll caveat that by saying that I wouldn't do it for a one-shot or buy all the cards at once. But, definitely for a long-running character/campaign. My current 3.5 game has been running for 4+ years and I don't think $10-20 for spell cards would have been considered unreasonable for either the wizard or the druid.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Exactly how many cards do you want for ten bucks? A typical PHB class has, what, 80? 90 powers? That's half again as many cards as in a typical CCG deck. For a price that's maybe 25% higher than a typical CCG starter deck.

If you're really going to play every class in the PHB, good on ya! But it seems kind of unreasonable to think that fully kitting out for such a broad undertaking wouldn't carry a price tag. $10 a deck is hardly a rip-off, assuming a halfway decent product, so $80 for 8 decks (600 to 700 cards!) doesn't really seem to merit your "disgust."

Ok, I'll take the requisite break before replying.

I don't think that that is a fair reply. I didn't say how many that I expected. I was not comparing the price of a deck to the price of CCG cards. I was also not conveying disgust. (I do think that this term is inappropriately strong in regards to my question.) However, the fact of my question, that I chose to ask about this total price, shows that I find the price significant, and in context I think that it is reasonable to infer that I do find the price to be high.

I am divided on whether having each class be encapsulated as a single deck is an overall plus or a minus. The underfactoring of the power design allows each class to be self contained (that's good -- nice and simple and easy to use), but it seems to bloat the number of powers and make understanding them hard (that's bad). Uncharitably, I wondered if having distinct power decks was a design point when the power lists were created. I also did wonder how the game came to be designed such that the game utilities add up to $80, on top of the $25 - $40 ish price for the players handbook. (I wonder, too, if there are alternatives: How many powers can fit on a single card? Could the decks be split across tiers -- 1-10, 11-20, 21-30?)

Ultimately, is $10 a deck too high? I haven't seen the ultimate product, so I can't really make a complete judgement on that.

To provide background on myself, to explain my outlook on the game: I am a longtime D&D player. I purchased most of the 3.5E books (both from WoTC and from 3rd parties, and I do mean most of them.) I purchased the 4.0E core books and initial modules (I'm a fiend for modules). But, I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the new game, and don't think that I will continue purchasing the books or online products.

Remathilis

Legend
Another thing that worries me about WotC selling "official" power cards is what their stance will be regarding the distribution of the filled out power cards, especially since we still haven't heard a peep about their fansite policy. If they were to pull something like this, it would again be another reason I would not purchase these cards... and probably would be through purchasing WotC stuff period.

Probably the same as character sheets.

The GSL doesn't allow you to republish the actual info on a given class/power, just its name and relative calculations (in the form of npc stat blocks, for example). Since reprinting info on powers is taboo, no company can create power cards for profit.

HOWEVER

Much like how WotC sells a character sheet pack (abit a poor one) but allows modders to make their own PDF sheets for download (but not for profit) I'm sure PDFs of power cards made for download and profit will not be taken as an affront to WotC's power cards. Assuming their cards are decent (M:TG level) cardstock and nicely done, more than a few people will drop the cash on a deck or two. WotC has no real fear from people making these puppies on their PCs and printing them on cardstock with their inkjets. In fact, I'd wager a complete set of card would run about $10 per class if you printed your own on an inkjet anyway.

So, making a PDF of all wizard powers? Probably not going to bother WotC. Making your own decks and selling them? Trouble. Same as character sheets.

Remove ads