informal poll - families

LightPhoenix

First Post
Depends on what it is. Mostly we give for free, but something that's worth a lot would probably involve some sort of compensation, either in the form of money or other furniture. Of course, since my family likes to grab stuff off the road and loves the Salvation Army (which actually prices a lot of stuff pretty high), we don't have a lot of stuff that's worth a lot.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
My family operates mostly on the principle 'only love is free'. Though we do give each other discounts on stuff, and exchange stuff for other stuff. The exception would be if a family member was going through hard times and really needed help (but then they would have to be really hard times for that member to even admit that he needed the help). The other exception would be grandparents granting funds to newborn family members (but that has little to do with stuff).

Algolei

Explorer
Mercule said:
We get stuff on extended loan. Even after 10 years, heaven help you if get rid of a urine-stained throw pillow without first carting it back to the previous owner. Even if you've gotten the verbal okay to ditch it.
Same here.

There are times when something is given or sold, but it's always a big deal leaving both sides feeling weird. I guess that's the only way we can remember it's theirs now and not ours anymore.

Krieg

First Post
It really depends on the item and the situation.

I've been given furniture & other household items gratis. Converseley I have also purchased a truck from my dad at the trade-in price, which I recently sold to another family member for a bit less than I would have gotten as a tax write off for donating it to charity .

I recently sold my father's wife a laptop but previously upgraded her desktop with RAM, larger hard drive and a bigger hard drive for free.

Torm

Explorer
Thornir Alekeg said:
The other factor is the relative financial soundess of the two parties. If the giver is financially sound and the taker isn't - it's free. If the giver is pretty hard up for cash and the taker is doing OK, then money will probably be exchanged, but still a good deal.
This is usually the way it goes on my dad's side of my family, too. On my mom's side, OTOH, well - her mom died when she was 8, and her dad when she was 17. The rest of the family made her BUY HER OWN STUFF - clothes right down to her underwear, everything - from the estate.

I don't have anything to do with that side of the family, needless to say.

Remove ads