Board Game Arkham Horror Getting an RPG from Edge Studio

The boxed starter set will debut at Gen Con with a simultaneous worldwide release

Asmodee and Edge Studio announced the upcoming release of Arkham Horror: The Roleplaying Game. The game will launch as a boxed starter set available at Gen Con 2024 with a worldwide release coming on August 2.

arkham-horror-the-rpg-e1709834265744.jpg

The game will use the Dynamic Pool System (DPS), a d6 dice pool system with mechanics that “are easy to learn but contain strategic depths that are sure to entertain even expert TTRPG players”. The initial adventure, Hungering Abyss, will be divided into 10 scenes each playable in an hour or more.

The boxed set will include a 48-page adventure book, a Game Master’s reference board, 5 character portfolios, 24 six-sided dice (12 black and 12 green), 3 double-sided poster maps, 16 NPC profile cards, 21 item and spell cards, 3 punchboards of tokens and puzzles, and “several handouts”. All hobby stores that are part of Asmodee’s Hobby Next Program will have an additional set of dice as a bonus.

The original board game from Fantasy Flight Games originally came out in 2005. Players choose their investigator and explore the titular city of Arkham in the 1920s attempting to arm themselves with the items, skills, and spells they need to close the gateways spread across the city before the Ancient One arises. A living card game was also released in 2016.

Arkham Horror: The Roleplaying Game Starter Set will be available at Gen Con 2024 and in stores in the USA, Canada, UK, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, and “some other European countries” on August 2, 2024, with a retail price of $34.99.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Psikosis

Explorer
Asmodee and Edge Studio announced the upcoming release of Arkham Horror: The Roleplaying Game. The game will launch as a boxed starter set available at Gen Con 2024 with a worldwide release coming on August 2.

The game will use the Dynamic Pool System (DPS), a d6 dice pool system with mechanics that “are easy to learn but contain strategic depths that are sure to entertain even expert TTRPG players”. The initial adventure, Hungering Abyss, will be divided into 10 scenes each playable in an hour or more.

The boxed set will include a 48-page adventure book, a Game Master’s reference board, 5 character portfolios, 24 six-sided dice (12 black and 12 green), 3 double-sided poster maps, 16 NPC profile cards, 21 item and spell cards, 3 punchboards of tokens and puzzles, and “several handouts”. All hobby stores that are part of Asmodee’s Hobby Next Program will have an additional set of dice as a bonus.

The original board game from Fantasy Flight Games originally came out in 2005. Players choose their investigator and explore the titular city of Arkham in the 1920s attempting to arm themselves with the items, skills, and spells they need to close the gateways spread across the city before the Ancient One arises. A living card game was also released in 2016.

Arkham Horror: The Roleplaying Game Starter Set will be available at Gen Con 2024 and in stores in the USA, Canada, UK, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, and “some other European countries” on August 2, 2024, with a retail price of $34.99.

Psikosis

Explorer
Not be overly fussy, but the original board game Arkham Horror came out in the '80s from Chaosium. It was eventually licensed to FFG that resulted in their first version in '04.

DerKastellan

Explorer
To that end, I was a big fan of the Star Wars system FFG produced and one of the great tragedies of the FFG Star Wars RPG is that we never got sourcebooks for the sequel trilogy or any of the Disney+ series. Given how popular the Mandalorian was at it's premier, I thought for sure a tie-in product would have been forthcoming, but when nothing was announced was when I knew the game was doomed.

What sequel trilogy?

(And they did an Ep VII boxed starter set, IIRC. Maybe it wasn't working out for them.)

As for the Mandalorian, yes, that might have been nice. I guess most of what's missing is related to the Mandalorians themselves. Pretty much everything else from the Outer Rim setting is covered in Edge of the Empire books.

Wolfpack48

Adventurer
The Arkham Horror 2e boardgame is one of the earliest co-op and most emergent story boardgames you can find (Eldritch does a good job too), perhaps credit to Chaosium ownership for 1e early on. Will be interesting to see the AH RPG angle on the mythos.

TheBanjoNerd

Gelatinous Dungeon Master
What sequel trilogy?

(And they did an Ep VII boxed starter set, IIRC. Maybe it wasn't working out for them.)

As for the Mandalorian, yes, that might have been nice. I guess most of what's missing is related to the Mandalorians themselves. Pretty much everything else from the Outer Rim setting is covered in Edge of the Empire books.
The Edge of the Empire takes place during the galactic civil war, the Mandalorian takes place in the aftermath of the battle of Endor and the Empire's partial collapse. That time period in SW is ripe for expansion. Given that there hasn't been much* produced during the post-Empire era, it makes sense that they wouldn't have been able to produce a sourcebook full of information that just wasn't there yet.

*To my knowledge, anyway. I admittedly dropped my lifelong SW obsession a few years ago because I couldn't keep up with the deluge of content anymore. Comics, novels, games, TV series- it started to feel like a full-time job just to try to keep up.

kronovan

Adventurer
I have a novel idea/suggestion for Asmodee, why not properly support the Arkham Horror board game instead. Since they released Arkham Horror 3rd edition in 2018, they haven't republished any of better expanions like Dunwich, Innsmouth, Kingsport or Miskatonic. Those are all long out of print and the preowns scarce. They now really only support the card game, which they know they can milk for all it's worth due to lower production costs.

I'm not impressed at how Asmodee has handled this franchise and aren't interested in any TTRPG one of their subsidiaries cares to publish. I'd have too many concerns about how well they'd fund it a few years down the road. I'm also very content with CoC 7 for anything with an Arkham backdrop that I'd want to run or homebrew.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads