Final Fantasy XIV Getting an Official TTRPG

Square Enix announced the first official adaptation of the Final Fantasy franchise for tabletop RPGs

Square Enix leaked a pre-order page for Final Fantasy XIV TTRPG Starter Set on their online store on Wednesday morning before taking it down that afternoon and putting it back up again overnight.

20230907_3d_box_b__15755.jpg
The order page for the new TTRPG went live on Wednesday for around 6 hours before being taken down, but not before being archived via the Wayback Machine. It's likely the game was scheduled for announcement during the Letter from the Producer event on September 23 but was posted live by mistake. As of Thursday morning, the pre-order page is live again on the site along with an announcement page confirming a player and GM core rulebook along with an official preview page.

The new game will be based on the MMORPG video game Final Fantasy XIV, which currently has over 3 million active daily players available on PC, macOS, and PlayStation. This marks the first official adaptation of the popular and long-running Final Fantasy video game franchise to tabletop RPGs. From the product description before it was removed:

Based on the hit MMO Final Fantasy XIV, the FFXIV TTRPG is a tabletop roleplaying game that lets you experience Eorzea from a whole new perspective. Step into the shoes of a heroic adventurer or assume the game master's mantle, then cooperate to forge your own unique stories within the vast and exciting universe of Final Fantasy XIV. The Final Fantasy XIV TTRPG Starter Set comes with everything you need to dive into the game and includes both the Player Book and the Gamemaster Book. Gather your friends together to explore, battle, and roleplay--the only limits are your imagination, and the only goal is to have fun. Discover a realm of adventure reborn!

TTRPG_Beauty_Shot__06124.jpg

The Starter Set will include a Player Book, Gamemaster Book (including three scenarios tying into the FF14 main story), four pre-generated characters (Warrior, White Mage, Dragoon, and Black Mage), Rules Summary & Strategy Guide, encounter maps, character tokens, and ability markers. The set will also include custom numeric dice - 6d20 total (two red and one each of green, blue, black, and clear) with the Final Fantasy XIV logo in place of the 20 and 10d6 (four red, two each of blue and green, and one each of black and clear). No further information about the game system is available at this time.

The set is scheduled for a May 2024 release and is available for pre-order for $59.99.

Note: This article has been edited to update with new information as the pre-order page was taken down, then put back up again, then an official announcement and preview page released.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

overgeeked

B/X Known World
If you zoom in on this pic from the Starter Set you see they're basically the same. Different character art, 5 instead of 6 stats, same bonuses, etc.

Last edited:

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
There's definitely a 5e basis to it... 6 stats (CON and WIS re-named), there appear to be the 6 saves with a proficiency bonus (+3 on these sheets) to two of them but otherwise match the base stat. Same with skills under the base stat (and CON/VIT having no skills).

If I had to guess damage/healing are preset numbers (no rolling).

Zehnseiter

Adventurer
Mhhh. I see MP at two of these sheets. At the spellcaster classes. And at least as much stuff under the numbers for the non casters to do. So even if this is based on 5E ist seems to be quite modified.

Abstruse

Legend
Also, can I say I'm surprised we've made it this far into a discussion about the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV with an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award-winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime and nobody did this meme yet...

Gradine

Also, can I say I'm surprised we've made it this far into a discussion about the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV with an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award-winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime and nobody did this meme yet...
The meme is in the shop right now waiting for the next patch to add to the expanded free trial the entirety of the award-winning Stormblood expansion up to level 70 for free with no restrictions on playtime.

Weiley31

Legend
If I keep on waiting to play FF XIV, I'm sure they'll reach a point where the free trial will extend all the way up to Endwalker!

Granted, 17 more big paid expansions will have come out for it by then probably.

Gradine

I hopped on the free trial pretty recently and it's been a lot of fun. The community is incredibly great; I got lost in a dungeon once and the other folks helped steer me in the right direction to get caught up and didn't yell at me at all and in fact still gave me commendations at the end. It's like bizarro-WoW in that regard.

The class switching is also incredibly fun

aramis erak

Legend
I got off the FF train at Final Fantasy X-2... never did the MMO ones, never got to a PS3/4/5.
So this has about half the appeal for me that older ones would have had. (US IV, VII, and X would be my choice of flavors for the fluff, but I can understand them going for the more lore available MMOs as baseline.

I got off the FF train at Final Fantasy X-2... never did the MMO ones, never got to a PS3/4/5.
So this has about half the appeal for me that older ones would have had. (US IV, VII, and X would be my choice of flavors for the fluff, but I can understand them going for the more lore available MMOs as baseline.

I have never played the MMO, but from what I understand, all the other FF worlds connect to the world in FF XIV and there are in-game crossover events, so the lore of all the FF games may be fair game.

Remove ads

Remove ads