M2: The Search for Goblin HQ

orsal

LEW Judge
(OOC: OK, this has gotten a bit jumbled chronologically, but I guess now that we've all checked into the thread we can consider ourselves at the turnoff.)

Patlin said:
"Up that hill? We're very close, then. Do we have a scout to check for alarms or sentries?"

Nurlan replies, "It's a few hours ride to the avalanche, even longer at walking speed. Nothing happened to us until we tried to cross the avalanche. I guess we ought to watch out, since this road is less used than the main one and could have more surprises, but I wouldn't stop to scout anything until we reach the avalanche."

Last edited:

Gurdjieff

First Post
OoC: Irene has been confirmed & updated. Assuming we're just about to reach the avalanche:

"So we return to this forsaken place. I wonder if those creatures we saw last time are here again. Maybe we should let someone scout ahead now?"

orsal

LEW Judge
Venus said:
OoC: Irene has been confirmed & updated. Assuming we're just about to reach the avalanche:

"So we return to this forsaken place. I wonder if those creatures we saw last time are here again. Maybe we should let someone scout ahead now?"

Nurlan says, "I'd first like to look more closely at the rocks. Last time there were some signs that someone had been killed here. Maybe we can figure out more, before we attract any hostile attention."

He starts poking around the avalanche. In our time away has anything changed?

Patlin

Explorer
ooc: I'm not sure if this will help anyone but me, but here's a brief sketch of who's in the party.

Somac, the greatsword wielding Barbarian.
Tor, the chain wielding Barbarian.
Irene, the halfling illusionist.
Ashnar, the wizard.
Nurlan, the bard.
Charlarn, the cleric.
Rinaldo, the spice merchant. (Rogue)
Tenebryn, the librarian. (Diviner/Fighter)

I believe Tor and Somac are in front, with Charlan just behind them and Irene and Ashnar next. Perhaps Rinaldo and Tenebryn would like to take up a rear guard, in case anyone gets the drop on us?

Somac seems to be a fairly quiet fellow, and may very well be our best scout. Overall, stealth doesn't seem to be one of our strengths, though. We might want to give up on the suggestion of having someone sneak on ahead... it tends to be crazy dangerous unless you're really good at it.

/ooc

Nurlan says, "I'd first like to look more closely at the rocks. Last time there were some signs that someone had been killed here. Maybe we can figure out more, before we attract any hostile attention."

Tor seems a bit nervous, possibly over the possibility of his first real combat.

"I'll keep my eyes open while you seach through the rocks, in case anything comes upon us while your searching. Be carefull not to create a rockslide while you search, though... and be wary of anything hostile underneath the rocks, too. This area seems warm enough for snakes."

Last edited:

Manzanita

First Post
The avalanch

When the party initially leaves the main road, the old trail is barely visible. After about a mile, it is clear that is becomes fairly well used. Traveling another hour or so North, the party finds itself in rugged hills, fairly thick with brush and conifers. Visibility is quite low off the trail.

The trail is winding along the side of a fairly steep hill when it is abruptly washed out by an avalanch. Examining the rocks, and the vegitation growth upon them, the party estimates it occured about a month ago. The washed out area is about 50 feet across. Beyond that, the trail becomes clear and visible again.

The rockslide consists mostly of medium sized to tiny rocks. (skree) A few large boulders dot the area. Looking up and down, the party can see the avalanch started near the top of the ridge and continues all the way down to the river below. There is no easy way to avoid going over it.

Nurlan dismounts and gazes down at the rockslide. There do appear to be broken pieces of wood, some of the curved like wagon wheels. He now thinks he sees a few shiny spots of metal. These remains are about in the middle of the slide, about 30 feet down the hill.

orsal

LEW Judge
Patlin said:
Tor seems a bit nervous, possibly over the possibility of his first real combat.

"I'll keep my eyes open while you seach through the rocks, in case anything comes upon us while your searching. Be carefull not to create a rockslide while you search, though... and be wary of anything hostile underneath the rocks, too. This area seems warm enough for snakes."

"Good idea, and thanks for that," says Nurlan. "Charlarn, you should probably also keep an eye out -- this was where the ghouls appeared last time, and if they return you're our most important person."

orsal

LEW Judge
Manzanita said:
Nurlan dismounts and gazes down at the rockslide. There do appear to be broken pieces of wood, some of the curved like wagon wheels. He now thinks he sees a few shiny spots of metal. These remains are about in the middle of the slide, about 30 feet down the hill.

"Look here," shouts Nurlan. "Here are the remnants of a wagon. Do you think the people in it were killed by the avalanche, or maybe by the goblins?"

OOC: Can he dig around either the wood or the metal, or are the rocks too big?

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
Somac: Human Bbn1

Somac looks somewhat dismayed at the sight of the avalanche. Turning to others in the party to discuss ways over or around it, he says, "This looks difficult, indeed. I don't know if I could balance well enough to make it across the entire 50 feet without falling. I'm better at climbing. Perhaps we should climb to the top of the ledge here, and then find a way around the avalanche up there."

The barbarian crosses his arms over his chest, and rubs his chin worriedly as he watches the others.

Manzanita

First Post
For Nurlan to examine the wagon remains closely, he'd have to venture into the skree.

To make it to the top of the hill through the brush might take any hour.

Remove ads