What Bardic Music abilities constitute a standard action?

Methos of Aundair

First Post
This question was posted by another user on the WizCo board and I don’t feel it got the proper attention it needed, or at least never fully discussed. So I have brought it here in the hopes of better responses. Please read the full post before posting yourself since there will be both points and counter points. Each quote will reference what file it was taken from in the SRD followed by the core book and page number.

My question is “What Bardic Music abilities require a standard action to maintain”?

This question is in reference to this statement:

SRD (Classes I: Bard)/Player’s HB pg. 29

Starting a bardic music effect is a standard action. Some bardic music abilities require concentration, which means the bard must take a standard action each round to maintain the ability.

1. First off we must go through the Bardic Music abilities and locate those abilities that specifically mention requiring concentration. We come up with fascinate, inspire competence, and song of freedom. Due to song of freedom requiring a full minute of uninterrupted concentration I do not feel this would help or hinder our standard action question, so unless someone else has a specific reason why not too I will drop that ability from this discussion.

Not counting song of freedom we have two abilities that specifically state they require concentration, though there is one problem. One of those abilities (inspire competence) is a Su ability.

Player’s HB pg. 142

Supernatural Abilities (Su): … Its use cannot be disrupted, does not require concentration, and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Sorry, couldn’t find the correlating reference in the SRD that specifically states does not require concentration.

By this it would state that only the Sp bardic music abilities require concentration even though inspire competence (Su) directly states it requires concentration. I would assume (opinion here) that the statement under bardic music would take precedence over that statement made under the Su description.

2. Another point is that the statement in question states “…concentration, which means the bard must take a standard action each round to maintain the ability”. This possibly implies that to maintain an ability (bardic music only) would require concentration. Using that theory we would then consider these bardic music abilities as possible standard actions to maintain: countersong, fascinate, inspire courage, inspire greatness, and inspire heroics. My basis is that several of these abilities require an ally to hear the bard sing plus five rounds after. By the theory of “to maintain would require concentration” than to maintain the inspire courage, greatness, and heroics would therefore be a standard action. After all the bard has to continue singing every round to maintain the benefits of these abilities. The countersong requires a perform check each round he/she attempts to countersong, implying they are maintaining and therefore requiring a standard action. Obviously fascinate and inspire competence were discussed in the above point and shouldn’t need further clarification in this one.

3. If we go by the definition of Sp and Su abilities only the Sp abilities require concentration thereby leaving us with fascinate, mass suggestion, and suggestion. Both mass suggestion and suggestion do not require concentration to maintain. The bard could use these abilities on someone then kill over dead from a heart attack two seconds later and it would not take away the affect of the suggestion. Fascinate states it requires concentration.

Summary:

1. By this point would fascinate be the only bardic music ability that requires a standard action to maintain? Or would the statement under bardic music take precedence over the Su definition?

2. Are we correct in assuming that to maintain a bardic music ability requires concentration? In other words to maintain the inspire courage ability the bard has to sing every round to maintain it. By that would it mean concentration is required, thereby using a standard action?

3. Do we use the description of Sp and Su abilities to determine which bardic music abilities require a concentration to maintain? If so then wouldn’t fascinate be the only ability that falls under the questionable statement?

4. Is there another way to look at this or do I just have too much time on my hands?

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Methos of Aundair said:
1. By this point would fascinate be the only bardic music ability that requires a standard action to maintain? Or would the statement under bardic music take precedence over the Su definition?
Yes, the specific overrules the general.
2. Are we correct in assuming that to maintain a bardic music ability requires concentration? In other words to maintain the inspire courage ability the bard has to sing every round to maintain it. By that would it mean concentration is required, thereby using a standard action?
I have never played it that way, nor ever heard of a DM requiring it to be played that way. Nor have I ever seen an article that assumes such. Only those types of bardic music that mention concentration require concentration.
3. Do we use the description of Sp and Su abilities to determine which bardic music abilities require a concentration to maintain? If so then wouldn’t fascinate be the only ability that falls under the questionable statement?
No. You use the descriptions of the bardic music abilities themselves, which mention if concentration is required.
4. Is there another way to look at this or do I just have too much time on my hands?
I would say too much time. You seem to be taking something that (to me, at least) is straightforward, and twisting it around in your head.

Methos of Aundair

First Post
Originally posted by Lord Pendragon

I would say too much time. You seem to be taking something that (to me, at least) is straightforward, and twisting it around in your head.

I would have to agree with you. :) My own belief was #1 was correct but I figured I'd ask last night. Couldn't sleep, so why not? :D

Remove ads