When, How and What Do You Play?

grimmgoose

Explorer
I have two groups that meet weekly:
  • a casual group that meets Monday nights. We start at 6:30 and end around 9:30
  • a "less casual" (not necessarily hardcore, but closer) group that meets Friday nights. We start at 7:00, and typically play until 11:30
Both groups are playing D&D at the moment, but that's only because the Monday group just wrapped up an "IT" reroll using Genesys, and the Friday group is taking a break from a Peaky Blinders-esque game in Savage Worlds.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
1) Thursday night, at a player's house, biweekly, 7-8 participants. Mostly D&D, although we try other stuff.
2) Friday night, same player's house, biweekly, 6 participants. Pretty much always D&D.
3) Monday night, weekly, 5 participants, online. Only about 2 hours.
4) Saturday night, roughly monthly, longtime friends and family group. Currently 9 participants.

Arilyn

Hero
I'm running Old Gods of Appalachia from Monte Cook Games and alternating it with Black Sword Hack. I'm playing in a Shadowdark campaign that my husband is running. We play in person and fairly regularly. It's the same group of people and just 4 of us in total. We're old and retired or semi-retired. Time again. 🧓😁

I may get involved with a different group playing Free League's Vaesen, with my daughter as GM, but she's very busy with work, so we'll see.

After The current campaigns we are looking at Wildsea, Dragonbane and definitely Dolmenwood.

Reynard

Legend
1) Thursday night, at a player's house, biweekly, 7-8 participants. Mostly D&D, although we try other stuff.
2) Friday night, same player's house, biweekly, 6 participants. Pretty much always D&D.
3) Monday night, weekly, 5 participants, online. Only about 2 hours.
4) Saturday night, roughly monthly, longtime friends and family group. Currently 9 participants.
Out of curiosity, what is the crossover among participants. in other words, how many unique players?

So, what are you playing? How often? Using what format or venue?
Currently my group is playing 5e's Tyranny of Dragons. We've been playing in this adventure since January 2023.

We typically meet every Monday night on my group's Discord channel around 8:30pm EST/7:30pm CST. Our sessions begin with a recap of what the party did in the previous session. The rest of the session is held on the Tabletop Simulator and each session lasts about 3-4 hours.

TwoSix

Out of curiosity, what is the crossover among participants. in other words, how many unique players?
Besides myself, there's 2 other players in both my Thursday and Friday night group. Every other group has unique players.

Not counting myself, there's 22 other people I regularly game with.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
So, what are you playing? How often? Using what format or venue?

I am running two 5E games.

One is in-person, hosted in my basement game room ("living the dream!") and we meet every 3 to 5 weeks. We had been leaning towards 5 weeks vs. 3 weeks, so I have been trying to push for 3 weeks the last couple of times and so far so good. There are four PCs - which are all folks I only started playing with when I moved to Pittsburgh in 2019 (we played for just over a year remotely during the pandemic - see below) - one had never played before, one had played one or two one-shots or failed campaigns, and two had last played in 2E era. Everyone is in their 40s (except for me - I'm 52). This is the same group I ran through an adaptation of Ghosts of Saltmarsh, but we put that group on hiatus after the climax of The Final Enemy. We hope to return to these characters eventually.

The other game also meets every 3 to 5 weeks (and like above, I have been pushing us towards 3 weeks over 4 or 5 lately, and so far so good) but it is run remotely. We play over Zoom, using a table camera for minis/combat and Owlbear Rodeo for exploration mode. Since this seemed to work for Group One, I decided to start a second group of people scattered from Italy to L.A. This game is also based on GoS, and the idea behind it was that I could reuse what I had prepped for the above game (though currently it has veered pretty far from the first group - so far that we now have a player in common). This group includes, two people I have played D&D and other RPGs with since the 90s (one in '93, the other '96), one who played in (along with the '93 guy) my "Out of the Frying Pan" 3E campaign from ('01 to '06) before moving to Milan (where he still lives), one who is the recruited played from my other game (the newbie), and one was a recruit from a short-lived DCC game, who I had never played with before then. Of the six of us, three of us are in our 50s, two in their 40s, and not sure how old the former DCC group player is (late 20s? early 30s?).

I wish we could commit to playing every 2 weeks - but schedules just don't allow it, and unlike what others who prefer to schedule more often to allow for an occasional missed session - I prefer to schedule each session at the end of the current session and then make sure we make it.

In the 4+ years I've been running these games, we've only ever had one player miss two sessions and another miss one session over the course of two campaigns (though we have had people Zoom in due to Covid once or twice) in Group One, and in Group Two (leaving aside an early player who dropped out after missing twice - a new baby will do that) we've only ever had one player miss once (and that was just a couple of months ago). The only time we ever had to straight up cancel a session was when I had covid and was too sick to run even remotely.

I'd love to join a biweekly weekday evening game as a player ideally in-person, but remote would also hit the spot. In the meantime, I run games for Dungeons n' Drafts - PGH and occasionally drop-in as a player for a one-shot.

Edit to Add: In-person group plays 4 to 5 hours. Remote group plays 3 hours.

I run a weekly Tuesday game session over Foundry. It was my weekly in person group pre-Covid and once we moved online we haven’t moved back. Scheduling and attendance has been much easier. Occasionally that group meets in person on a Saturday for something special. Currently running Wrath of the Righteous with PF1. We are in the second module which caps at 9th level. After that I’ll decide whether we continue or move to something else. I have several projects on deck that might prompt a change.

I run an intermittent, bi-weekly FLGS game on Friday nights. It’s been very intermittent lately and it’s all my fault.

I play in a bi-weekly Foundry GURPS Twilight 2k game. We are coming up on session 4 this weekend. It’s the first time in 25+ years I’ve gotten to be a player.

TwoSix

Are these on alternate weeks or the same week?
Generally they’re alternate, for the benefit of the three of us in both groups. Occasionally schedule disruptions will push them into the same week, but we try to limit that whenever possible.

Remove ads