• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Spring 2009 Catalog

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
The fact that there was lots and lots of different cards created by fans for 3e obviously played a part in WotC deeming this to be a good idea.

We've made our own Feat, Spell and whatnot cards for 3.5 forever and ever. We're making cards for 4e as well, and for WotC to come out with this is one of the most obvious ideas I've ever seen.

Unless I'm mistaken, there was players hoping for this even before 4th edition was released, so I think WotC is filling a very real and tangible need for some gamers out there.

EDIT: also, creating something that the players will buy, in addition to the PH, is probably a very good thing when it comes to the economy of the new edition. More things players can buy (instead of just the DM), equals more money for WotC, which equals a more healthy D&D, for good and for worse.

/M

Thanks for clearing that up.

(And also "bother", I was hoping for a Planescape novel. I don't suppose you'd like to pitch a Planescape novel to WotC, Mouse? :angel:)

Heh. Given the recent refocus in their fiction department, I'm not sure it'd do much good.

(Yes, Planescape is technically a D&D property, but--especially with the new 4E cosmology--I doubt it's a core enough property to qualify.)

Mercule

Adventurer
I cannot begin to state how fully I disagree with the people claiming that D&D plays like a CCG.

In my own group, only half of us are using home-made power cards. Some of us feel they speed things up, some of us don't. Me, I don't think it makes a huge difference, as long as you have your powers summarized on something--a sheet of paper works just fine. Frankly, I find it no more complex than keeping track of which spells I'd cast as a wizard or druid in 3E.
Hey, don't take my statements the wrong way.

I haven't played enough to actually have an opinion. I'm just saying that I can at least see where that argument comes from, since you've got a card-oriented mechanic where you discard most powers after use. It's what I got on my read-through, but I'm mostly trusting people like you who have played it, when you say it ain't. I don't understand the WoW arguments.

Hey, don't take my statements the wrong way.

Oh, I'm not. My comment wasn't directed specifically at you. :)

I'm just stunned it's even an issue for some people, when it really is no different than people using cards or checklists for spells in prior editions. (And in fact, TSR sold spell cards for 2E.)

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Please keep the discussion polite and on-topic. In fact, I'd suggest forking a new thread to discuss the card decks, and keep this thread for general discussion of the catalog.

Thanks, again, thalmin!

Darkwolf71

First Post
Ok, let me clarify my statment. I for one have never played Magic, I do have lots of friends who do and I have watched many games/tournaments.

At the same time I am not 'playing' 4e, I am DMing it. So, again I am watching others play it.

Once we had cards it quickly became the norm to 'tap' or turn sideways a power card when the associated power had been used. After a Short Rest eligable powers were returned to play position. So, yes from an observational point of view, it plays very much like Magic with Minis. Hence my earlier comment about Magic: The Roleplaying Game.

So, it may or may not 'feel' like playing Magic, I honestly have no idea but it certainly 'looks' like playing Magic.

Edit:
Sorry, Erindanis. I was finishing my reply when you posted. If someone else wants to fork it, I'll repost there. As it is, I've had my say.

I cannot begin to state how fully I disagree with the people claiming that D&D plays like a CCG.

In my own group, only half of us are using home-made power cards. Some of us feel they speed things up, some of us don't. Me, I don't think it makes a huge difference, as long as you have your powers summarized on something--a sheet of paper works just fine. Frankly, I find it no more complex than keeping track of which spells I'd cast as a wizard or druid in 3E.
THIS. My players (and my DM NPC) all have cards but one of the players just normally refers to his char sheet. The cards don't come out. It is just like the DM screen or any other extra. You don't in anyway need it but, for some, it is nice to have. And if there is a market then WotC should exploit it! If you don't like it don't buy it.
I like the cards, but think there maybe too many when we get to higher levels to easily fit around the table so they might eventually fall by the wayside. But I won't be buying them when the fan made ones are excellent in themselves, they are fine printed on cheap cardstock in B&W:)
Anders00 set are awesome! http://www.enworld.org/forum/showpost.php?p=4274554&postcount=568

Edit: Sorry, Thalmin, I was searching for Ander00 MSE post:)

Last edited:

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
As someone who has been a bit of a critic of WotC recently, could I just step in and ask our community to give them a bit of a break here? When the new power structure (at-wills, encounters, dailys) came out, the idea of cards was a very popular one, and many people asked WotC to make the product. You may argue that 4E was designed with this in mind, but the idea of these cards is something that many EnWorlders have been talking about for months.

Yes, there are free versions of these cards, and if you want to put in the time, energy and money to print them out, more power to you! Our current group does not use cards, but there are several members who would benefit greatly from having them. And others who have said "great idea, where can I get 'em?"

But to criticize WotC for giving people so much of what they were asking for? It smacks of a "darned if you do, darned if you don't" mentality.

It's just my $.02, as someone who might likely buy one or two packs of these things period, and certainly won't get the whole set, but nonetheless thinks it's a great idea.

--Steve

So, it may or may not 'feel' like playing Magic, I honestly have no idea but it certainly 'looks' like playing Magic.
This is quite a leap. Does Magic often have long stretches of people doing nothing but talking? Does it involve a lot of die-rolling? Does it often involve moving minis around a battlemat?

This is like that Diablo 2 thread. You see one small, specific aspect of the game that reminds you of some other game, and use that to assert that 4E is no longer D&D but that other game.

Edit: Yes, this should probably be forked. Or stopped entirely.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads