Proposal: Retraining for New Material

JoeNotCharles

First Post
I'm against it, for two reasons:

First: the higher the character level, the more work for the character judges (without taking overhauls into account, you can assume that the sheet at level X-1 was correct and certified, and just look at the changes that were made, which are pretty minor.

Second: the point of the overhaul wasn't to take advantage of new releases (that's what the "retrain more than one feature" rules are for), it was to correct things that don't really work out in game like you'd planned when you made the character. By level 2, you should have figured these things out.

In Quagmire's case, I think he reached level 2 before we had overhauls, right? So I'd just say any character who reached level 2 before the rule change can get an overhaul before their next level-up, as a grandfather clause.

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Second: the point of the overhaul wasn't to take advantage of new releases (that's what the "retrain more than one feature" rules are for), it was to correct things that don't really work out in game like you'd planned when you made the character. By level 2, you should have figured these things out.

Without the ability to change ability scores, several classes can't realistically take advantage of all the new releases.

I'm not sure I agree with the "you'll know everything you need to know by level 2" part either, but I don't have any experience or examples to back it up.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Well, what if your character doesn't work out as you thought it would, but what will make them work like you wanted them to isn't approved yet? Do you just have to hope it gets approved before you hit level 2?

I agree that it would be more work for character reviewers, but I'm not sure level 2 is an ideal cut-off point, if there needs to be one. In L4W, you could have as few as 3 or 4 fights before you level up, and that might not be enough time to assess whether your character just isn't working, or whether you're just unlucky (or not playing the character to its fullest) with regards to rolling/enemy composition/teamwork & tactics/whatever.

garyh

First Post
I also think there should be no level cap. But I'm also biased... if bugbear's get as hosed by WotC as minotaurs did, I'd likely want to mechanically rebuild Hrav as a half-orc. I won't know that till Dragon gets around to giving us fully rendered goblinoids, though.

Remove ads