informal poll - families

der_kluge

Adventurer
My wife and I have this debate occasionally. She's says my family is "unique" and I tell her that hers is.

When I moved out after college, I bought my Aunt's old furniture. I think I paid $500 for the lot of it, and it included a chair, a couch, a dining room table, a leather reclining office chair, even a rudimentary drafting table, and some rather cheap metal end tables and coffee tables.

My wife told me I was crazy - "family members don't sell stuff to each other, they give it to you." she says. In her family, if it was her aunt, her aunt would have said, "I've got this furniture, I want you to have it."

My brother-in-law offered to sell me a microwave for $45 since he doesn't need it, and knows that I will when I get my apartment until I can get my wife moved to Virginia in a month. My wife balked, of course. I didn't offer to buy it from. I'll let him try to find room for it in his apartment, and when he decides he doesn't need two (he's moving back from an apartment he telecommutes from in Norfolk) he'll offer to give it to me, or at least just let me use it for a month until I get my own.

But, I'm curious - in your family, is it typical to offer to sell you things, or is it more typical to offer to just give you things?

I've never had to buy anything off of family members before, but it wouldn't shock me to find out someone else did. Usually the stuff I've "inherited" have been items that were cluttering up someone's house and they've been happy to get rid of them.

I might add though that I personally would never charge a family member for stuff I genuinely didn't need or wanted to get rid of. If I really wanted to make a buck I'd put it in the local Penny Saver or have a garage sale.

As for the microwave, don't bother. You can get a new one for not much more than that, with the luxury of being able to return it if something goes wrong.

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
Tarrasque Wrangler said:
Usually the stuff I've "inherited" have been items that were cluttering up someone's house and they've been happy to get rid of them.

ditto.

but i'm not adverse to buying from family. it just hasn't come up.

normally i'm giving away furniture and odds and ends like plates/dishes/cups/etc... to my nieces and nephew.

Crothian

First Post
All families are unique

But my family would more then likely give me the furniture as a birthday or christmas gift instead of selling it me.

MrFilthyIke

First Post
My family depends on which "side" you are talking about. One side is very giving and would get anything to help out others, while the other side of the family is very much a "fend for yourself" kind of family. Neither is bad, but both are hard to understand without picking a side. I'm in a confused middle area. :\

Mercule

Adventurer
We get stuff on extended loan. Even after 10 years, heaven help you if get rid of a urine-stained throw pillow without first carting it back to the previous owner. Even if you've gotten the verbal okay to ditch it.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
In my family it has been some of both. If the things are fairly new and in really good condition, then money may be exchanged - usually a great discount. Older stuff if given away. The other factor is the relative financial soundess of the two parties. If the giver is financially sound and the taker isn't - it's free. If the giver is pretty hard up for cash and the taker is doing OK, then money will probably be exchanged, but still a good deal.

Treebore

First Post
My side of the family is the "you want it, you buy it, cheaply." My dad is the only exception to this. He will give my brothers and I some stuff free, some stuff practically free, rarely for more than $5.00, unless it is a car. Then he will sell it for about 70% of what he knows he could get by selling it privately if one of us wants it.

My wifes family is very mercenary, it goes for about 50% retail, even if they bought it at a yard sale, Goodwill, or 70% off sale, for far less than they want from us. So we don't buy anything from them.

Cannibal_Kender

First Post
My grandmother gave me her 10 year old car for free ( I got 6 years out of that k-car before it visited the eternal junkyard in the sky).

My grandparents sold our family the 11 acre farm we live on for $1.

So I guess we're in the free or very frickin cheap camp.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases