Stupid characters.....

Reprisal

First Post
Reprisal: You make them roll? I prefer the point build system I want to build a character the way I want him. Rolling your atts. is making due with the garbage life deals and THIS is what we do every day isn't it? But to each his own.

One of the major players in my group absolutely detests the idea of point-buy attributes. He said it doesn't feel right with that whole D&D feel. I must confess that I've no idea what he's talking about, but pehaps we can ask Holy Bovine, if he's still around... :p Still, I'm not much for that whole escapism angle as much as I am the whole enjoyment factor. I believe that the organic rolling thing is about as much a medium as I'll get... but I didn't use it this time around...

I must confess that I like point-buy over all other methods... but, every once in a while, one must bow to consensus.

Black Omega

First Post
Int10 is pretty average so that's not such a big deal. Though in the two campaigns I've played in, I had a high Int Wizand a14Int Rogue,so....

For a Fantasy Hero game sometime I have an idea for a big tough, not to smart fighter type. He doesn't come up with good plans on his own, but he used to be the sidekick of a great hero. So anytime I want to spout off a plan or idea it will just start with "I recall when we got in a fix once and Musashi had this idea for....":)

hong

WotC's bitch
Reprisal said:

One of the major players in my group absolutely detests the idea of point-buy attributes. He said it doesn't feel right with that whole D&D feel.

The only way that creating characters can be so central to the D&D feel is if it forms a major part of your playing time. In which case, I'm not sure I want to know why he's creating characters all the time....

gustavef

First Post
As a DM, I don't directly correlate Character intellegence with Player Intellegence. Just because your character may have an 8 or lower int, (got two in my current campaing) does not mean you can't offer any advice. Wisdom is just as good as intellegence for being inspired. "Out of the mouth of babes and fools is sometimes wisdom."

Also I would say that if one of the players came up with an idea, then one of the characters did. Maybe not the one that the player is playing. I like to play my games a team orrenited. So I get the Players to work together.

Also not all my players know the rules the same. If some one thinks that another player's character should do something different, I let them interject. Still the player of the character makes the final choice. But the idea is usualy something that the character would think of, even if the player would not.

-gustavef

Reprisal

First Post
Uh...

The only way that creating characters can be so central to the D&D feel is if it forms a major part of your playing time. In which case, I'm not sure I want to know why he's creating characters all the time....

Nice logic, but if you're implying what I think you are, it's pretty much not true. I don't believe that his characters have been killed at all... Personally, I think he sets some significant importance on the possibility of very powerful characters. I think the whole idea of point-buy abhores him because that possibility is, in fact, an impossibility with point-buy. :rolleyes:

Oh well, guess I have to live with it, you know?

Thaiger

First Post
One of my first and favorite characters that I've played was a 9' gaintman(special race designed specifically for this character) fighter that had an Int of 5. He was incredibly fun to play 'because' I'm a fairly intelligent person. I found it a challenge to react slowly to events and ended up playing him with a childish innocence. A big guy with a bigger heart.

Now admittedly, I played this character in 2ed when Int didn't matter as much mechanically. However, I would be more then willing to play such a character again in 3ed. While skills are great to have, I don't feel that you need a lot of them to create a fun and interesting character.

KnowTheToe

First Post
Certain classes do not benefit from int. bonuses. The fighter and barb as mentioned earlier don't get many skill points and the fighter has the worst list of class skills in the world. To be a adept guard with listen and spot you have to multiclass or be a genius. It is a broken part of the system IMO.

Breakstone

First Post
Just because you have a low intelligence doesn't mean you can't come up with plans. It just takes a little longer.

My first long-lasting 3e character was Splurk the half-orc barbarian/cleric. He had a 6 intelligence.

He was more fun than a barrel of dire monkeys.

I played him as dumb yet innocent. He'd have staring contests with statues, drinking contests with dwarves, and hopscotch contests with elven children.

I put his skill point into a wisdom-based skill, specifically Profession: Cook.

It's fun and challenging to play low-intelligence characters, just as it's fun and challenging to play high-intelligence characters.

Bugbear

First Post
Oni said:
I've always been of the opinion that people in general have, and gamers in particular, have an over inflated sense of their own mental prowess.

Duh...

What?

Seriously though, I rarely play a charicter with less than a 14 Int, But I Like to play Characters with low Wis scores :)

Remove ads