Proposal: Retraining for New Material

Atanatotatos

First Post
Three months have to pass from the publication of a source before it can be approved. Although I guess starting to discuss it wouldn't hurt, right?

Ozymandias79

First Post
I see this as different types of overhaul we are talking about, one is a stat overhaul(<- this is the one I am interrested in), second one is stat and class and third is what I understand is what Fireinthedust wants to do, a stat, class and race overhaul and suppose there also exist the class and race overhaul but I think this is less likely

Ozy79

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
In my mind, there should be two types of overhauls. The first is sort of a "oops, can I take that back?" sort of thing, where you're correcting a "mistake". The idea is that your character concept stays the same, but the mechanics change, either because you screwed up stat allocation, or the class you really wanted to play wasn't available, so you chose the next best fit. So this would let you reset pretty much everything but race and gender. In-character, it's not that your guy used to be a wizard and now is a sorcerer; it's that he's always been a sorcerer.

The second type would be a "Now I'm a..." change, which is more of what KenHood is proposing with Dr. Scrupples. With this you could change pretty much anything you want, provided you can successfully propose it and get someone to DM the mini-adventure or whatever it requires. This is the sort of thing that would require some in-character explanation.

I think this proposal should focus on the former, and how much permission is required to do what.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
In my mind, there should be two types of overhauls. The first is sort of a "oops, can I take that back?" sort of thing, where you're correcting a "mistake". The idea is that your character concept stays the same, but the mechanics change, either because you screwed up stat allocation, or the class you really wanted to play wasn't available, so you chose the next best fit. So this would let you reset pretty much everything but race and gender. In-character, it's not that your guy used to be a wizard and now is a sorcerer; it's that he's always been a sorcerer.

The second type would be a "Now I'm a..." change, which is more of what KenHood is proposing with Dr. Scrupples. With this you could change pretty much anything you want, provided you can successfully propose it and get someone to DM the mini-adventure or whatever it requires. This is the sort of thing that would require some in-character explanation.

I think this proposal should focus on the former, and how much permission is required to do what.
Well said. I agree.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
TwoHeads re-opened the discussion, but I don't think anyone's actually proposed something yet. This is the same thread that was used for the original overhaul proposal, so perhaps we should fork to a new thread for the official proposal to change things?

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Another item to do with the overhaul: Do we want to keep the "once before you hit level 2 you can overhaul", or do we want to extend it to just "once in your character's career you can overhaul"?

I don't see a problem with getting rid of the 'before level 2' limit, since in some cases that will prevent older characters from doing the overhaul they want if something new comes out. For example, if there was a bunch of powers in Divine Power that I decided fit Raiyek better than his current ones, I'm out of luck unless I want to "retire and rewrite", since Raiyek is already level 2. (Just an example, I don't really think I'll do this ... but you never know.)

Remove ads