Fatigue / Exhaustion and Item Saves

Carpe DM

First Post
Three questions:

1. Where are the rules for straight-up lack-of-sleep exhaustion (i.e., "I watch over the party all night and don't sleep.")?

2. It can't be that every time a person is hit with an area effect, all items they wear make a saving throw and take damage. But how does one adjudicate when an "attended" item makes a save? When it is directly targeted?

3. Exhaustion is defined as being what happens when a person suffers a fatiguing event while already fatigued. But what happens when you're suffering ongoing starvation, thirst, cold, or the like? Are you fatigued for one hour, then immediately upon taking the second die of non-lethal damage exhausted?

best,

Carpe

UltimaGabe

First Post
Carpe DM said:
2. It can't be that every time a person is hit with an area effect, all items they wear make a saving throw and take damage. But how does one adjudicate when an "attended" item makes a save? When it is directly targeted?

It is assumed that when a person is hit by an area effect, all of his equipment is safe (even if he fails the save) unless he rolls a natural 1. If he rolls a natural 1, one item of his takes damage (there's a chart in the PHB, I believe, that lists which objects are affected first) depending on what he has equipped. Alternatively, certain spells or effects directly target a piece of equipment- such as Heat Metal. In this case, if the object is worn (such as a suit of armor), it uses the wearer's save, and if it's not (such as an iron door) it generally doesn't get a save- unless it's magical, in which case it gets a save (there's some formula in the DMG that says what a magical object's save bonuses are- something like 3 + half the caster level or something).

Egres

First Post
1)There aren't rules about this matter.
However, take a look at this thread.

2)Actually items must make a saving throw only after the wearer rolled a natural 1 on his saving throw.

Last edited:

Remove ads