Homework Help! Can't find the proper resources about India!

Verequus

First Post
For my English homework, I have to solve the following task:

Location of production facilities

"One of the consequences of globalization is that companies can be very flexible in their choice of location for new production facilities.

List the advantages and disadvantages (as far as you know or imagine them) of the following as locations for new industrial development.

Look at these points from the perspective of both the companies and the people who work for them."

I have chosen India, and I tried to find useful resources for the following items:

• salaries / non-wage labour costs
  • government support
  • infrastructure
  • taxes
  • political situation

I've used google, but my google-fu is weak - I don't find the proper texts. So links (or listing the answers ;) ) and maybe missed points are very appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Verequus

First Post
I hadn't time to go to a library before the weekend, next to the thought, that there could be something in the net. But I'll check it out, if no one else can post something.

talinthas

First Post
i'm not trying to be smarmy about it, sorry. its just that i've done a report on this before, and the general net doesnt have what you need. What you need is access to the online archives of The Economist and other more research oriented journals, and you can't get that without being at a public or university library.

ajanders

Explorer
talinthas said:
i'm not trying to be smarmy about it, sorry. its just that i've done a report on this before, and the general net doesnt have what you need. What you need is access to the online archives of The Economist and other more research oriented journals, and you can't get that without being at a public or university library.

Well, that depends on what you think you need and how much detail is required.
The CIA World Factbook will give you the 50K foot elevation view, complete with transnational disputes, physical and data infrastructures, and a rough view of the economics of the area. From there, you'll probably have to dive into the websites of the various branches of the Indian government, Secretary of Commerce, and State department information.
The State Department will be particularly helpful with some things.
And read an Indian paper or two...most of them have English translations.
Yes, you need to buff your google-fu...or your paper has some really stringent requirements you've not mentioned here.
You may not get everything, but you can get quite a bit...up to and including, frankly, The Economist.

Verequus

First Post
This homework shouldn't go really in depth - a search like ajanders mentioned is way beyound the scope. One or two sentences for every point should be sufficient - because of this I don't have any idea how to narrow down the search. The text, I entered in my first post, is exactly everything, I have. It is ironic, that this theoretically easy task is such a pain in the ass...

Remove ads