Board Game Arkham Horror Getting an RPG from Edge Studio

The boxed starter set will debut at Gen Con with a simultaneous worldwide release

Asmodee and Edge Studio announced the upcoming release of Arkham Horror: The Roleplaying Game. The game will launch as a boxed starter set available at Gen Con 2024 with a worldwide release coming on August 2.

arkham-horror-the-rpg-e1709834265744.jpg

The game will use the Dynamic Pool System (DPS), a d6 dice pool system with mechanics that “are easy to learn but contain strategic depths that are sure to entertain even expert TTRPG players”. The initial adventure, Hungering Abyss, will be divided into 10 scenes each playable in an hour or more.

The boxed set will include a 48-page adventure book, a Game Master’s reference board, 5 character portfolios, 24 six-sided dice (12 black and 12 green), 3 double-sided poster maps, 16 NPC profile cards, 21 item and spell cards, 3 punchboards of tokens and puzzles, and “several handouts”. All hobby stores that are part of Asmodee’s Hobby Next Program will have an additional set of dice as a bonus.

The original board game from Fantasy Flight Games originally came out in 2005. Players choose their investigator and explore the titular city of Arkham in the 1920s attempting to arm themselves with the items, skills, and spells they need to close the gateways spread across the city before the Ancient One arises. A living card game was also released in 2016.

Arkham Horror: The Roleplaying Game Starter Set will be available at Gen Con 2024 and in stores in the USA, Canada, UK, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, and “some other European countries” on August 2, 2024, with a retail price of $34.99.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

TwiceBorn2

Adventurer
I would like to be excited about this, but Edge have a difficult time as it is getting the games they presently have in their portfolio to market (much less successfully marketing them) -- see, most egregiously, Midnight 5E, Genesys and Star Wars -- and their level of communication with fans has left much to be desired. The design, content, and proofreading in Midnight were disappointing, to say the least, and they haven't even gotten around to releasing the "updated" version of the Crown of Shadows adventure that was supposedly "releasing soon" when the core book was released in the US in May 2022. The Midnight products still haven't hit the shelves in Canada, and I'm starting to doubt they ever will (even though they now at least have a listing on the Lion Rampant distributor website).

I can't see them successfully juggling yet another new product line -- they just don't seem to have the resources or manpower to do that while also reprinting existing and in-demand product lines, as well as handling French and other translations of an astonishingly broad range of IPs.
Shuffling RPGs from FFG to Edge was one of the worst decisions Asmodee ever made, IMO.

TheBanjoNerd

Gelatinous Dungeon Master
Shuffling RPGs from FFG to Edge was one of the worst decisions Asmodee ever made, IMO.
To that end, I was a big fan of the Star Wars system FFG produced and one of the great tragedies of the FFG Star Wars RPG is that we never got sourcebooks for the sequel trilogy or any of the Disney+ series. Given how popular the Mandalorian was at it's premier, I thought for sure a tie-in product would have been forthcoming, but when nothing was announced was when I knew the game was doomed.

To that end, I was a big fan of the Star Wars system FFG produced and one of the great tragedies of the FFG Star Wars RPG is that we never got sourcebooks for the sequel trilogy or any of the Disney+ series. Given how popular the Mandalorian was at it's premier, I thought for sure a tie-in product would have been forthcoming, but when nothing was announced was when I knew the game was doomed.
Such is the fate of all Star Wars games, or really, all license based games.

Von Ether

Legend
I can't see them successfully juggling yet another new product line -- they just don't seem to have the resources or manpower to do that while also reprinting existing and in-demand product lines, as well as handling French and other translations of an astonishingly broad range of IPs.
Agreed. It's also highly likely Asmodee made the move to save money as it seems ttrpg art is subsided over there, so not exactly a mindset that's willing to spend more to support a studio with more people or freelancer budget.

I admit I am purely speculating but it feels like Asmodee is either cutting to the bone to justify the small profit margin (and creating a self-fulling prophecy) or setting Edge up to fail and then blame the "market" when they shut down the studio.

Last edited:

QFT.

If you ever find an RPG you like based on a related media IP property, get as much of it as you can, while you can, because it is absolutely guaranteed at some point that the licensee will lose their license and the product will disappear forever.
What hurts is how much Star Wars is both a great and terrible IP for a game license. There is a ton of lore that can be tapped for dozens of possible books, but it can feel too big.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads