Don't laugh..... it's here.

I have another idea

Finrod passes Korg on his way to the festival hall, and the giant waves him down.

"Elfy out late, elfy want some mead?" Korg asks

*sigh* "Sure Korg, I'll take a drink, or two, or three." Finrod replies

"Ha! Now you talk like giant." Korg comments while pouring the elf a drink

"I just shattered the greatest weaponsmith accomplishment of my life." Finrod says hanging his head low

"Korg just shattered keg of mead over there, Korg not sad about it." The giant replies

"Everything was perfect, the gleam, the balance, the cut. I don't know where I went wrong." Finrod explains

"Uh, Korg like flowers." The giant says with a smile

"What? Are you even paying attention to anything I'm saying?" Finrod asks

"Korg thinking about paying elfy to make him big stick like Gronar's." Korg replies

Finrod's heart lightens at the prospect that Korg still has faith in him to make a weapon. "You'd like me to make you a weapon Korg?"

Korg gets a look of confusion on his face. "You know how to make long stick?" Korg inquires

"Why of course, I'll even give you a discount." Finrod elatedly explains

"Ok, stick be ready tomorrow?" Korg asks

"No, it won't be ready for about two weeks. It takes a lot more material to make one of your spears than it does to make a long sword." Finrod answers

"Uh, Korg think he go talk to elfy at store then. You too slow." Korg says finishing his mug

"Wait, I'd still like to try. Maybe I can make you a better one?" Finrod says

"Korg not think so, Korg need long stick that nurture enemies. Not need it in two weeks, need it tomorrow." Korg replies

"I think you mean to smite your enemies?" Finrod corrects

"No, Korg done with smiting. Now Korg ready to crush enemies with powerful nurturing weapon!" Korg yells, waking up some sleeping elves nearby

Finrod gets up and leaves Korg to his delusions. He continues his way to the festival hall, where he awakes in the morning.

Korg gets up bright and early, just before dawn has had a chance to chase away the shadows off of the tree's leaves. Korg makes his way down to the weapon store. Unable to read the sign on the door, Korg bangs away at the door and shouts to let him in. His shouts carry through the town and are heard by Paquito who quickly leaves his room and hurries to Korg's location.

"What's wrong?" Paquito asks breathlessly

"Store not let Korg in." The giant replies

"That's because it's closed." Paquito tells Korg after reading the sign on the door

"But sun coming up, store open." Korg replies

"Yes, but it's not up yet. It's not dawn yet. Almost." Paquito answers

The two large men see a young elf bounding his way up the beaten path towards them.

"See here comes the owner now." Paquito points out to Korg

"Knock off that racket, I'm coming." The elf says as he unlocks the door

"Yay!" Korg says as he claps and hops in front of the store. "Now Korg get long stick."

Paquito decides to follow Korg into the store, he catches the store name on his way in, and thinks it's an odd name for an elf "Ronco's Emporium". Paquito enters as Korg tries to explain what he wants to the elf.

"No, like Gronar. Long stick need to have pointy end like elf ear. Korg want to nurture enemy that's way over there." Korg explains pointing at the far corner of the store.

"Well, I think I have just the thing." The elf answers, and retreats back behind a curtain in the back of the store. A few moments later he emerges, dragging what appears to be a heavy sword in a scabbard.

"No, Korg need long stick. Not need sword." Korg replies

Confused the elf drops the sword, and retreats once again behind the curtain. Paquito takes the opportunity to peruse the store's wares, he finds a nice set of sparkers and takes a couple to the counter. The elf returns with a 10' pole in his hands.

"Yes, like that only longer and with pointy end." Korg excitedly explains

"So, let me see if I have this right. You'd like a bigger, better, longer spear, that you can use to jab at people at least 15' away. Is this accurate?" The elf asks

"Uh, Korg need long stick." Korg replies

"Yes, I think that's what he's trying to say." Paquito interjects

"Ok, well. I don't have one in stock. But I could get one in four days." The elf replies

"How much jingly?" Korg says shaking is pouch of gold

"Well for you, I have a really great deal. How does four easy payments of three-hundred gold and eight silver sound?" The elf replies

"Korg think four jinglies is good price. Korg pay." Korg answers, as he grabs a small handful of coins from his pouch.

"No, he means twelve hundred will be the final price." Paquito says

"Elfy say four easy pays, so Korg pay four easy." Korg answers as he puts about twenty gold on the counter

"Heh, that's not going to cut it there big fella', I'm going to need three hundred upfront, another three hundred in two days, and then three hundred the next day, then finally the last payment when the spear comes in." The elf relays to Korg

"No, that too much. Korg go other store, after Korg make Gronar throw this on into the ocean." Korg retorts and turns to leave.

"Wait! How about this? If you promise to tell just one other person about my store, I'll knock off one payment. So, just three easy payments of three hundred and five gold. How's that?" The elf replies

"How much that Pokey?" Korg asks Paquito

"Nine hundred and fifteen gold." The minotaur replies

"Korg not like elf attitude, still go get Gronar." Korg says reaching for the door

"Ok! I see you're an experienced negotiator. How's this for my best offer yet? Two easy payments of three hundred and five gold, plus I'll throw in this set of sparkers for your friend here for free. As long as you promise to tell just one friend about my store?" The elf replies

"How much that Pokey?" Korg asks

"Six hundred and ten gold." Paquito answers

"No thanks, Korg go elsewhere. Korg will tell one friend, Gronar, though about this place. Maybe Gronar come see you?" Korg replies as he heads out the door.

"Is he going to get the other giant?" The elf asks Paquito with worry and fear in his voice

"Probably, but hey, at least you got a referral right? Say, how much are these?" Paquito asks holding up the sparkers

"Keep 'em. I think I'll go into the mail order business. This store front business isn't for me." The elf replies

"Thanks, I'll be sure to tell some of my minotaur friends about your place too." Paquito says as he leaves with the sparkers.

"Hey Gronar, Korg have something to tell you." Korg shouts as he sees Gronar come into view

"What that Korg?" Gronar asks

"Korg wants to buy puppy, Korg remember how other elfy had big dog. Korg want big dog too." Korg says

"Ok, but Gronar not going to clean up after puppy make mess." Gronar replies

"That ok, Korg get elfy to do it." Korg says with a smile.

"Gronar think that is good plan." Gronar says as they both sit down and enjoy another keg of elven mead.

No one ever knew why Ronco closed his store after having it open only for a week. Word is he moved far away and started advertising through crystal balls to arcane types across the globe. But, that's only speculation.

Benat and Finrod meet the giants and soon they are joined by Paquito. Paquito tells the group about his magic rock. The group decides to go after the ogre shaman next, and wipe him off the face of the earth. Benat tells the group that the elves have the ogre surrounded, and that all of his forces except for two others have been defeated. However, the elves are having a difficult time rooting out the ogre as he's holed himself up in a swamp and shape shifting ability has thus far allowed him to out maneuver the elven forces. Benat tells them all they have to overcome is a treant, a giant crocodile, and the ogre.

"How do you plan on performing that?" Finrod asks

"I have a idea." Benat answers

The idea comes to un-fruition

As party waits out Nameroc's service to the temple, Benat reminds the primarch that there is still a traitor about and only finding it will bring peace to the town. Benat tells the primarch about the evil shrine in the minotaur maze, and the primarch agrees that it should be dealt with. He informs Benat that he will send a contingent to the maze to research the best way to remove the altar without angering a powerful devil in the process. He also informs Benat that an opening has presented itself in the temple's Order of the Bow, and that if she is still insistent upon joining as an initiate, then she will need to make a decision very soon.

After waiting out in town for three days, the party heads off to the northeast. After eight miles, the ground becomes noticeably wetter and the foliage begins to become sparser. The air fills with a humid mist, the sun is still readily visible through the moisture, but making out details over a half mile away is difficult. The soft pliable ground easily shows Benat that the party is on the right track, as dozens of elven boot prints cover the terrain ahead of the party.

Korg stops and takes off his boots, for the chance to squish the soft mud through his toes.

"Hee hee, Korg likes squishy toes." The giant says sloshing through the mud

"Ooh, Gronar make mud angel." The hill giant plops backwards in the mud and begins waving his arms and legs through the soaked ground.

"What's the matter Paquito?" Nameroc asks

"I do not have toes with which to feel the mud. No?" Paquito replies

"Trust me it's not the great of a feeling. Besides with all that hair on you, you should worry about fleas, ticks, or leeches." Nameroc tells the minotaur

"Leeches? Gross, you should have informed me of this possibility prior to us leaving Mirwood. No? An archmage of my reputation should not have to be trifled with removing such disgusting creatures from his person. No?" What should I do if locked in a battle with such fearsome foes?" Paquito asks

"Try magic missile, but for the really dug in deep ones, I'd go for spiritual weapon." Benat chimes in

"Now you are just mocking me. No?" Paquito answers

"Surely you jest, for I am not one to mock the only mockery of a jester that has ever bother to refrain from committing suicide." Benat snaps back, as Paquito snorts and stomps off into the glades

"What elfy say?" Korg asks Gronar

"Elfy say she go kill herself." Gronar replied

"Korg want to see that!" The hill giant replies, as he removes himself from the sticky mud and hurries next to Benat

"What?" Benat asks as the leering visage of Korg looks down upon her

"Korg waiting for elfy to kill self." Korg replies

After an expletive filled reply, Benat takes to the air with her winged boots, and flies out ahead of the party. After another hour of flying, she spies a line of elven warriors in marsh below, and flies down to have a little chat with them.

The rest of the party finds the terrain getting increasingly difficult to maneuver through, as the water level rises so do the number of insects. The constant droning quickly replaces the smell of rotting vegetation as the most annoying thing thus far on the journey. Another two hours however, and the party has also reached the elven line of warriors.

Benat fills the part in on what the warriors know, they know the ogre and treant are trapped about 3 miles in. They suspect the crocodile in in there as well. The treant is on a mud hill and hasn't moved in two days, the marsh is mostly water where the treant is at, and all attempts by the elves to get close have met with failure.

"Failure, or death?" Paquito asks

"Both." Is Benat's reply

"So, what's your big idea?" Finrod asks

"Paquito, give me your horrid rock." Benat asks

"Please?" Paquito asks, awaiting the same response from Benat, who only stares at him coldly. "Alright, fine. Here." Paquito hands over the rock

Benat takes to the air once again, and flies out towards the last known location of the treant. Benat notices the already sparse vegetation almost becomes nonexistent. Small bushes that had covered a lot of the ground when they entered the marsh, have become stunted piles of dead twigs. Even the trees which were lush and green at the beginning of the marsh, have turned their leaves a dark green almost black color, and those are just the ones which have leaves. Most of the trees are barren, looking more like the last standing remnants of a huge fire. Black and twisted bark, and branches that seemed to have struggled to grow as much as they did.

The size of the mud mounds have decreased to only a few feet across every ten feet or so. Most of the terrain below her is water now, Benat realizes it would be very easy to hide a giant crocodile in these waters. She makes a note not to land on any of the smaller mud islands.

Had this been any normal marsh, Benat would've completely missed it, but having seen nothing green for most of the day, the huge tree with emerald green leaves perched on a hill of mud up ahead, signaled to Benat that she had found her quarry. Benat swoops in low, flying only a couple feet off of the water. She spots a small hill about eighty feet from the treant and alights on it's gooey surface.

"Leave my trees alone!" a voice booms through the air, even the water ripples under the sound

"Are you talking to me?" Benat yells back

"Leave my trees alone!" the same response hammers it's way through the marsh

"Is someone hurting your trees? I don't understand. Do you want me to leave?" Benat asks the treant

No response comes from the treant, instead the tree appears to shiver, and then rise up out of the mud. A full thirty feet of wood pulls itself up from the mud, and Benat can make out the two elongated branches the plant uses as it's arms. The arms circle around to point at Benat, and she hears a soft sound like a short whispered blast of air. Then two long splinters pierce through her elven chain shirt, and sink into her abdomen. Benat yanks the splinters out, then takes to flight once again, climbing as fast as she can. Another splinter sinks into the flesh of her left calf, three hundred feet above the treant, Benat takes out Paquito's horrid rock and drops it.

The rock hits, and instantly the view is greatly improved as the mist surrounding the impact site is evaporated. The water level sinks to a trickle, the tops of the mud hills dry up and give a parched earth look. Then the giant green tree turns a light brown in color, as all of it's leaves are deprived of water. A few seconds later, the giant tree comes crashing down into the muck.

Benat flies down to the treant and looks it over making sure it's dead, she then waits for her companions to wade through the mud and water. The marsh quickly refills the lowered water level in the area of the blast, and the mist slowly seeps back in from the surrounding swamp. Benat spots an very unusual feature on the treant, a vein of an orangish-white metal runs up the back of the treant, through the bark from it's leg up to the middle of it's back. Benat shows this to the party once they arrive.

"How do we get this back to Mirwood?" Nameroc asks

Gronar takes out his sword, and chops off every branch, arm, and leg of the treant. "There, tree easy to drag now." Gronar answers

"Shh, did you hear that?" Finrod asks

"No, you're just hearing things. Calm down." Benat replies

"No, I thought I heard something splash into the water." Finrod answers

"Don't you think we'd all have heard it?" Benat tells the older elf

"Hey, what's that?" Nameroc asks as the party looks towards a nearby mud hill and sees the tell tale signs of something big in the water, dragging a wake behind it.

Jon Potter

First Post
Hairy Minotaur said:
Benat takes out Paquito's horrid rock and drops it.

The rock hits, and instantly the view is greatly improved as the mist surrounding the impact site is evaporated. The water level sinks to a trickle, the tops of the mud hills dry up and give a parched earth look. Then the giant green tree turns a light brown in color, as all of it's leaves are deprived of water. A few seconds later, the giant tree comes crashing down into the muck.

Pretty slick use of a magic item on Benat's part. Turned what could have been a very nasty fight into a pushover.

Jon Potter said:
Pretty slick use of a magic item on Benat's part. Turned what could have been a very nasty fight into a pushover.

Yes, her player tends to make good use of Benat's magic items. The next update however, will illustrate Benat singlemindedness. ;)

Do you have an idea for this?

Nameroc and Finrod exit the warm water and clamber up the side of a small mud hill. Paquito also removes himself from the water and unto the mud hill the treant stood upon prior to it's death. Benat alofts between Paquito's position and a rather large mud hill behind and to the left of her. The two hill giants remain in the water between Paquito and the two male elves.

"Where did it go? I don't see it!" Nameroc shouts

"Shut up. The ogre is probably nearby as well." Benat spoke in a hissing whisper

Silence fell over the area as the elves kept their eyes gazing on the water, the giants shift expectantly in the water waiting for the enemy to reveal themselves. Nameroc turns to Finrod and motions that he detects nothing in the water, and that's when the crocodile chooses to act.

Belching forth in a startling shower of water, debris, mud, and leeches, from the marsh the large reptile clamps it's jaws around the waist of Nameroc and quickly drags him back into the water. The large dark form of the croc causes Finrod to slip in the mud and fall backwards as he tried to retreat from the water's edge where the reptile appeared.

Korg moves up behind Gronar and simultaneously casts enlarge person and shoves Gronar towards the crocodile. The now huge Gronar watches the splashing in the water caused by the flailing Nameroc, and drives the end of his spear into the back of the large reptile. The pain causes the crocodile to rear up and lash it's tail out at Gronar, it misses the hill giant, but Benat uses this chance to hit the exposed rear of the crocodile with both of her arrows. Paquito, now able to see the crocodile thanks to Benat's arrows, sends two magic missiles into it's flank.

Finrod gets to his knees, and overshoots an arrow at the reptile, as the arrow pierces the soft earth of a mud hill behind it. The crocodile drags Nameroc further into the water, however the two glowing arrows give Gronar a perfect target and the giant takes full advantage, driving his spear through the back left thigh of the croc. Benat sends two more arrows into the crocodile's side, as the water takes on a rusty color near the crocodile.

Fearful for it's life and unable to swallow Nameroc, the crocodile emerges from the water and flings the elf through the air to it's right. Nameroc slams face first into the muddy water twenty feet from the large reptile. Finrod throws down his bow, and leaps into the water next to the crocodile, unsheathing his longsword as he leaps. Gronar extends his arm for another attack on the crocodile, but just out of the corner of his vision, the giant spots a large man on the mud hill behind the crocodile throwing something at Gronar. Gronar's minds processes that the large man wasn't there before, just before the small acorns strike Gronar's chest and explode in a fireworks display across his belly.

Gronar reels from the attack, and misses the spear jab at the crocodile. Benat spies the ogre and sends two arrows into his abdomen, and moves over Paquito's position to get a better view.

"There's the shaman! Take him out!" Benat shouts out the order

Korg places a healing hand on Gronar and helps him out of the muck. Finrod slashes his sword across the reptile's back, but his blade fails to draw any blood. Paquito sends a scorching ray ray into the ogre. The crocodile, presses it's advantage and takes a chunk of thigh meat off of Gronar while it whips it's tail into the head of Finrod, causing his head to tear open like a bloated fish.

Nameroc, amazed that he's not dead, plants his feet onto a fallen log beneath him and stands up. Numerous puncture wounds ooze bright red blood across his torso, and already his short time in the water has attracted a couple leeches to his chest. Steeling himself against the pain, Nameroc casts a spell and watches the sky for it's effect. In mere seconds the gray unmoving clouds overhead take on a bruised look as they charge themselves with electrical current. When they can hold no more, Nameroc sends a bolt streaking down onto the large crocodile. The bolt slides off the reptile as it fails to penetrate the spell resistance of the crocodile. Finrod however gets a nice surprise as the residual current sloughs off the crocodile and into the water next to the elf.

"The beast just shocked me, I don't think it's natural at all." Finrod complains

The water around Finrod and Nameroc turns from a dark rust color to a bottomless inky black color, as dark rubbery tentacles erupt from the surface of the water and grasp both elves with unnatural strength.

"Uh oh, I've seen that spell before. I surmise the elves are doomed. No?" Paquito asks Benat

"They will be if all you're going to do is stand there and narrate the battle for me." Benat retorts

The ogre shaman, stands back and admires his little handiwork. With a knowing smile he waves at Korg.

"Why ogre want to be Korg friend? Korg think ogre not very nice to other Korg friends." Korg asks Paquito and Benat

Gronar switches his weapon to his greatsword, and powers it's blade through the crocodile, cleaving it's body in two. He then uses the momentum to slice into the ogre, who quickly replaces the smile on his face with that of snarling hatred. Unable to escape the tentacles, both Finrod and Nameroc disappear below the water surface. The angry clouds overhead swirl in anticipation of a relief that is not yet forthcoming.

Korg turns to look behind him. "Elfy, Pokey? You hear noise?" Korg asks

"Just your yapping, focus on the ogre." Benat instructs the giant, as Paquito shrugs his shoulders at Korg's question

"But, Korg sure he hear noise over there." Korg responds waving his hand out behind him.

"I didn't hear it, therefore you didn't hear it. Just ignore it." Benat answers

Korg pauses and stares at the brownish-gray landscape behind him, then turns his attention back to the battle at hand. Gronar, too massive for the Evard's tentacles to bring down, wades into the writhing mass of blackness and yanks Finrod free of their grasp. He drops the gasping elf onto the mud hill he was on, and looks for Nameroc.

"Yay!" Korg celebrates Gronar's rescue of Finrod. Hearing that same sloshing noise he heard just a moment ago, Korg turns around in time to catch the image of a wet sticky web launching into the air at Korg. The web envelopes the giant and holds him fast.

"Wha..?" Benat says as she turns to find the source of the web, seeing nothing she flies to the other side of Paquito.

Gronar fishes Nameroc out of the water, as Paquito sends another scorching ray into the face of the ogre. The ogre takes a step back and quickly has his body transform into a small stirge. Gronar perceives the buzzing wings off to his right, and slams the flat side of his blade onto the stirge squishing it into the muddy hill and sending entrails spewing through the air.

Gronar turns his attentions to Korg and watches as another web shoots froth from the mud hill behind Korg and landing on Paquito who too is ensnared.

"I can't see anything there!" Benat shouts

"Gronar not see anything too, must be trap." Gronar says. The word trap enters Benat's head and she tells the rest of the party to back up.

Gronar looks up at the flying elf as if to ask "why?", suddenly twin blasts of fire erupt from a point behind Korg, the fire sears Korg's flesh and singes Gronar's.

"Arrgh! Gronar can't hit what Gronar can't see. Maybe it is ghost?" Gronar offers

"It's not a ghost, it must be invisible. Look! there are it's tracks in the mud." Benat points out, kicking herself that she did not heed Korg's warning earlier.

"Korg nurture invisible ghost." Korg responded

"Gladly." Came two voices in unison, as another stream of fire engulfed Paquito and Korg. Yet it's source remained unknown.

Nameroc coughed out last vestiges of swamp water in his lungs, and directed the churning sky to unleash it's endowment upon the ground where the fire originated from. Blinding light rents the sky as the electrical discharge exsiccates the mud beneath that point. A startled shriek emanates from that spot and the form of a large spider comes into focus, curious that it looks like a normal spider, Nameroc begins to look for a rider. Then he beholds not one, but two long necks emerging from the head of the spider, at the end of each neck there sits the head of a dragon.

Jon Potter

First Post
Hairy Minotaur said:
A startled shriek emanates from that spot and the form of a large spider comes into focus, curious that it looks like a normal spider, Nameroc begins to look for a rider. Then he beholds not one, but two long necks emerging from the head of the spider, at the end of each neck there sits the head of a dragon.

Yikes!! What the heck is that?!

Mourning

Although the brief flash of lightening caused the draconid to become visible for a moment, the creature quickly re-energizes it's invisibility. However, the splattering of mud that accompanied the electrical strike, is more than enough to give the creature's general location away.

Having it's underside outlined in from of him, Gronar drives his spear into the soft flesh of the beast's arachnid abdomen. Benat unleashes two arrows into it's back, their glow gives an even greater target to strike for. Korg's struggles against the sticky web, cause him to fall forward into the ruddy water. Normally the low level of water would not be a challenge, however due to his incapacitated state, Korg's head is below the water level now. Paquito has similar balance issues, as he falls prone on top of the dead treant, thankful his descent was halted prior to hitting the water.

The draconid focuses one head at Benat and belches forth a stream of fire at the elf, who twists and dips in the sky avoiding the majority of the stream. The other head expels it's line of conflagration at the huge Gronar, who is unable to avoid the bombardment. Gronar stagers back, and kneels in the warm water in an attempt to find relief from the blistering.

"Nameroc, blast that thing again." Finrod orders the druid

"I can't, the sky is already clearing up. I fear I will have to take another tactic." Nameroc answers as his hands complete the casting of his spell, and a small ball of fire rolls from his hands toward the drowning Korg

"Great plan. No? Fight fire with fire, and burn the fire breathing beast with your own blaze." Paquito yells out

"That's not the plan at all." Nameroc answers, as the ball reaches Korg's exposed back, Nameroc stops the sphere's progress.

Underwater, the giant Korg could feel the heat rise on his back and blister a patch of skin under the heat. Korg shouts out underwater as the sphere nestles down on a kidney. Gronar reaches down and turns Korg over, allowing the hill giant to breath once again, but causing the sphere to burn into his naval now.

"Ahh! Korg on fire! Korg on fire!" Korg screams and twists trying to turn his stomach to the water, he manages to flop face down in the water again, as the burning sensation returns to his lower back.

The draconid splits it's attacks between the easy prey, Korg, and the big prey, Gronar. Draconic teeth sink into Korg's flesh, sending a virulent poison into his bloodstream. Gronar swats away the clamping maw before it can reach him, and he counters with a spear jab of his own to the beast's underside. Green ichor begins to discolor the water underneath the creature.

"It's injured, go for the kill!" Benat yells as she pierces the beast's back with two more arrows

Finrod crests the mud hill he is on and fires an arrow at the beast, but the shaft bounces harmlessly away into the water next to the creature. Nameroc, annoyed that Korg's twisting has prolonged his attempt to burn the web off of the giant, sends the flaming sphere barreling into the draconid. The draconid seems to shudder when the sphere makes contact with it, but then lowers it's entire body onto the blazing ball.

"I applaud your efforts! Good show man. No?" Paquito insults the druid

"Nameroc try something else, preferably something not involving fire." Benat offers, in a more constructive roll than the minotaur.

"Gronar! Korg can't breathe." Finrod shouts as he spies the hill giant face down in the water.

Gronar flips Korg over again, and notices the Giant appears to be unmoving. "Korg! Korg, wake up!" Gronar shouts at his friend, to no avail. Enraged, Gronar stands and drops the huge spear in favor of his huge greatsword. Grasping the trunk-like hilt with both hands, Gronar wades into close combat.

"Stupid monster. You make Korg dead! Gronar make you like gruel!" The giant shouts as his powerful blow arcs through the air and nearly decapitates one of the draconid's necks.

Reeling from fear, the draconid drops it's invisibility disguise and transforms it's self into a large catfish. Benat watches as the beast's shape changes in midair, acting on instinct she fires at the fish just as it hits the water.

"Come back and die like monster, monster!" Gronar shouts unable to see through the murky water to locate the fish.

Benat however sees the glow from her arrow perfectly above the water, and she takes off in flight to follow the fish, firing arrow after arrow into the water in an attempt to kill the thing before it gets away.

After landing a couple of shots, the draconid becomes annoyed with the little elf, and aims to end this game. Benat watches as water and mud erupt from the marsh from the fishes' location. She watches through the mess as some of her arrows jettison up towards her, she twist away to avoid them and once she completes the turn, she comes face to face with a huge red dragon. Undaunted by the beast, Benat fires two arrows into it's face and then flies up overhead of the monster.

The dragon swipes at the small nuisance and clips Benat, sending her tumbling end over end. The dragon crouches to give itself a powerful lift-off and take flight, but a mighty blow from a huge sword almost topples the dragon. The draconid turns to find a heavy breathing Gronar pounding away at the dragon's body.

The dragon turns Gronar's skin to tatters as it's claws fissure his belly, it's jaw bites through the giant's left arm, and it's two wings buffet the back of the giant. Gronar comes crashing down in a bloody mess into the water. Two more arrow shots, turn the dragon's attention to the flying speck of annoyance, and the dragon unleashes a blast of enraged fire at the elf. Benat quickly dodges most of the flames and resets herself for her next attack.

Done playing now, the wounded draconid takes off and flies towards the north, with a tenacious fey dogging it's retreat.

Finrod and Nameroc wade over to Paquito and help him escape from the draconid's web. The two elves then tend to the paralyzed Korg, while Paquito goes to retrieve Gronar's body from the scene of his demise.

"How long should we wait for her?" Finrod asks

"I say another hour then we head back to Mirwood. No?" Paquito answers

The two elves and minotaur had spent four hours already, waiting on Benat to return, and attempting to console Korg over the death of his friend.

"No, Korg say we go now. Korg go to elfy temple and make them make Gronar come back. If they no want to do that, then Korg will nurture elfys all the way to hell."

The rest of the party offers no dissention to that, and they head out together with Korg carrying the deceased Gronar on his back.

Tav_Behemoth

First Post
Hairy Minotaur said:
Gronar comes crashing down in a bloody mess into the water.

Ulp!

I read fantasy novels so much more often than I do story hours - and the quality of your writing is so good that I'm never reminded that this isn't a novel - that as I'm going along I sometimes forget that this is based on a D&D game, but the death of a character really drives it home.

It's interesting to think about the continuum of importance that's attached to the death of a protagonist - in a fantasy novel, it's usually a crucial event (although exceptions exist, like the Jhereg series, and there's lots of SF in which your backup can be loaded into a new body when the old one is killed). In D&D, it matters, and you feel it pretty intensely when it happens to you, but the sting is lessened by the likelihood of resurrection. In a videogame, your heroes die all the time and it's not much more than a momentary setback!

Looking forward to what happens next...

Remove ads