RPG Print News – Chaosium, Mongoose, Goodman Games, and More

RuneQuest, Traveller, Shield Maidens, D&D 5E, DCC, and Savage Worlds Rifts all have print products out this week.

RuneQuest gets a supplement on Glorantha sans rules text. Campaign support and adventures land for Traveller and Shield Maidens. Dungeons & Dragons 5E and DCC RPG get adventures and rule supplements. Finally, Savage Worlds Rifts (Adventure Edition) gets all kinds of support with a boxed campaign, a setting supplement, pawns, maps, and cards much of which includes details on Rifts South America.

Note: RPG Print News covers recent RPG releases and some classics, reprints, and sales available from retailers. It does not cover products that are available directly to customers only through Kickstarter or as print on demand.

183 the glorantha.JPG

The Glorantha Sourcebook by Chaosium
  • SYSTEM: RuneQuest
  • PRODUCT TYPE: hardcover supplement
  • RETAIL PRICE: $44.99
  • DESCRIPTION: A setting guide for Glorantha, a mythical world of Bronze Age fantasy. The book contains no rules text. Covers the story of the gods of Glorantha, the Elder Races, the background of the dreaded and misunderstood Lunar Empire, and deep detail on the workings of Gloranthan magic. Contains revised, updated, and expanded content drawn from a variety of long out-of-print and rare sources.
183 the fifth.JPG
183 tales of.JPG

The Fifth Frontier War | Tales of Yggdrasil by Mongoose Publishing
  • SYSTEM: Traveller/Shield Maidens
  • PRODUCT TYPE: hardcover supplements
  • RETAIL PRICE: $49.99 each
  • DESCRIPTION: The Fifth Frontier War is the first sourcebook in a campaign that can span years of play and will powerfully alter the future of the Charted Space universe. The Third Imperium has fought four Frontier Wars against the Zhodani Consulate, but never has the Imperium been seriously threatened until now. Zhodani battle fleets emerge from jumpspace at Regina, Efate, and Jewell. Lanth is under ground attack. Extolay is burning. The Imperial response is fragmented and ineffective and reinforcements are months away. The PC Travellers may jump into a trench at the Fall of Lanth or hold back the Zhodani tide at the First Battle of Regina or lead the breakthrough of the 40th Fleet as it lunges at Macene. Tales of Yggdrasil provides five adventures. Everything and Nothing: A string of grisly murders has shaken an entire district in Niflheimr. The Shield Maidens must find out who is responsible and stop them before they kill again. Ship of Stars: The Shield Maidens will sail an ancient longboat to rescue a defector while avoiding the dragons of the Rockaries. Valuables from Muspelheim are offered in return for his rescue. The Price of Peace: The Shield Maidens help organize the Svartalfheim elves’ defense against a constant onslaught of Pure military. The Sun: The Shield Maidens have to secure a supply of Ymir’s Blood, the lifeforce of worlds which powers Midgard’s artificial sun while getting around the ban placed by the Fenrir Empire. Banished: Three exiled Jötunn have now arrived in Midgard and the Shield Maidens must race to get to them first. Should the Fenrir Empire recruit them, the Jötunn will wreak untold harm.
183 seven days.JPG
183 by mitra.JPG
183 monsters & magic.JPG
183 dcc fan kit 1.JPG

Seven Days of the Serpent God (D&D 5E) | By Mitra's Bones, Meet Thy Doom! (DCC RPG) | Monsters & Magic of Dark Tower (D&D 5E) | Monsters & Magic of Dark Tower (DCC RPG) | DCC First-Time Fan Kit by Goodman Games
183 terror on.JPG
183 land of a thousand.JPG
183 rifts pawn set 2.JPG
183 rifts map.JPG
183 rifts archetypes.JPG

Terror on the Dark Frontier | Land of a Thousand Islands | Rifts Pawn Set 2 | Rifts Map Pack 3 | Rifts Archetype Dossiers Set 2
  • SYSTEM: Savage Worlds Rifts (Adventure Edition) by Pinnacle
  • PRODUCT TYPE: boxed campaign set/hardcover supplement/pawns/maps/cards
  • RETAIL PRICE: $49.99/$39.99/$39.99/$14.99/$19.99
  • DESCRIPTION: Terror on the Dark Frontier is set in the western fringes of the Domain of Man, the nine-part Plot Point Campaign sees the PCs uncovering a dark threat to everyone in the area. Includes a regional map, information on factions, settlements, and highlights of the area’s significant tensions with plenty of Savage Tales and Encounter Tables. The boxed set includes: a Campaign Book (90-page softcover), Creature Manual (26-page softcover), Player’s Handbook (18-page softcover), Region Guide (86-page softcover), 77 pawns, four battle maps, and 10 gear cards. Set in South America, Land of a Thousand Islands covers the war-stricken, legendary continent with new game content. PCs can wield powerful new mystical arts like Nazca Line Magic and Gizmoteering, use new Edges, try out new gear, use new options like the Demigod, and Anti-Monster, access MARS packages like Blood Rider and Fallam Battlemaster, and play new races such as the Arkhons feline-like aliens from a distant star or the Fallam the long-armed and fin-headed warrior race assimilated by the Arkhons. The Rifts Pawn Set 2 includes more than 100 die-cut cardboard pawns. Card bases are included. Consisting of 30" x 24" double-sided laminated maps, Rifts Map Pack 3 is marked with a light one-inch grid, is wet- and dry-marker erasable, and depicts an Amazonian village on one side, and the remains of a structure in the jungle on the other. Rifts Archetype Dossiers Set 2 includes 18 pre-generated characters using a dossier portable card format in a storage box.
Charlie Dunwoody participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program and the Noble Knight Games’ Affiliate Program. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG and Noble Knight Games respectively. If you like the articles at EN World please consider supporting the EN World Patreon.

Charles Dunwoody

Charles Dunwoody

Wolfpack48

Adventurer
Hmmm, wondering what the differences are between 1st and 2nd edition Gloranthan Sourcebook (beyond the cover art). Sounds like it's been expanded. I'll probably pick it up anyway.

Wolfpack48

Adventurer
i believe i read some small spelling and grammatical fixes, but otherwise its mostly a reprint. i would happy to be wrong. :)
From the Chaosium website -- I went ahead and picked it up, and it looks much cleaned up from the first edition on initial glance:
This edition contains revised, updated, and expanded content drawn from a variety of long out-of-print and rare sources. Alongside an updated internal design to bring RuneQuest:The Glorantha Sourcebook in line with modern RuneQuest titles, it also has a brand new cover by stellar artist LoÏc Muzy. This edition also includes updated genealogy tables, some new art, and new maps.

agrayday

Explorer
i was under the impression the 1st edition had collected some of the out of print content as well, so it will be interesting to see what different or has been added. David Scott from chaosium stated over on reddit when asked the differences between 1 & 2 editions:
The text is identical (except for a few typo fixes), the trade dress is updated to RuneQuest (was part of the 13th Age Kickstarter. Most black and white art updated to mostly pre-existing colour. A few charts redrawn.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
A systemless Glorantha sourcebook is pretty compelling, since I could (heresy!) see wanting to use the setting with a different system.

And has there been a really in-depth of the Dark Tower OAR books yet? It's a lot of content, and very tempting, but it's also a big price tag, so I'd like to know which pieces aren't worth worrying about for me.

Austin Conrad

Scribbler
i believe i read some small spelling and grammatical fixes, but otherwise its mostly a reprint. i would happy to be wrong. :)
That's my understanding as well. New visuals, but that the "expanded" and "long out-of-print" stuff is mostly the same marketing text from the first edition. I feel Chaosium did a decent job clarifying that on their own BRP Central forum.

I just wish the preview pages on their site + DTRPG were more extensive 😅. Right now they mostly show the table of contents, and I can't actually see much of the new art to decide whether or not I'm interested in this edition, since I've already got the first.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads