Fallout Tabletop: What are you doing/planning?

Reynard

Legend
I wanted to like it but it tried to mimic FO4s system to much. Crafting etc.
That's how I felt on first blush but I gave it another look after a while and the supplements have done a good job of broadening its use beyond FO4 on the tabletop. And, obviously, you can just ignore the base building just like you can in FO4.

Celebrim

Legend
At least once a year I think to myself, "I enjoyed Gamma World so much back in the day, I should run a Post Apocalyptic game."

And then I actually start thinking about how much work would be required to make one I'd enjoy running - literally have to make everything from scratch, system, setting, and adventure - and I put the idea back on the shelf of ideas indefinitely.

Reynard

Legend
At least once a year I think to myself, "I enjoyed Gamma World so much back in the day, I should run a Post Apocalyptic game."

And then I actually start thinking about how much work would be required to make one I'd enjoy running - literally have to make everything from scratch, system, setting, and adventure - and I put the idea back on the shelf of ideas indefinitely.
Why?

Celebrim

Legend

Because I have very specific preferences about chargen and gameplay that I don't think I've seen any one game system address. I'd be wanting to blend like D20 Modern with The One Ring 1e. Much as I loved Gamma World as a kid, I feel the setting is just a bit to campy for me now and while there are a lot of things I'd want to steal from it, there are a lot of things I'd want to change as well.

Reynard

Legend
Because I have very specific preferences about chargen and gameplay that I don't think I've seen any one game system address. I'd be wanting to blend like D20 Modern with The One Ring 1e. Much as I loved Gamma World as a kid, I feel the setting is just a bit to campy for me now and while there are a lot of things I'd want to steal from it, there are a lot of things I'd want to change as well.
There are a million PA games out there, not to mention more generic toolkits. I mean, if you enjoy building games, go for it! But don't not play a game because you don't feel like there is one that fits. I can almost guarantee you there is some game that will be close enough.

Based on things you have said you liked in other threads, I wonder if Cortex Prime would work since it is a toolkit you can set the dials on. (I don't know the game myself, just going on what others have described.)

Celebrim

Legend
There are a million PA games out there, not to mention more generic toolkits. I mean, if you enjoy building games, go for it! But don't not play a game because you don't feel like there is one that fits. I can almost guarantee you there is some game that will be close enough.

Based on things you have said you liked in other threads, I wonder if Cortex Prime would work since it is a toolkit you can set the dials on. (I don't know the game myself, just going on what others have described.)

I doubt it would work for me. My aesthetic in gaming is to have multiple minigames that are highly specific to the task resolution that they are trying to simulate. So I would want a combat system granular enough to handle everything from sharpened sticks to automatic weapons and "phased plasma rifle in a 40 terawatt range" and so forth while giving each weapon a distinctive feel. Travel would be an important part of the game and so I'd want something that could handle the difference between bitter cold, acid rain, and a radioactive ash storm. Having everything just be a generic test with generic consequences doesn't cut it for me, and I just don't trust something as generic as Cortex Prime to deal with that. And I'd be drawing on inspiration as diverse as "A Canticle for Leibowitz" and "Mad Max", and of course "Hiero's Journey" (the inspiration for Gamma World).

Remove ads