Deities and Demigods ~ Thank You God!

Information

First Post
It was Friday, April 12, 2002. 4:25 PM. Not even 30 minutes after getting home from work. I place a call to the Hobby Center.

"Do you have Deities and Demigods in yet?"

"Yes, we do."

...Click...

My emotions overcame me. I was drifting in and out of Limbo. Before I knew it, I was driving down a 35 MPH zone doing at least 50. The next thing I know, I have in my hand the 3rd Edition D&D rendition of Deities and Demigods (and a copy of the Encyclopedia of Demons and Devils)!!!

I couldn't resist the urge of ripping the plastic wrapping off of my newly found treasure. I perused its beautiful pages, overcome by humility and awe at the wonder of endless deity stats and full color illustrations which far surpass, IMHO, anything else that has be so fortunate to grace the pages of a D&D book.

Truly the best book I have seen in 3rd Edition Dungeons and Dragons!!!

Crothian

First Post
I'm pretty happy with it. I'd have like to see more real world panthions though. We're getting the FR gods in a future product, they need a D&Dg 2 that has more panthions. Make it require the first book so they need not reprint all the extra stuff.

That's another thing that bugged me. Up until this book, only a small number of feats had been reprinted. THis book had one new feat and like 20 reprints. I know they are trying to make it so one does not need to buy all the books. But for once they could reward those of us who do instead of punishing us with all this reprinted stuff.

Sodalis

First Post
I agree.

the artwork is magnificent. The Gods are all neatly drawn with inticate detail- and their descriptions make me laugh and cry at the same time. That a GOD has stats, but the bonuses are so insane that it is almost not even worth trying to confront them.

I lik eit how the description and the picture are almost always on the same page-and the pictures are so damn well drawn... well worth the $30 paid...

Phoenix8008

First Post
Does it have rules for creating Gods so that we can do our homebrew pantheons? I've got a PC that is a son to a God and I'd like to be able to stat him out someday.

Thanks for the info!

Crothian

First Post
Basically it does. There are no hard fast rules, but if you read the beginning and it gives good guide lines for doing it. I plan on doing that with my 13 gods at some point. Thank goodness I never had that many. :D

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I don't see how useful it will be except as a monster manual for epics. It's pretty much the same as the old 1e book. It's got stats for each god, it tells a small bit about thier church, and it's got a section defining the various divine abilities. Where is the info on the churches and varous religious organizations that are devoted to these gods. That would be MUCH more helpful than stats. Didn't buy it, will buy a regiment of citadel orks instead. I'm sure someone will say I'm just going out of my way to bash 3e but it's not anymore useful that the old book, which was never used in 15 years of 1e gaming. I can make up a pathenon of gods witout this book...anyone can.

tsadkiel

Legend
Flexor the Mighty! said:
Where is the info on the churches and varous religious organizations that are devoted to these gods. That would be MUCH more helpful than stats.

Info on churches and various religious organizations tends to be pretty darned campaign specific. It's great if it happens to fit into the campaign you're using, but otherwise it's just wasted space.

Honestly, for me, devising details about churches, etc. is the fun part - I want to do that. A book detailing what the gods themselves are like, especially with four detailed example pantheons, is much more useful to me. (Then again, I play in a long running Greyhawk campaign which has incorporated elements of the Egyptioan, Greek, and Norse pantheons over the years, so the book's probably a bit more useful to me than to most.)

YMMV.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I don't see why the couldn't go into a lot more detail about the Greyhawk gods followers and organizations? That's a specific campaign. I just don't see how this uber Monster Manual is anymore useful than the older versions. I was dissapointed.

P.S. Heironeous uses an axe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hong

WotC's bitch
Flexor the Mighty! said:
I don't see why the couldn't go into a lot more detail about the Greyhawk gods followers and organizations? That's a specific campaign.

Because nobody cares about Greyhawk.

Remove ads