[Story Hour Sampler] Post Your Favorite Story Hour Installment

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
So, I was thinking it'd be cool to have a sampler thread, where people can post a sample installment from their story hour in one place where folks can "taste-test" various story hours and see what they are like.

So here are the guidelines:

1) Choose your favorite installment from your story hour (not session or snippet, but you favorite complete post to your story hour - this will also give people a sense of how long your installment usually are).

2) Post it with a very brief explanation of why it is your favorite and any brief exposition required for it to make sense (keep this very short - there is no way to avoid a certain amount of confusion, and more than a line or three of exposition may cause eyes to glaze over).

3) Only post one installment per story hour/campaign, please - as to not crowd the thread with many posts from the same person. If you have more than one distinct story hour (not just more than one thread for the same story hour) then feel free to post one from each - but try to space them out so they are among others, instead of a block of posts all from the same person.

4) If a story hour reader wants to post a personal favorite of an installment please try to get the permission of the author in question, as he or she may have her own in mind to post (Some authors may be to busy to post something here, but may not be against someone else choosing and posting something). If you are a reader and not the author, please identify yourself as such.

5) Post a link to your story hour.

6) Comments and questions are welcome. . .

---------------------------------------------

Here are the excerpts we have already: (I will be updating this list as more are posted)

Star Wars: Heroes of Another Kind
Chapter 16: Just When You Thought It Couldn't Get Any Stranger...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
By: Ankh-Morpork Guard

Out of the Frying Pan / The Fearless Manticore Killers & The Necropolis of Doom
Session #48 – Escape From the Necropolis of Doom
---------------------------------------------------
By: Nemmerle

Excerpt From. . . Don't laugh..... it's coming.
---------------------------------------------------------
By: Hairy Minotaur

Excerpt From. . . Of Gods and Devils
-----------------------------------------------
By: Drioid101

Of Sound Mind the Halfling Way
Patronage
----------------------------------------
By: the Jester

Excerpt from. . . Barsoom Tales
-------------------------------------------
By: Barsoomcore

Excerpt from. . . Wild Stewardess Action
-------------------------------------------
By: Barsoomcore

The Realms of Enlightenment: The Grey Companions
[Realms #232] Gate Crashing
------------------------------------------
By: Jon Potter

Prison of the Firebringer
Chapter 12
By: ltclnlbrain

Shackled City Story Hour
Cauldron
By: Berandor

Revenge, Renewal and the Promise of a New Year
Chapter Five, “The Comstock House Ambush”, January 2nd , 1882, 7:30 A.M.
By: Silver Moon

DARK•HERITAGE
Module I, Part I: "Blasphemous Rumours"
--------------------------------------------------------------------
By: Joshua Dyal

Excerpt From . . .Orcs on the Rampage - Tales from the Broken Lands
----------------------------------------------------------------
By: Graywolf-ELM

Excerpt From . . . We were like gods once
By: ledded

Excerpt From . . . Avarimorion Maranwen'tyene
By: Angcuru

(Forgotten Realms) Rise of the Snakemen
Part Seven
By: Brakkart

Excerpt From . . . OD&D Campaign
By: howandwhy99

The Golden Key: From the Casebook of Nigel Spenser/b]
the third installment
By: Kid Charlemagne

Last edited:

Neat idea. :)

Tough pick between two of my favorite posts(they're actually one after the other) but I'll go with the second. So...just to preface it, this is a Star Wars story hour set roughly 10 years after the Battle of Endor. This is from fairly early on in the game, right after a sparring match between the two characters(Akan Tavos, a self-taught Jedi working for with a mercenary group and Shadow, an assassin of a strange feline species). The match ended up getting dangerous, ending in the apparent death of Akan...

Star Wars: Heroes of Another Kind
Chapter 16: Just When You Thought It Couldn't Get Any Stranger...

Ow. Ow said it all for Akan. Ow pretty much described the extent of his existence for the last...the last long time. How long? Wait...the last moment he remembered was Shadow’s claws digging into his neck, then nothing. Then...this. But ow. Why ow? Why anything? That was...death wasn’t it? One shouldn’t feel anything after that. Or...should they? Honestly, how would you know? Sure, there were stories of Force spirits, but Akan doubted they existed in a state of ‘ow’. So again, the question of why ‘ow’ returned to his...mind? Thoughts. Yes, thoughts.

[You’re going to have to move or we’ll be stuck like this...] a voice said. It was in his mind....he’d heard a voice similar to that before, only not in his mind. Thoughts. Whatever. [Its your mind, you are alive you know.] the voice interrupted his thoughts again. So he was alive again, and now completely crazy. Hearing voices. Wonderful. But...Akan could feel other voices. Distant and strange, like thoughts that weren’t his own. He latched onto one for a moment and got an image.

The training room. Blood was still on the floor and wall in places, but the focus was on...a body, face first on the floor.. Off to the side of the body was a pile of clothes. His clothes. Wait...that body...it looked like Shadow’s yet...male looking. And the hair. And...and...the arm moved. Akan could have sworn he did that. Then the image faded and he was left in the nothing of wondering what the Sith was going on.

[I’ll explain after we’re completely separated] the voice said again. That voice. He pinned it. Shadow’s. But why in his mind? Too many why’s. [Our tails are still connected...I can’t do that part on my own.]

Huh...? He felt something in his mind....Shadow. She was searching something out. She found it, and he felt a strange energy growing from where there had been nothing. He could...feel his body again. But it was different. Stronger. Bigger, too. And something...his thoughts trailed down, and he found a series of muscles and bones that had never been there before. That...shouldn’t be there. He moved them.

[Hey! Stop playing with the our tails and move forward!] Akan hadn’t realized he’d been moving that muscle for a few...minutes. It was strangely entertaining. That was awkward. He seemed like he was getting distracted much more easily. Wait. Focus. Task at hand. Tail. Right. But why ‘our tails’? Wait...stuck. He let his min travel farther down, and it all got even more fuzzy. Stuck! Tails were...fused? Connected? Stuck! Why? Not another why...FOCUS! Move. Alright. Forward.

He did. Carefully and with eyes still closed. One arm moved up, and dragged him across the floor while the other did the same. As he did this, he could hear...feel, just generally know that Shadow was doing the same thing in the other direction. Then, it was gone. Well, not completely, but the part of him that somehow understood what was going on figured that the ‘stuck’ problem was solved. He stopped moving. Feeling was ‘returning’ in a way to his entire body, and he was noticing many differences that he’d last checked. Mostly, this was along the lines of muscles that were never there before.

He heard movement and shifted his ear towards it. What? Shifted his ear? How did he...? Hmm...there was another new muscle. And the ears were...different. He could hear better, and was surprised at how much louder the ship was. He twisted the ear the other direction to see if it worked. It did. Another sound behind him, and Akan quickly moved his ear to listen. Shadow. How did he know? He could feel her thoughts, and knew she was moving.

[You’ll get used to the link...can you say anything?] Akan heard Shadow ask him as she stopped moving. Say anything...?

[How’m I s’posed to talk? Everythings all...all...] suddenly Akan realized that was his ‘voice’. He’d just thought about it...at her. In a way. Not in any way that much different from the Force, but...he could tell he wasn’t using that for this communication. He just thought at her.

Akan then felt a hand on his shoulder, then heard Shadow’s actual voice, “It’ll probably be very...um...confusing for a while. Can you open your eyes at all or speak?”

Akan did manage to turn his head so his nose wasn’t crushed on the floor. Or at least, he was pretty sure that was what he’d done. But eyes opening was somehow very hard to do. As was working the mouth at all. [What...happened?]

“Well,” Shadow’s hand left his shoulder, and Akan could feel her thoughts race through how to explain things. She tried sending images, but it did nothing but confuse him more. Realizing this, she sighed and tried explaining it as best she could in words, “You um...I...got a little a carried away. You kind of...well...”

[You killed me?!] Akan’s mind had caught on to that much, and though it had made sense considering, it was still shocking and insane in more than one way.

“No! Yes...well...” her voice became accusing, “You told me to! Argh...look, that’s not the point. Just listen because this is um...important. Before you were completely...gone, I sort of made you a new...well...you.”

Again, this was confirming what he was slowly figuring out on his own(with the help of her thoughts), but hearing it was just more to add on to the current feeling of chaos. [How in the Force did you do that?!]

“Not in the Force...” Shadow trailed off, obviously not catching the expression and taking it literally, “Listen it’s a technique of my...our species.”

[Our species?!] alright, now it was going to far.

He felt a strange emotion from Shadow then. Almost like she was hiding behind a wall and talking quietly around it with large amounts of things in the way to deflect any attacks that were sure to come, “Um...yes? We’re the um...same now. I didn’t...I mean, it was the only way! And...and I didn’t mean for things to get so crazy and I...it was the only way...”

There was a silence. Obviously, she expected him to murder her at this point. Then, he broke the silence. He had spent the time doing a mix of thinking and figuring out how to get his mouth to work. Akan managed it, and his voice even sounded different. This was because he was talking through sharper, slightly longer teeth, “...its okay...”

That got a surprised reaction out of her. Akan could feel Shadow’s mind racing trying to figure out what to do. She’d expected a much harsher reaction. Carefully, she said, “Um...you need to know. We’re essentially the uh...same person now.”

[Its why we can...talk like this] she continued in his mind, which surprised him but at the same time was somehow normal already. [The big thing is that um...well, we’ll live as long as each other, really.] Shadow suddenly noticed that made little sense, and tried again. [What I mean is that...well, when one of us dies the other will too...so we’re kind of stuck in that. But it was the only way...]

Taking this all in, Akan finally managed to get an eye open. He was, in fact, face first on the floor. Shadow was sitting crossed legged on a brown pile of what were most likely his clothes. She was wearing her usual skin-tight suit, but it was smaller than usual. No longer did it cover her entire body(minus feet, hands, and head), but started just above her knees and ended a little below her neck with short ‘sleeves’ on her arms. It also looked...different in a way. Less colour to it.

“My morphsuit was...strained,” she trailed off and he watched her reach over to him. She put her hand on his back, but it felt different, “It split itself, so you have one too. Its sometimes hard to tell you’re wearing it...but it won’t hurt you. Both of them will grow back in time, but they’ll be...small for a while,” she caught onto another thought of his, “Yes, they’re alive. Not intelligent, but alive. Now, its really designed to give you something to wear when you morph....but you should wear it all the time because of the cold.”

Morph? Wait...she meant. But he didn’t know how. Maybe it was simple? No...not right now. Focus. Some things still confused him. [Can you...help me up?]

Shadow nodded and as Akan strained muscles that had never been used before(which was odd in its own right), she helped to pull him to his feet. He nearly fell onto her, but Shadow held him up as he got used to the balance difference.

“Tail for balance...” she said quietly, still sounding slightly worried like she expected him to kill her at any moment.

He managed a nod, but wasn’t sure how to use said tail for said balance. So he just let things happened. In a few minutes, he’d worked it out, and was able to stand up, mostly, straight. There was a large mirror on the far side of the training room, which was a remnant of the old quarters that had never been removed. Shadow caught onto his thoughts, and helped him to walk over to it.

When he got to it, his mind finished computing everything and put the last pieces together. There stood Shadow, looking the same as usual. Not too tall, shoulder length white hair with a black stripe down the center, two feline ears and purple eyes with feline pupils, long tail, and her smaller morphsuit. But next to her, was what Akan knew to be himself but still wasn’t sure of.

He was about the same height as before, but it was obvious he had newer muscles in most places. Of course, the skin tight morphsuit probably helped that some, but it would have been noticeable either way. His hair was about the same length as before, scruffy as usual, but...white like Shadow’s. Except no black stripe. Well, there was a stripe but it was a metallic blue colour. He decided not to ask where that came from. He realized the reason his hair looked so much scruffier was the fact that he no longer had human ears to keep it back more. His ears were now up higher on his head, and feline like Shadow’s. His eyes, too had the same slit...but they were the same blue colour as before. More of an ice blue than the colour of his stripe. His skin was darker, like hers was. In fact, exactly the same colour...almost no surprise. He opened his mouth to confirm that his teeth were in fact much sharper, then looked down. Flicked that muscle that had never been there...a tail flicked, with the same white/blue markings as his hair. Okay...um...

[Now what...?] he asked, not sure if his voice would have managed the confusion that was finally settling.

Shadow looked at him in the mirror, then up at him. She had an arm holding him up still, and it was strange how she was so much...different than before. She managed a shrug, then a grin appeared on her face. Not the dangerous grin from before, but a more friendly one. It almost looked out of place, “Your guess is as good as mine...but um, probably should tell Ansion. And well..welcome back as an Alraxian.”

Alraxian. So now he knew the species name. From Raan the young pilot...to Akan the mercenary Jedi...to...an Alraxian. No knew name. He’d died enough. Reborn was an understatement. A grin started growing on his face. Never had he ever needed to ask for an interesting life. Now, he got to live a second interesting one.

((Link to Story Hour in sig))

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Here is my favorite installment. Typically my posts are about 2/3 of this one, but when I posted this I wanted to put a whole session as one installment because of the nature of events - where the escape from a subterreanean complex took one entire session all of which was spent in the same basic initiative order.

I wasn't sure if I should keep the footnotes in this version, but since it is how I usually post my installments I decided to keep them (they can be safely ignored).

At the end of the session before this Ratchis had decapitated and destroyed the vampire whose imprisonment and suffering were mystically keeping the decrepit complex together.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Session #48 – Escape From the Necropolis of Doom

“You are truly blessed by your gods!” Kazrack said in awe of Ratchis’ mighty blow, but there was no time for congratulations. The walls rumbled and shook again, and the cracks spidered everywhere. This place was going to collapse. The Fearless Manticore Killers and the dwarven company knew they had a long climb out before escaping. (1)

“We need to make for the main shaft,” Captain Adalar yelled over the increasingly loud rumbling.

Derek, however, went in the opposite direction, hoping to search for something in the sarcophagus that might stop the collapse of the structure. Martin handed him a torch.

“Blodnath! Baervard! Jeremy! Hurry ahead and get to the ropes and go up as quickly as you can,” Ratchis ordered. “We’re going need you to pull up those who are bad climbers.”

And as if to emphasize he meant for them to do what he said immediately, he spoke a quick word to his goddess and patted Jeremy’s shoulder. Suddenly, the Neergaardian’s cloak gave off an aura of bright light.

Blodnath had already snaked past everyone and was making his escape. He pause just before a large square stone that was the floor where the two narrow halls joined.

“This floor is gonna go soon,” he pointed at the clouds of dust bursting up from around the seams of the stone and then took off up the stairs. There was a deep yawning sound punctuated by crashed from deep beneath them. Baervard and Jeremy were right behind him, but the latter turned back, for everyone else seemed to be reacting too slowly for his tastes.

“Come on!” he said with some panic in his voice.

Kazrack stepped over and began to run his hands through the dust and rags inside the sarcophagus. With Derek and Martin the Green. The moved frantically and strained to see any detail about the sarcophagus that might help them in this predicament. But there was only one very clear thing about it. The inside was lined with fist-sized rubies that gleamed in the torchlight.

Ratchis cast his miracle of light once again, this time placing it on Beorth’s helmet. A second later it rang out, as a stone fell from above sending the paladin reeling towards the exit. He fell and seemed stunned. He held his head and tried to straighten his helmet. Jolnar, Golnar and Tolnar ran into the room, were yelled at by Adalar and then went back to follow Baervard and Jeremy up and out of the narrow corridors that led into this place. Helrahd stepped over to help Beorth to his feet.

“Gods!” said Kirla. She had made her way over to the sarcophagus just as Derek fled for the door giving up his search and pushing Martin in front of him. She reached down and place her calloused palm on one of the rubies and tried to turn it loose some.

Belear was moving to the exit past Ratchis, who stood his ground waiting to make sure everyone was at least heading out before sprinting for the exit itself. Kazack moved to the door, while admonishing Kirla.

“Leave the gems,” he said. “We have to get out of here!”

Kirla just screwed her face up with more determination and pulled a small chisel from her belt and went to work on it with that. To her trained eyes, she could tell this stone was loose and worth a great deal.

Ratchis looked to Kazrack and then to Helrahd who was point Beorth in the right direction, and then back to Kirla. He then turned and followed Beorth up the narrow steps.

Behind him, the stone statue in the corner fell over, widening the crack beneath it, and partially blocking the way out of the sarcophagus room for Helrahd, Kirla and Kazrack.

The half-orc came up to the main chamber above, just in time to see the floor give way beneath Martin and the watch-mage tumble into the darkness of the smaller room below.

“Oh!” cried the watch-mage.

“Martin! Come to me! We’ll get up the pillars,” Jeremy cried out in the dark, hearing his companion fall. He had already fallen into the lower level with Baervard, who was fending off the zombies to make it to a pillar of his own. Martin crawled behind Jeremy and stood, making his way over the bodies of countless zombies. More were falling from the dirt ceiling above them, and still others were still trying to dig their way out of the collapsing side tunnels. Jeremy kept an area around him clear with a wide arc of his blades.

Above, Ratchis leapt over the hole, but barely made it. Flailing his arms to regain his balance he hustled towards the gate-like door to the chamber that led to the shaft to the surface, counting on Jeremy and the others to make sure Martin made it out.

------------------------

“Damn it, woman!” Karack reached for Kirla’s wrist. “Leave the stone be! We know not its purpose!”

Behind them Belear squeezed past the fallen statue, stepping widely over the crack, as Helrahd held levered the statue a bit with one of his axes. He began to make his way up the narrow and rapidly cracking steps to the upper chamber.

“It is going to take time for you to squeeze past that statue. I’ll be right behind you!” Kirla said, jerking her hand away and continuing to work on the gem. It was turning much more freely now.

“Just leave it girl!” Kirla’s older brother, admonished. Kazrack had never heard real concern in the grizzled dwarf’s voice before.

Captain Adalar had made it across the upper chamber, but seeing that all but Tolnar were having trouble making it across, he ran back down the steps, grabbing pointing to Blodnath.

“Get a rope around a pillar,” he commanded. “We need to get those people up from down there!” However, the floor beneath him gave as he stepped back into the large chamber and soon he and Tolnar were down there with Jeremy, Blodnath and Martin.

“No!” Ratchis, slapped his forehead in shock.

“Lentus!” Martin cried, and slowed a group of zombies, keeping them from mobbing the stunned dwarves that had just fallen. Jeremy made his way over there, cutting a swath in the undead limbs, and a moment later Blodnath’s rope came down.

“Martin! Up the rope!” the Neergaardian cried. Martin hurried over, lighting a torch as he went.

“Thomas?” the Watch-mage reached out with his thoughts to his frightened familiar, which was hidden in the hood of his cloak.

“Yes?”

“If I can’t make it out, I want you to run.”

“I’m not leaving you,” the squirrel replied adamantly. “At least not yet.”

The watch-mage took a moment to scratch his familiar lovingly behind the ear.

Derek was beside Blodnath, and looking down at the horror beneath.

“You can make your way up this way,” he instructed. “There are some beams to help support you. I’ll hold the rope.”

“I don’t like zombies,” Bearvard said, pushing past Martin and grabbing the rope. Martin was agog. The dwarf had never spoken a word that the watch-mage had ever heard the whole time he had been with the group. Now, he was climbing up the rope.

--------------------------

“I got it!” The fist-sized ruby popped into Kirla’s hand, and the room shook, more. Kazrack barely stepped out of the way of a piece of ceiling. And despite this, Kirla paused to admire the gem and smile broadly. “Beautiful.”

“Put the stone back!” Kazrack commanded. “We don’t know why it was there in that formation.”

He snatched the stone from her hand.

“You have no right to take that from me!” Kirla replied, with a look of indignation.

“I will be happy to discuss propriety when I don’t have stones falling down around my ears! Now go!”

“You should not grab things out of my sister’s hands like that!” Helrahd said angrily, and snatched the gem out of Kazrack’s hand and handed it back to Kirla in one smooth motion. “Now come on!”

Kazrack’s eyes opened wide with incredulity. “You are being foolish, girl!” He followed the siblings to the partially blocked exit to the room. Helrahd squeezed through first.

“Go!” Kazrack motioned to Kirla to follow her brother, but she shook her head stubbornly.

“You go,” she replied.

The whole place shook again, but this time with a deeper rumble and the demoness statue fell over onto the stone sarcophagus, shattering it. (2)

Kazrack sighed and squeezed under the statue, but the wall on his right gave way some and he had to thrust himself forward to avoid being crushed. A huge section of the wall fell off and the statue fell through the floor, revealing a deep chasm below. A great cloud of dust rose, and Kirla stepped backm placing an arm before her face. When the dust cleared, she could see Kazrack struggling to hold on to the edge of the new chasm. Helrahd had already made it around the corner to the stairs, so without help Kazrack was barely able to pull himself up.

He turned to Kirla. The statue no longer blocked the way, but the chasm was over five feet wide.

“You’ll have to jump,” he called to the dwarven woman. “Don’t worry. I’ll catch you.”

Kirla took a few more steps back and tucked the large ruby in her cloak pocket. She screwed up her face with determination and began to run at the gap.

Helrahd came back around the corner, “Where’s Kirla?”

“Stay back from the edge,” Kazrack said, looking over his shoulder at the dwarven scout. “The floor may be weakening.”

Kirla came hurtling over the gap and was just a few inches short. She went tumbling down the chasm. Kazrack turned back around, but too late to reach out for her.

“This is all your fault!” Her voice echoed up the shaft at Kazrack, and she pointed at him accusingly.

--------------------------------

Ratchis started tying people’s packs to the bottom of one of the ropes. He had made it all the way across the room, and was determined to get up to the surface to be able to pull up others with his divinely-enhanced orcish strength.

Blodnath left his rope to Derek and made his way to the bottom of the shaft and began to climb up one of the ropes, hand over hand.

Jolnar and Golnar moved to flank Derek and look down the hole.

“What is going on?” Jolnar asked.

“Are they okay down there?” Golnar asked.

Beorth came around the other side of the hole as Bearvard pulled himself out, grabbing onto Golnar and Jolnar’s outstretched arms.

Below, even more zombies fell out of the chunks of collapsing ceiling.

“Anubis! These lost souls wander aimlessly and seek the life force of the living. Guide them away from my companions!” The paladin aimed the divine energy down the hole, but at the moment he chose to lean over the hole the whole place shook, roaring as if trembling with anger. He tumbled down to join his friends, landing with a bone-jarring ‘oof!’

“Beorth! Get up!” Jeremy yelled, hacking into yet another zombie. Captain Adalar finally shook off his own dizziness from his fall and hacked an approaching zombie with his great axe.

“Has everyone escaped?” Belear asked, finally getting up the steps to the main chamber. He looked around and took in the scene, answering his own question. He gave a silent prayer to Natan-Ahb, touching his pouch of runestones about his neck. (3)

“Get away from the edge!” Derek told Golnar, Tolnar and Baervard. “The whole floor is going to go soon.”

As Ratchis grabbed the rope to begin his ascent, he heard a crack and a cry above him. He looked up just in time to see Blodnoth come hurtling down atop him with a huge chunk of a fallen stone railing from one of the levels above. (4)

Martin grabbed the rope and Derek pulled him up.

“Beorth, you go after the dwarves,” Jeremy said to the paladin. “I’ll find another way up.” He hacked another zombie to pieces, ichor and blood dripping from his blonde locks.

Jolnar made his way up next, as Martin hurried to the shaft, and helped Ratchis to his feet. Blodnath shook off the fall and immediately began to climb again, even though blood flowed steadily from a gash in his forehead.

Bearvard grabbed the third rope in the shaft and began to climb, but the blood on his hands made gaining traction hard and he made little progress. Ratchis began his ascent, while Martin held the rope for Baervard and gave him a boost on his shoulders.

However, at that moment there was another rumble and another piece of stone, nearly a foot in diameter tumbled down the shaft. Ratchis and Blodnath swung out the way, and Baervard leapt off the rope and off Martin’s shoulders, letting the mage take the full brunt of the blow in the face.

Martin the Green fell to the floor bleeding. Baervard stepped around him and began to attempt his climb again, not saying a word.

----------------------------------

“What did you do?!?” Helrahd cried to Kazrack, hurrying to look over the edge. Fortunately, Kirla had landed only about twelve feet down on a rocky outcropping, but behind her the chasm was falling away and becoming deeper and wider. There was a shudder and the earth swallowed the entire statue, sarcophagus and raised dais. “We need a rope! Go get a rope!”

“Grab this!” Kazrack said, and thinking quickly he got down on his knees on the edge of the widening gap and pulled off his cloak and holding it down to the dwarven shield-maiden. Kirla got up, and rubbed her head, shaking it back and forth. She leapt up and grabbed the cloak, and Helrahd grabbed at Kazrack’s end to help pull her up.

However, there was another rumble, and Kirla swung back and forth, and as the cloak ripped she tumbled back. Once again she landed on the rocky ledge, but it slid down another ten feet away.

“Grab my ankles!” Karack said to Helrahd, and the other dwarf complied. Kazrack cursed under his breath,. As he was lowered into the hole, for he could see that the cloak, now ripped would not quite reach.

“You are going o have to climb some!” He called down, but Kirla was already looking for a handhold, and she pulled herself up about four feet and grabbed the cloak again, this time more near the middle, and with more cloth.

Helrahd pulled up Kazrack, who pulled up Kirla, and they all lay there beside the gap for a moment trying to catch their breath.

Kazrack looked at Kirla, “Just as it incited Natan-Ahb to split the Dwon, it is fascination with shiny things that caused this, not I.” (5)

Kirla rolled her eyes and stood.

The three dwarves hurried up the stairs as the hole behind them cracked open even wider, and they could hear large stones tumbling down into the gaping maw, knocking away swathes of lower stones to create an increasingly yawning abyss.

Kazrack was the first to turn the corner and come to the top, “What’s going on? Where is everyone? Have we all made it out?” He turned to Derek who still held the rope, “What are you waiting for?”

------------------------------------

In the meantime, Ratchis had made it over thirty feet up the main shaft, only to have a huge chunk of stone balcony strike him in the shoulder as it tumbled down and send him hurtling down the rest of the way. As he lay at the bottom, stunned, Belear hurried over and cast a healing blessing on the half-orc, spitting to one side in disgust as he did so.

Below, Jeremy decided he could not wait down there any longer. Huge chunks of the dirt ceiling continued to fall, and with it came loose more zombies. And still, even more zombie were managing to force their way through the rubble strewn side tunnels into the increasingly cramped chamber.

“Quick, before more the ceiling goes and traps us all!” He leapt onto one of the pillars that stretched from above and down into the lower chamber and started to make his way up.

Beorth and Captain Adalar were still too busy fending off zombies, while Tolnar was amid the beams trying desperately to get up to Derek and his brothers.

Martin looked back and forth, not sure what to do. He grabbed for one of the ropes to begin to try to make his way up to the surface, but again the whole complex shook and he fell to his knees. Below Beorth and Adalar both fell, as did many of the zombies, and Tolnar had to stop climbing to merely hold on and keep from falling back down. Cracks began to spider across the main floor above and Derek gulped with fear and anticipation of the worst, and the rope still in his hands moved towards the broad steps leading to the shaft.

There was a deafening crack, and suddenly the whole center portion of the main room between the four pillars collapsed. A mountain of dirt and crack tiles fell into the lower room, Beorth scrambled against a wall avoiding the majority of the rubble, but Captain Adalar disappeared beneath it, and Tolnar fell amid the beams he had been climbing only a moment before atop the pile.

Over 60 feet above, Blodnath swung over to the stone railing of the highest level before the last part of the climb that led to the top of the stone obelisk above. Bracing himself there, he took a moment to rest.

Golnar and Jolnar had rolled out of the way of the collapsing floor, and Martin looked through the broad doorway in shock.

“The floor went ‘boom’,” chittered Thomas.

It was barely half a moment later that Kazrack came hurrying into the room. Helrahd and Kirla came in behind him and passed him and moved to the edge of what was now a huge hole. However, Helrahd misjudged, and stepped in a place where the floor was still in the process of cracking even further and with a flash of dust and mortar, he plummeted down as well.

“Helrahd!” cried Kirla.

Beorth began to frantically try to dig out Adalar, ignoring the zombies, most of which were either buried as well or awkwardly struggling to get back on their feet.

“Beorth, I’m coming back down to get you!” Jeremy called down into the hole. “Get your armor off. I’m gonna carry you out there if I have to!” And with that he grabbed hold of one of the pillar and began to shimmy back down.

Derek wrapped his end of the rope about one of the chains that held the counterweights for the door to the main shaft, and then started making his way out. Jeremy only went halfway down the pillar, seeing that Derek’s rope now secured, and waited there to give those who came up a final boost up.

“Arrrgh!” Blodnath’s blood-curdling screaming echoed over the incessant rumbling as he cam tumbling down the entire length of the shaft. He had lost his grip on the rope and landed, a bloody pulp, at the bottom of the shaft. He was unconscious and barely breathing. A shower of smaller stones, followed him, wounding him further, as well as Belear and Jolnar who tried shielding him with their own bodies. Martin pressed himself against he shaft wall and avoid the stones, and Ratchis swung out their way, cursing.

Captain Adalar burst out from under the ruble with a rasping gasp, blood flowing from several wounds on his body, and his armor dented and rented in many places.

“You are going first,” Beorth told him. Dazed, the dwarf did not argue, but in a moment he was grasping the rope and being pushed up from below, while Jeremy reached down from above.

Kazrack found his progress across the room blocked by the great hole, and running to leap across a narrower section, found himself tumbling down painfully.

“Kazrack!” Jeremy cried.

“I’m fine,” Kazrack said, getting to his feet. “Get Tolnar up that rope.”

The young dwarf began his ascent, while Adalar hurried the best he could up the steps to the main shaft, accompanied by Derek.

Kazrack turned to the paladin of Anubis, “Beorth, you are more important to the success of our mission than I am. You go after the dwarves!”

Beorth did not respond.

Way above, Ratchis finally made it to the surface. He squinted, as the sunlight painfully stabbed his yellow eyes. He looked around quickly, and noticed that not only the great block of stone was shaking, but the various pointed -pillars of stones that littered this dead land were tilting in the ashen earth, and shaking on occasion. Furrows were spidering out in all directions from the stone, and clouds of dust would burst up from the earth in places.

“Somebody grab my rope so I can pull them up!” Ratchis cried down with all his might, cupping his mouth with his hands. He prayed to Nephthys that someone heard him and then spitting on his hands grabbed the rope, waiting for the tell-tale tug that would let him know when to pull.

Helrahd made it back up to the collapsing upper room, by climbing another pillar, and grabbing Kirla’s hand.

Derek began climbing the rope that Blodnath had used to climb most of the way up.

“I don’t expect an argument from you, Beorth,” Kazrack added. “You are going next.”

There was another yawning rumble, and one of the pillar’s upper portions, cleaved straight off, bringing a huge chunk of ceiling with it and ripping right through the floor of the lower chamber, only a few feet away from where Beorth and Kazrack stood.

Kirla and Helrahd’s escape was even further blocked now, and Kirla swearing, ran at a place where the hole was narrowest, but as before, she did not make the jump.

“Kirlaaaaaaa!” Helrahd cried, as he watched his sister fall down into the abyss below. However, she was able to catch herself at the very lip of the lower hole, and keep herself from joining the rain of dirt, rock and zombies that was now disappearing into the impenetrable darkness of chasm.

Kazrack tuned and looked, but Kirla was far from his reach. Helrahd started to make his way down the partially broken pillar to reach his sister, but his weight was too much for it, and finally it creaked and groaned and tipped over, bringing another chunk of floor and ceiling with it. The top of it slammed into where Kirla held on for dear life and the brother and sister disappeared into the abyss below.

“Noooo!” cried Kazrack, and then without skipping a beat turned to Beorth. “You are next. Go!”

Beorth began to take off his splint mail, hurriedlym letting straps snap, and cutting others with a knife. “You go, Kazrack,” he said. “I will not make the climb with this on.”

Above Jeremy hefted Tolnar up, and the dwarf ran to Golnar who waited for him on the steps and the two of them ran to the main shaft.

“You should not have waited for me brother,” Tolnar panted.

By now, Baervard was being pulled up along with several packs, by Ratchis. He gripped the rope and sat with the packs beneath his rear like a seat, twisting around and around as he slowly made his way up.

Ratchis seeing who was on the rope, called down, “Baervard, when I get you up untie the pack immediately and throw it back down, I am going to start pulling up whoever is on the rope on the right!”

Martin helped Tolnar up onto another rope, and he began to try to climb it as well, but he was weak from his many falls and soon lost grip tumbling back down. He landed with a painful thud at his brothers’ feet. “I am not going to make it. Go on without me,” he croaked, and fell unconscious.

Below, the yawning chasm stretched even further. Kazrack glanced back at it nervously, and then up at Jeremy who had also stolen a glance at it, as he felt the column he was on begin to buckle.

“Hurry!” The Neergaardian called down to his companions. “Just take my hand. I’ll help you up!”

“Beorth, the likelihood of my delaying you is too great,” Kazrack tried explaining to Beorth as if the world were not collapsing around them. “You must go first. Lords and lady, please help this most dwarf-like of my friends inn his climb.” And with that the rune-thrower, cast the miracle of guidance on the paladin as he still worked on his armor.

“Kazrack, your pride will be the death of you,” Beorth said.

“Call it pride if you will, but better the death of me than the death of you,” Kazrack handed the rope to Beorth, who sighing began to climb.

Derek came tumbling back down the shaft, banging his head painfully against the wall. He had lost his grip, and tried to us his acrobatics to slow his fall.

He managed to land on his feet. “Ratchis is going to pull that other rope, I heard him telling Baervard. Someone grab it!”

Martin sighed and grabbed it, while Belear who had just finished staunching Blodnath’s wounds, healed Tolnar, who sputtering regained consciousness, though he spat blood.

Golnar began to climb the rope his brother fell from.

“I can take more than one on a rope!” Ratchis called down, as he pulled Baervard to the surface and grabbed the next rope. The taciturn dwarf began to untie the packs to throw his rope back down. No one could hear Ratchis’ cried over the distance and rumbling.

Beorth grabbed Jeremy’s hand and then climbed past him, reaching the tattered floor of the upper chamber, but unfortunately, he grabbed a splintering wooden beam for support and came tumbling back down, just inches from the what now seemed like a bottomless pit.

“Argh!” cried Jeremy, sweat dripped down his nose, and he looked nervously around. “Help him! Help him! Get him up!”

Kazrack lowered a hand to help up the clumsy paladin, “My desire to see you to safety has not been diminished by your difficulty. You go first.”

“My cowardice and my god’s displeasure have landed me here, Kazrack. You go first!’ Beorth replied standing.

“Will one of you come on! Stop fighting already! Make up your minds! Let’s go!” Jeremy was now scolding them like children.

Kazrack ignored the young warrior, who risked himself to aid them and continued to argue with Beorth. “If anyone has been abandoned. It is I! Now go!” And with that he sat on the shaking floor and folded his arms across his chest.

Beorth simply stood there not replying.

There was another crack, and Kazrack was forced to roll away from the edge of the hole to keep from going down with some stone. While Beorth clutched his head, as a remaining portion of the ceiling fell on him, drawing more blood.

“Please!” Jeremy begged. “It’s now or never! You are going to kill us all!”

“Beorth!! Go already!” Kazrack yelled. The earth shuddered as if to reinforce his command. “Do you realize what you are doing? Who is the proud one now?”

“I am headed to meet my maker,” Beorth replied calmly, and the laying a hand on his own chest said. “Anubis, give me bit of your strength that I might see the light of day again, or at the very least ensure my companions do.”

“Please?” Jeremy begged again, and he blindly sought purchase for his left foot on the pillar, for piece of it had fallen away. “I want to see my mother again!”

This seemed to stir Kazrack’s heart, and sighing he stood and grabbed the rope and started making his way up, as Beorth boosted him.

“Finally,” Jeremy said, grabbing on dwarf’s hand and helping him past him to what remained of the upper room.

The floor below Beorth shook again. A crack appeared right beneath his feet, so he did not wait for Kazrack to complete his climb, before beginning his own.

“Bes, stack the deck in my favor,” he prayed softly.

Jeremy could hear cries of pain and horror echoing from the main shaft, where progress up to the surface was progressing in fits and starts. A cloud of dust billowed out through the broad door, and one of the chains holding it open snapped, causing the metal door to slid down askew.

Much as Beorth did, Kazrack reached the crumbling floor and trusted it to hold too much weight at once. There was a snapping sound and back he fell into the lower level. Both Jeremy and Beorth reached out to grab him, but they could not. He slammed painfully on the floor and it cracked more beneath him.

Beorth paused, and appeared to be considering heading back down.

“Oh, no you don’t!” Jeremy said, and grabbing Beorth by the shoulder yanked him up. The paladin sighed resignedly and made it up to the broad stairs. He looked back at Jeremy. “Keep going! Get out!” Jeremy commanded, and the Beorth turned and hurried through the cloud to the main shaft.

Jeremy risked going a little further down the pillar and tired whipping the rope in Kazrack’s direction. The dwarf stood and leapt away from a piece of floor falling out from under him at the rope. He tried to pull himself hand over hand, but kept slipping. For a moment his fingers laced with Jeremy’s, but then slipped loose and he fell back to the unstable floor.

“Jeremy, my fate is in the hands of gods. Go!” Kazrack called up.

“No! Come on Kazrack, you have to do this! I am not leaving you behind!” Jeremy insisted.

Kazrack roared and leapt for the rope again, and pulled himself up to Jeremy’s feet, but another portion of the pillar rack off, and Jeremy had to hurriedly move to keep from falling himself, and again Kazrack fell back down.

“You are just in my way!” Kazrack panted. “Go! At this rate the entire floor will collapse!”

“I have an idea!” Jeremy called down beginning to climb up to the upper floor. “Stay where you are. I’m gonna cut the rope and pull you up!”

“Just go!”

Jeremy clambered up dexterously, and made it to the where the rope was fasten to the remaining chain. He cut it free and moved carefully back to the edge of the hole, swinging the rope towards Kazrack, who he could see was once again trying to climb, but this time the bare pillar. Seeing the rope drop near him again, Kazrack grabbed it again.

Grunting, Jeremy pulled the heavy dwarf up hand over hand. Soon they both lay on the steps breathing hard.

“Let’s go,” Jeremy said, standing and helping Kazrack to his feet. “And don’t look back.”

The column they had been on just moments before, groaned and tipped over, taking most of what remained of the floor on this and the lower level with it.

-----------------------------------------------

Beorth came through the dust cloud into the lower end of the shaft to the surface, and the light shining from his helm pierced the darkness and revealed the owners of the frantic dwarven voices around him. Belear lay bleeding and unconscious, and Captain Adalar was seeing to him. The elder dwarf had been being pulled up as he grasped Blodnath’s unconscious form and both had tumbled down when struck by falling stonework.

Above Ratchis, was yelling down for three people to get the rope he was about to pull, while Baervard and Derek pulled up Golnar, who held Blodnath, and Martin who was already up was dragging the party’s packs away from the monolith as quickly as he could. Tolnar and Jolnar had already made it to the top, and were making ready to grab the third rope, when there was another great tremor, and they fell on the blood-stained flat surface of the stone above. (6)

“Oh Nephthys! Oh-Siris, Oh Isis! Give me strength! Give me strength! Give me strength!” the watch-mage repeated as the earth shook around him. Craters began to mark the ashen earth around him, and several times he had to change his direction to avoid them.

“Beorth! Help me tie Belear to the last rope,” Captain Adalar said, as he grabbed the end of a rope. The paladin helped, and then tugged on the rope. Adalar hefted the elder dwarf and held on to the rope and in a moment Ratchis was pulling them up.

Beorth began to wrap a rope about his arm as Jeremy came into the shaft chamber.

“Is Kazrack behind you?” Beorth asked. Jeremy nodded, and turned to gesture, but at that moment there was an explosion of stone as another of the great columns fell and a shower of dust burst into the chamber. In a second they were all covering their eyes and coughing.

“There is no way anyone survived that,” Golnar said, above helping to pull a rope. A plume of dust was rising from the shaft, and the whole stone groaned as it sunk into the earth askew.

“We are going to keep pulling people up until all of my friends are here!” Ratchis said.

Derek shook his head discouraged, and looked up at the plume of smoke. “We have to get out of here. This is just a signal for someone to come and get us.”

Ratchis glared at the young ranger.

“Kazrack!” Jeremy cried, and turned to go back into the main chamber, but the dwarf came stumbling in, his helmet gone and his head bleeding profusely.

“There is not room back there anymore,” he coughed. “Just a pit, and you should be up the ropes.”

Beorth was startled as the rope he was attached to began to pull him up. Another rope was dropped beside him. “Take the rope that just came down! Hurry!” he called down to his companions as he disappeared into the darkness above.

Jeremy grabbed the rope and started pulling himself up hand over hand.

“Someone is on this rope!” Derek said, looking back down and feeling the weight of Jeremy on it. Hope filled him again.

“Adalar! Help Derek!” Ratchis commanded, straining as he pulled Beorth up.

The Captain handed Belear to Golnar. “Get moving,” the dwarf told him and his brothers. “Bring him and Blodnath out of the area. Follow the mage!”

They obeyed.

Jeremy felt the rope jerk and looked back down frantically, but the dust and the darkness did not let him see if Kazrack had grabbed on. Far below, the metal door to the main chamber fell, and the floor of the shaft cracked open, sending another rush of dust up. The Neergaardian did not want to leave it to the speed of being pulled up and he again began to go hand over hand to quicken his ascent.

In a moment, Beorth came up over the side of the shaft, taking deep rasping breaths between lung-shattering coughs.

Ratchis hurried over. “Where are the others?”

Beorth shook his head ambiguously, but there was still weight on the remaining room and the hulking half-orc stepped over and helped Adalar and Derek pull on it. Soon, Jeremy appeared, coughing as well.

He let go of the rope and crawled away from the hole.

There was still weight on the rope.

“Kazrack?”

The dwarf was pulled up.

“Where are the others?” Ratchis asked, doing a quick headcount in his mind and realizing he had not seen Helrahd and Kirla.

Kazrack just shook his head. “Let’s go.”

The Fearless Manticore Killers hustled off the great monolith as the earth rumbled around them and great rents appeared in the ashen soil. The pointed columns fell inward, and the sand slid down towards the center. The scrambled up and away from the increasing incline like ants fleeing their hill when it has been carelessly kicked.

They could all feel and hear a secondary rumble that seemed to be growing from behind and beneath them, just below the groans and crashes they could still hear coming up the shaft. It cressendoed until it was the only sound to be heard, and throwing themselves in the dirt in fear and exhaustion, they looked back to see the great black monolith swallowed by the ground. Several rows of pointed columns followed after it, along with tons of the ashen earth, sending a secondary black plume that rose up even taller than the first gray one.

The earth gave one final hard shudder, and those who tried to stand to keep running were knocked back down.

In a moment, it was eerily quiet.

“I think I just lost ten years of my life getting out of that place,” Jeremy said between gasps.

End of Session #48

----------------------------------------------------------
Notes:

(1) Expository Note: This entire session (approx 6 hours) was done in the same initiative order in rounds, based on the initiative rolled the session before. As the PCs made their way out of the Necropolis of Doom, I rolled an initiative for the collapse of the place itself. And when its number came around I rolled an increasing chance of an ‘effect’. Effects ranged from simply a cinematic description of something breaking or crashing, to the whole place shaking (calling for balance checks) to pieces of the floor or ceiling collapsing. There was a tense atmosphere of fear and excitement around the table and when it was all over, the players gave me a round of applause because they had enjoyed themselves so much and were impressed with what I had come up with. I never received around of applause from players before. I was taken aback and felt like Pirate Cat was about to step out of the bathroom to award me some kind of DMing plaque. But, if I can for a second imagine that Kevin Kulp did come out from lurking in my bathroom like a three-legged spider in the drain, indulge me this little humble acceptance speech: I’d like to thank my players because without them this would all be impossible, or I’d be a little weirder than I already am.

(2) Expository Note: As the action was happening in separate places, I took some license to describe several rounds of action in one area and then in another, while in game it took place simultaneously. I tried to use specific events to tie together PC/NPC action chronologically.

(3) Natan-Ahb is the head of the dwarven pantheon.

(4) Remember, the shaft to the surface had four levels that held masks and sarcophagi.

(5) Kazrack refers to the time before the First Age, when all dwarves were united under one king and there was but one immense island in the world. However, in punishment for their greed, Natan-ahb smashed it with his great hammer, making Aquerra into the many islands it is today.

(6) The party first came upon the monolith in Session #40.

And here's mine. :D

This is my most recent post, The "hero" in this post is Paquito a minotaur who is feeling the effects of having his will crushed by the evilness of the altar he waits to be sacrificed upon. All the combatants are minotaurs. Most of my posts are a little longer than this one. This part of the story was broken over 2 posts.

The pain has left my body, but the oppressiveness of Taurranous's arrogance weighs me down like a waiting grave. The one thing that has saved me from many ill fated outcomes, is the one thing that escapes my mind currently, my glibness can only be successful if I speak it. I wish things had turned out differently, I wish I could do something useful.

If my spite were a weapon, Taurranous would die a thousands deaths while he chants over me. I wonder what his weapon of choice will be, and how much more pain I could endure. His power lies in his ability to effectively intimidate his fellow clan members, I sense his intent to intimidate me and I spit out at his failure. If only my tongue would move, it might have been impressive.

With hope fading I search within me for something tangible to pour what is left of me into. Alas all my lies are plain to see now, two-dimensional cut outs of what I thought they should be. The memories of the last people I thought of as friends, get washed away with the tidal darkness sweeping over me. My deeds laugh at me as though I was something less of creature and more of a joke. I languish in a sea of contradiction, lost within it's waves, false truths, and double meanings.

But, within that cacophony of torment, a bloodied body coalesces from the memories. It's minotaur shape is plain to see, great horns well over half again it's body's length grow from a head of black coarse hair. The great man pushes off from the bottomless pit of my despair, and I see the visage of Baphomet. His voice thunders not in my head, but through every organ of my body.

"Your complacentness appalls me, I do not lie here in wait just for you to fall to me. You are of my blood, I expect you to charge to me or perish trying." Blood rains constantly from numerous wounds on the Fiendish minotaur's body.

The dark crimson liquid turns the bleak landscape of my anguish into a slow beating artery of hate. The oppressiveness increases as it tries in vain to make my body into a two dimensional mockery of my parentage. I understand now why I am tortured thusly. I understand why I shall not let this end upon the cold stone hand of Asmodeus.

Baphomet throws his head back as the force of deception pummels his form in front of me. "Get up, get up and charge unto me. You are of the maze, and you are never lost."

My consciousness is shoved off the cliff of hopelessness and slams into the face of reality. The din of battle replaces the ringing in my ears, I smell the dusty stench of fiendish stone, my hands are free to move as the leather bonds have been severed. My eyes adjust to the bright light of distant torches, I see Taurranous, before I discern his screams.

The bull lord fights to remain standing in a field of thick black tentacles which undulate of their own volition, seeking out the flesh of Taurranous to pull him flush with the floor.

"Kill the cow!" Taurranous shouts to his Minotaurs.

Two Minotaurs turn and race towards Corridorian, only to be tripped up by the jabbing thrusts of the minotrices' long spears. The remaining minotaur moves up and grasps Taurranous' hand and braces himself in an attempt to free his lord. Corridorian spies this opportunity and unleashes a blinding bolt of lightning that arcs through the bull lord and into his supposed savior. Taurranous escapes with nary a signed hair, while the minotaur falls to the floor cooked medium-well. Black tentacles erupt from beneath the minotaur and cover it in a mass of lightlessness, the sounds of flesh sluicing off of the dead body renew Taurranous' efforts to free himself from the maze mage's spell.

I lock onto Taurranous' eyes, I wait until his stare is unblinking in it's menacing glare. I wait until he perceives my strength of will as I stand before him. I relish in the knowledge he is beaten, yet his laughter still mocks me.

"The little calf wants to play with the bulls now eh? Your spirit will taste best crushed like that of an elf's." Taurranous speaks as he rips his way through the magical bonds that appeared to hold him so fast mere moments ago. His massive hoof stomps out the essence of another tentacle as the bull lord rises up to peer down at me.

I don't hesitate, I focus only on where his heart should be. One step and my hands go out from my sides, two steps and I reach the edge of the stone hand. My hoof pushes off from stony index finger and I drive my immature horns into the belly of the beast. Taurranous laughs as he prepares to catch my smaller body, his laughter turns to a bellowing pain as one of my horns gouges across his rib cage. His massive hand, instead of snapping my spine, flares out and swats me away towards the floor. I slam into the cold stone and feel the inky black tentacles rising up from the ground to encase myself as well.

"Not bad for a cur runt." Taurranous says pivoting to face my prone body

Before I respond, I gaze intently on the wound I caused, and see that my motive has gone unnoticed by the bull lord. "My aim was not to cut you. It was to poison you. No?"

Taurranous' eyes shot down at the bleeding wound on his chest, green foam had already frothed out of the gash, spilling it's wasting power through the veins of the minotaur.

"Arrr!" The massive bull lord bellows and the walls tremble with a fear they've known for far too long. Taurranous kicks away another tentacle and bends down to heft me off the floor.

Corridorian ends her Evard's Black Tentacles spell and sends a flare through Taurranous' field of vision. The bull lord's attention is turned away from me and focuses on the small firelight that flits through the air in front of him. I grab his muscled arm with both of my hands, and twist my body in his grip, allowing my mouth to run across the back of his hairy claw that holds me upright. Finding a soft spot I bite down and break his skin, the magic of my collar sends another round of poisonous fluid into Taurranous' bloodstream.

Taurranous reflexively drops me and I land hooves first onto the floor, as the bull lord writhes in agony. I watch as he seems to shrink, what was once a six foot height difference has now become half that. The bull lord staggers and strains to keep himself standing, even his bellowing of pain sounds more like a panicked plea for help, than a commanding cry of intimidation. Taurranous grasps his bitten hand like a tourniquet, trying in vain to stave off the wasting effect that roils through his body.

I grab the throat of the once great bull lord, and pull his face down to mine. Taurranous coughs and wheezes as the poison strains his lungs. "This is my tribe now. No?" My words cause Taurranous to open his eyes in anger. I mouth the words of a spell slowly, enunciating every syllable as if to defy the depths of hell. In the instant before the effect is unleashed, the palm of my claw illuminates and in the growing light of arcane energy, fear finally settles in the eyes of Taurranous.

The scorching ray spell sears through the soft flesh of the bull lord's neck, and strikes the ceiling above him. Taurranous' head lops off as the bull lord's body crumples to the floor, his head seems to hang in midair for a second longer before coming to rest alongside of the defeated minotaur.

Droid101

First Post
Here's my entry. Quick background: the Heroes have are assaulting the Iron Fortress for the third time. The last time they went in, they killed a few of the leaders, and one pit fiend got away. They're going back in to finish off the pit fiend, steal the relic blade they're rebuilding, and get out of the plane of Archeron back to the prime material. Off we go!

(I update my story every weekday, so read up if you like frequent updates!)

---------------------------------

After a good rest, the Heroes gather.

“Bloodthorne, where were you yesterday? We could have used your help!” The Necromancer seems annoyed.

“So, are we goin’ back in now?” Bloodthorne stays oblivious.

“Impossible…” The Necromancer is quite flustered.

“Okay, okay. Blaze is down, but we’re going back in to steal that sword in the foundry. We’ll teleport in. This time, we’ll have protection from fire spells going to help us if that pit fiend is still there, and so we can go into the forge without getting hurt,” Eltharion takes charge.

“Stealin’ is my specialty,” Bloodthorne chimes in.

Eltharion casts protection from fire on everyone who needs it. He also casts barkskin on himself. The Necromancer casts mirror image, haste and fly on himself. He then casts fly on everybody else.

“Ready?” The Necromancer asks. The Heroes nod, and The Necromancer teleports them onto the balcony of the two-story chamber.

The female duergar they killed is sitting down on the first level, cross legged. Her eyes dart up to the Heroes as they arrive. A wry smile crosses her lips.

From the far side of the chamber on the second level, four magical meteors materialize and streak toward the Heroes. Their eyes widen and they all try to dive out of the way, but to little avail.

One of the meteors strikes The Necromancer head on, and he is killed instantly. The explosion from the impact sends his limp form flying across the room and tumbling down the iron stairs. His charred body lets out a puff of ash into the air.

One of the meteors strikes Ogrim squarely in the chest, but being the stalwart dwarf he is, he doesn’t budge. The pain from the burns and subsequent explosion urges him to grit his teeth, but he hardly flinches. The flames pour over everybody else. Eltharion jumps, ducks and dodges, but still takes heavy burns from the fire and staggers to one knee, coughing from smoke inhalation. Grog doesn’t fare much better, staggering but not falling.

Bloodthorne seems unaffected. He jumps down to the first level and strikes out at the female duergar, cutting her on the arm.

Eltharion casts aside self-preservation and casts faerie fire near where the meteors originated from. Sure enough, the artificial fire illuminates the invisible form of the pit fiend.

Ogrim runs around the balcony, straight toward the pit fiend.

Eltharion closes in, and Grog does the same.

The duergar lashes out with a flurry of punches and kicks, attempting to stun or trip Bloodthorne, but to no avail. He stays standing and dodges deftly.

The pit fiend flies down and bites into Bloodthorne, injecting his vile poison.

“ ‘ey mate, that stuff don’t work on me,” Bloodthorne throws off his hood to reveal his undead nature.

Ogrim jumps down to the first level, following the pit fiend. He crashes into the devil with his axe on the way down, cutting deep into one of its leathery wings.

Grog and Eltharion get on either side of the balcony and leap off as well, both of them also scoring wounding hits on the fiend.

“You ‘ave to be the most pathetic excuse for a devil I’ve eva seen. You ally yourself up with a dwarf and ‘ope to win?” Bloodthorne chuckles. The pit fiend roars in anger.

That gives Bloodthorne the opening he needs. He thrusts up with one of his enchanted longswords, digging it deep into the fiend’s neck. It roars out in pain, and launches a combination of attacks at Bloodthorne. Its claws rake deep into Bloodthorne’s decayed flesh, and its wings bludgeon his old bones. And a final bite tops it all off, or rather, bites Bloodthorne’s top off. Bloodthorne’s head is nearly separated from his shoulders, and his body falls limp to the floor.

“NO!” Grog yells out, his rage has been building since the first explosion. His muscles bulge, his eyes go bloodshot, and the veins on his forehead become all the more prominent. He grits his pointed teeth and swings his katana over his head with all his might. The powerful attacks hit home, leaving huge gashes all over the fiend’s legs and stomach.

Eltharion lets fly from the other side, slicing his Moon-scimitar and Sun-sickle at blinding speed. After a whirlwind of seven attacks, the pit fiend stumbles backward.

“We’ll meet again…” the fiend teleports away again, and the female duergar follows suit, vanishing from view.

Grog collapses to the ground, and Ogrim leans heavily on his axe. Eltharion looks at Bloodthorne and The Necromancer’s bodies.

“Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea…” Eltharion mumbles.

“The cold iron floor feels good on all those burns…” Grog tries to make light of the situation, pressing his face against the metal.

“How are we supposed to get off this cube, when The Necromancer was the only one who could teleport us?” Ogrim asks.

“Maybe the ant-guys can teleport us home,” Eltharion reasons.

Ogrim carries The Necromancer’s body over and puts it next to Bloodthorne’s.

“I guess we should start walking…” Grog says, slowly getting up.

“Walkin’ where now?” Bloodthorne’s voice pipes up.

“Hey, you’re alive!” Grog exclaims.

“ ‘course I am,” Bloodthorne hobbles to his feet, the terrible wounds all over his undead body slowly healing.

“That’s good news. So, can you be killed at all?” Grog asks.

“Not a chance! Not before we steal that big sword of theirs!” Bloodthorne flies down to the exit door that leads to the forge. He opens it and flies on in. His undead body immune to the heat.

He flies through, but doesn’t see all the workers that The Necromancer did. All the anvils are empty, and only the raging fires provide any kind of noise. He flies around until he finds the foundry, and flies on in.

Four huge pillars of flame surround the large floating scimitar. Bloodthorne flies on in and grabs the blade, then flies on out. The pillars of flame start to move and spout small appendages. However, Bloodthorne is long gone by the time they animate fully.

“ ‘ere it is. Now, let’s get back to those ants,” Bloodthorne says. He leads them through the forge, and back out quickly, Eltharion protecting them from fire once again before they go. They get out and exit the fortress. They start the long walk back, Ogrim carrying The Necromancer’s body.

“Anybody know which way it is?” Eltharion asks.

“The ant thing teleported us here, we never walked,” Grog responds.

“I’ll see what I can see,” Bloodthorne flies up several hundred feet, looking around for the large hive-like metal complex of the formians.

“I don’t see anything on this side of the cube that looks like the ant’s place,” Bloodthorne says when he returns to them.

“Great. Well, let’s walk to the closest edge and check out that side, see if it’s there,” Eltharion says. The Heroes begin to walk.

Will the Heroes find the formians? Will the formians be able to get them home? Will they be stuck on this strange cube-filled plane for the rest of eternity!? Find out next time!

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
From "Of Sound Mind the Halfling Way," this takes place sort of 'between' major story arcs. It's a teaser- if you want to see how it comes out, go here. This post highlights the roleplaying in the campaign, with a few bits of humor as well- there's lots of that in this campaign! I hope everyone enjoys it...

Patronage

Airhead Ed skips happily along, the bottle of wine that was awarded to her clutched in her hand. It’s a fine halfling vintage, bearing the Redgrape label, and Ed just knows that it’s going to be great! A wide grin splits her face as she sings to herself and skips along the path between the wagons and tents.

The gathering is a riot of color, with brightly-painted wagons and dyed tents on every side. The folk largely recognize her, though her face will likely be forgotten by many in a few months; but for now she’s a hero! And thinking of the letter of introduction that she was awarded (like all her friends), she knows that she can count on halfling allies anywhere she goes.

“Oh!” Ed exclaims, catching herself as she nearly bumps into a short old woman with a scent like apples. “I’m sorry, old grandmother!”

“It’s all right, dearie,” the halfling matron sooths. “Say, you’re one of those younguns who got the bell, aren’t you?”

Ed blushes. “Yes,” she says modestly.

Beaming, the old woman says, “Oh, that was so nice of you! Well done, too- from the stories you kids have been telling it was very dangerous!” She opens her handbag and digs around for a moment, finally pulling out a bottle. “Here,” she says. “I don’t need this anymore- my days of adventuring are over! But you may. It’s a potion of healing. Take it as a token of my thanks.”

Speechless, Ed takes the proffered bottle. She watches gratefully as the old lady hobbles away humming to herself.

“Well, well,” says Gregory Yellowflower. “You seem to have made a bit of a name for yourself, Phenol.”

Phenol Sandybanks- Sandy to his friends- is relaxing, trying not to look nervous and doing a fairly good job of it. The Yellowflowers are well known as one of the moderately powerful and fairly wealthy clans, and- or so Sandy’s heard rumored- at least some of the money comes from less, well, legal activities. Not that there’s much law these days to worry about, but there are still tax collectors- as Sandy knows all too well!

“So what are your plans now?” Gregory continues. The two of them are in a large tent, full of comfortable but light furnishings. Gregory is seated behind a light writing desk and is opening a small box of polished mahogany. From it he withdraws a pair of cigars, snips them and offers one to Sandy, who accepts gratefully. The sweet aroma of the tobacco is almost as nice as that of Mama’s famous pancakes.

There’s a moment of silence as both cigars are puffed upon, broken only once both are nicely cherried. “I don’t know,” Sandy admits. “Take a little while off, maybe... I don’t really have any plans. Why?”

“Well, it seems that you’re developing some pretty useful skills,” Gregory answers blandly. “Skills that might be useful at times. Now, I don’t have anything in particular in mind, but you just never know.” He grins. “Perhaps I could offer you a retainer? And then you could be available to help me out with various tasks that your skills are suited for?”

Sandy studies the Yellowflower for a moment. It wouldn’t be wise to alienate someone with the kind of connections he might have... and besides, the Yellowflowers are a pretty successful clan. It can’t hurt to hitch one’s fortunes to the successful guys, right?

With a smile, Sandy graciously accepts a 50 gold piece retainer.

Ed is almost back to the wagons that the Flapjacks clan have set in a semicircle when she bumps into a beautiful beautiful man.

“Oh my!” she exclaims.

He’s... he’s...

Old enough to be mature, but young enough to be... well... young. Not a boy, he’s definitely a man. (Well, a halfling man, but you know what I mean.) His hair is a luxurious reddish-brown, set in little ringlets. He wears a proud purple cloak, a bright tunic and hose. A hat set at a jaunty angle almost completes the picture, but it’s the dazzling smile that really tops it off. “My apologies, my lady,” he says smoothly. “I was not watching where I was going!” He sweeps Ed’s hand into his and presses his warm lips to it. Ed’s heart is all aflutter, her head swimmingly light.

“Oh... I... I’m Ed,” she gasps.

“Zenvo Dalais, at your service,” and he bows sweepingly. “If only I had more time to talk with you!” Somehow both of her hands have become lightly clasped in his. She threatens to swoon. “But alas,” and he releases her, and a poignant yearning shoots through her, “I have many things that require my attention.” He takes a step back, his eyes seeming to hold her like a lover. “Perhaps we shall see each other again.” His smile again! -So warm and open, it’s irresistible!

“Oh... I...” Ed doesn’t even know what to say. So she gives up, leans forward, pecks him on the cheek and runs away.

A few hours later, on the outskirts of the camp, Ed and Sandy are walking together. She’s caught up in thoughts of Zenvo, and he’s caught up in thoughts of Gregory Yellowflower, so they aren’t talking too much. They’re actually, oddly, good company for each other because of this. But both are knocked clean out of their reveries when they hear a high-pitched scream. The two of them rush towards it and find a female halfling crying in fear. “My baby, my baby!” she shrieks.

Following her gaze, Ed and Sandy spot the child in question. He’s young, probably no older than four. Somehow, he’s gotten up a tree- high up a tree.

“What are you doing up there?” cries Ed. Thinking of climbing makes her think of her dead twin, Coco, and she bursts into tears, as usual.

“Kitty!” the child calls down, and claps his hands.

“Come down, kid!” Sandy shouts.

The child looks down. His eyes grow to the size of saucers. “Nuh-uh! I’m scared!” He sits down, then looks around sniffling. “Kitty?”

Sandy groans. “We’re going to have to climb after the kid,” he tells Ed. And while his face is turned from the tree, something hits him in the head. “Ow!” he cries angrily, turning to look.

“Kitty!” the boy cries gleefully, pointing.

Sitting on the branch, having emerged from a hollow in the tree, are a pair of squirrels.

Four-foot long squirrels, that is.

As Sandy and Ed gape at them, the dire squirrels spit rocks from their cheeks into their hands and start throwing.

“Kitty?” asks the child.

Next Time: A fight with dire squirrels, a party at the Featherheads, and introducing the Bakeswells!

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
This is from my Barsoom Tales Story Hour. Our heroes, in the employ of the del Maraviez family, find themselves captured by pirates. And, as ever on Barsoom, things turn out to be stranger than anyone had first expected...

All tied up, bound hand and foot, gagged, placed in a circle facing each other, Isaac, Elena, Nevid, Arrafin and Etienne pondered their situation.

Pirate John had turned out to be less blood-thirsty and more charming than anyone had expected. His ship, dwarfing their little fishing vessel, drifted alongside and aboard came swinging Pirate John -- bluff, hearty and with a twinkle in his eye. As pirates went, he was practically a good guy.

Bound and determined, however, to hold his new captives for ransom, especially when he heard they were del Maraviez employees.

"del Maraviez, eh? And just what do they pay you for, I wonder? Delivering messages, perhaps?"

He yanked the document from Nevid's belt and perused it.

"The King himself? Very nice."

With an elaborate flourish he handed back the paper.

"I'm sure the family would pay handsomely to have that returned to them in a timely fashion. No more than they would pay for your health and well-being, of course. I don't mean to imply that they would value some musty document more than your own self."

He bowed. Arrafin giggled. All of them, struck somewhat confused by their captor's courtesy, filed aboard the pirate ship and waved goodbye to the captain who'd surrendered so easily.

"The stars! The stars have fallen! The nine-fold stars have fallen!"

"That's Crazy Adil. Don't pay any attention to him."

Pirate John waved at the raving Naridic man. The other crew members grinned and seemed to treat the elderly maniac with tolerant sympathy, pushing him gently aside whenever he got in the way, and agreeably nodding to all his dire pronouncements.

"The nine-fold stars have fallen! Awake! Awake! Tabbadur has been thrown open! Awake! The stars!"

"Thanks. We'll ponder that. This way, please."

Now here they were, trapped, tied up and stuck in a sort of attic chamber on Pirate John's island. A makeshift wooden door led to the stairs down to water level, and one entire wall of the chamber was open, revealing a drop of eighty feet or so to the water. The island was peculiarly put together, with a sort of a grotto cutting through it, high enough for John's ship to berth inside, forming a natural hiding place, complete with a dock, various chambers for crew members and loot, and this upper chamber where they were currently imprisoned.

With Crazy Adil, who seemed to have attached himself to Arrafin.

"Hejan of tomorrow! Awake! The stars! The stars!"

Elena growled through her gag. "Rrrr. Rrrr. Rrrr, rrrr."

Isaac answered. "Rrrr. Rrrr."

Pirate John's ship was not in the grotto; the pirate had left immediately, promising to bring word of their ransom.

"What if the del Maraviez won't pay for us?"

John shrugged.

"Then I let you go. I'm not a savage, my dear sir. Merely an honest businessman."

He considered.

"A dishonest businessman, I suppose. Pirate, you know."

With a jaunty salute, Pirate John strode from the chamber and then his ship sailed away and here they were, watching each other try to speak through their gags. Pirate John had cleverly lashed them to each other so they were unable to reach each other's bonds and so they sat for a while, listening to the guards left downstairs sing a sea shanty.

Arrafin looked around for a pencil to jot down the words.

Nevid hoped Isabella wouldn't be too disappointed in him.

Isaac replayed the duel with Juan Antonio in his head, grim satisfaction filling him as he watched the del Orofin's head tumble to the cobblestones.

Etienne, entirely new to this group, watched his compatriots carefully. They seemed strangely non-plussed at their sudden captivity. He knew very little about them, only that they were agents of the del Maraviez, as was he himself, and that he was to bring them to Pavairelle safe and sound.

Not doing so well on that one, he mused.

Elena concentrated. She could recall the way in which she had touched Juan Antonio's mind, and it seemed to her that she ought to be able to do something similar to physical objects. She tried to focus.

Pirate John had left three candles burning up here. One was no more than a few feet away. Elena stared at it, the slick wax dripping down onto the brass holder. A small flame but probably enough. If it would just... come here.

A quiet scraping startled her. It had moved. She tried again, tentatively, groping for the "muscle" in her brain that would make the candle draw towards her. Again, the round brass plate on which the candle stood scraped across the stone towards her. And again. Elena's confidence grew as she guided the candle behind her, twisting to watch its progress. At last it sat just an inch or so away from her wrists, and she turned back to face forwards.

To confront five very cautious stares.

Elena was suddenly glad nobody could speak. She held her wrists out behind her, hoping the intense heat on her wrists meant that the candle flame was near enough to burn the rope. Wincing, gritting her teeth as the pain grew, Elena started to yank her wrists apart rhythmically, and was rewarded at last with a simple, quiet tearing sound and her hands were free.

She clawed at the gag in her mouth and tore it loose, then disentangled herself from the ropes binding her legs.

With a look round at all her friends, still bound uncomfortably, Elena stretched and yawned a deep, satisfying breath.

"THAT'S so much better, I gotta say."

She smirked at the angry glares all around and then set about untying her friends.

Queries about how she'd managed to make a candle move across the floor she handled by saying "Kalibar taught me some tricks. Path of the mother, you know." Eventually the others stopped asking and started looking around their prison.

Etienne made a quick motion and led Elena and Isaac to the back of the room. Behind some crates he'd noticed an opening. The others understood and began silently moving boxes and barrels aside. Soon they'd exposed an alcove. Within sat a sort of marble box, eight feet long and about three feet across, waist-high. Situated on top of the box a human skull grinned at them.

Even more interesting than all of that, beyond the box another opening showed a flight of stairs leading up. The three looked at each other in cautious excitement. If they could just keep everything perfectly silent.

"The stars! The nine-fold stars have fallen! Awake!"

Isaac hissed, "Arrafin! Can you shut him up!"

Arrafin shook her head, dark curls going in all directions. Adil followed her everywhere and kept shouting these crazy statements. She turned to him and spoke in Naridic.

"Hush! Stop that!"

To her surprise, the elderly man immediately closed his mouth and stood silently staring at her. She smiled and put up a hand to wave at him.

"Hi."

"I am Adil. Adil al-Mula beni Nasir."

There was a moment of silence.

Arrafin looked around at the others, but nobody had anything useful to suggest. She turned back to Adil.

"Hi Adil. How are you?"

Looking more closely at the poor man, Arrafin noticed his face was covered in an incredible network of scars. It was as though he'd been shattered and put back together somehow.

"I'm tired."

For just a second he seemed completely rational. Then he smiled at her, and turned and raced off, over the edge of the room, into the grotto. They heard him splash, and a sudden thrashing punctuated by screams. Arrafin started for the edge to look down, but Nevid grabbed her, put a finger to his lips and shook his head.

Down below they heard startled voices. Standing perfectly still, only a few feet from the lip, Arrafin heard one of the pirates clearly say, "It's only Adil, getting eaten again."

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
....and this is from Wild Stewardess Action, one of my OTHER Story Hours. This one takes place in the same setting (believe it or not) as Barsoom Tales, but the connections between the two are few, and they are separated by a hundred years and a few thousand miles...

The players are mostly Air Canada flight attendants that my wife cajoled into playing "just one" session to see if they'd like it. I am now subject to regular demands from them for more. I don't mind too much. :D

The inn rested a few yards back from the road, a ramshackle affair of bamboo slats, thatch roof and rickety railings around the verandah outside. Smoke curled from the stone chimney in the dusk air, rising slowly and steadily and revealing the stillness of the atmosphere. Wei-Yong, Mau Li padding silently at her side, frowned as they approached.

"Not enough birds."

"I can hear birds."

"Yeah, but there should be more."

Lin Lin nodded, trying to be serious. "Yeah. Okay. More birds."

Soon they were close enough that the music coming from within the roadhouse drowned out any number of birds. And the delicious smell of roasting meat was making even Ming-Wa's mouth water. As a group they strode up the steps and threw open the doors.

The music did not stop upon their entrance. They found a wide common room, floored with rough planks, centered around a large firepit that fed into the chimney overhead. A crowd of barbarians sat at one end, weaving back and forth as they played their instruments or banged their fists on the low tables, keeping time with the young woman singing. Several turned their heads to inspect the new arrivals, a couple grinning at the sight of five women suddenly in their midst.

"Ah! Respectable guests! Beautiful ladies! Welcome, welcome!"

An elderly Tianese man, grinning toothlessly, bowed his way up to where they stood. He gestured, keeping well clear of Mau Li.

"Please, sit down, and be welcome. All are welcome at Kam's. Please, please."

The five Angels (and the wolf) followed and sat at a table as old Kam indicated. Shan asked for wine and food and the old fellow tottered off, only to return in seconds with cups, a loaf of bread and skewers dripping with fat, fresh from the fire.

Long experience together had taught the women that being polite only meant Shan would eat everything herself, so for several minutes there was no talking while they satisfied a days' worth of hunger. As Ming-Wa was wiping her fingers on the hankerchief she always carried, somebody stepped between her and the fire. She looked up to find the barbarian woman staring down at them all. She held a throwing axe in either hand.

"Strangers. This is a peaceful place. If you have come seeking trouble, I promise you you will find it."

The five women watched in silence as the barbarian twirled her axes around her wrists, sending the sharp edges whirling in a deadly pattern of flashing steel.

Wei-Yong nudged Shan, "Show her yours, Shan. Yours is better."

The barbarian jumped back as Shan started to draw her sword, but Fa restrained her friend with a gesture. She turned to the visitor.

"We are servants of the Goddess, barbarian. We seek trouble only for her enemies."

Shan and Wei-Yong tore off chunks of bread and held them at the ready.

The woman eyed the Angels suspiciously, but nodded.

"I have heard of your Goddess. We are not her enemies."

Ming-Wa tried to begin a sermon, but choked as Shan and Wei-Yong stuffed the bread chunks into her open mouth.

The barbarian woman sat down.

"I am Haan Shi. Perhaps you are seeking the stranger who came here two days ago?"

Fa nodded. Everybody ignored Ming-Wa's half-verbalized comments as she tried to swallow the bread. Haan Shi studied the group, then nodded, some decision made.

"We didn't see him, but Kam told us about him. Perhaps it was he who denied me my betrothed. Chow Siu-Keung was to come and meet me here last night so that we could be married in the manner of my people. He did not come, and so I sing here, hoping he will come to me."

Wei-Yong scribbled a couple of notes and waved the elderly innkeeper over. Several of the barbarian men were trying to catch the eyes of the Angels. Lin Lin smiled at everyone, while Shan sized them up like a breeder looking over the latest batch of puppies.

Kam nodded as he joined the conversation.

"That man... Yes, yes, he came here, two nights ago. He was strange. I did not like him, but I was afraid. He stayed overnight, upstairs. The next morning he went on -- the village is only a few more hours up the road. I was glad he left."

The old man's eyes lowered and his face seemed to sink in upon itself.

"Until I found Hsu Ki. She was wandering on the road, crying. She said, she said that everyone joined the stranger. They... tore down the statue... "

Ming-Wa touched his hand.

"What statue, sir?"

"The statue of the Goddess."

"Where is this Hsu Ki now?"

"Dead."

Fa stood up.

"I knew it. Spirits. Come on, let's take a look at this room he was in."

They had crossed perhaps half of the room and were between the firepit and the haphazard staircase to the second floor when both Wei-Yong and Lin Lin stopped in their tracks.

Bowstrings went taut outside then released.

Wei-Yong recognized the sound a split-second before Lin Lin did. She threw out an arm and slammed Ming-Wa to the ground, kicked over a table and dropped prone next to her startled friend. Arrowheads thudded into the tabletop.

Lin Lin flexed her legs and leapt straight up to snatch the bottom of one of the banners dangling from the rafters. She flipped herself up just as barbed shafts bulletted through the room, splintering the bamboo walls and buzzing angrily through the air.

Fa stood unmoving, not flinching even as one buzzed past her face, but Shan grunted and swore at the impact of an arrow breaking itself on her breastplate. She looked once to make sure Ming-Wa was safe, shoved Fa at the steps and ran for the doorway. Wei-yong leapt up and joined her friend. They threw open the doors and looked out at the torchlight yard.

Eight swords hissed out of eight sheaths. The tall bald man, bulging with muscles, gestured with both fists and his minions roared and charged the doorway.

Shan grinned.

"I thought we'd never have any fun up here."

"Fools! Return the Codex at once! Bring it forth and we might not slaughter you where you stand!"

The big bald guy laughed as his minions neared the inn.

Although Shan and Wei-Yong tensed for the onslaught, neither drew a sword as their opponents charged. Shan frowned in disappointment as six of the eight approaching thugs veered off and crashed right through the loose bamboo walls to either side of the door. Slats bounced across the floor in a rattling fury as the attackers split up, swords waving, and drove for the other occupants of the inn.

Wei-Yong flipped an arrow out of her quiver and snapped up her bow, releasing the thin shaft without apparent effort or care. A sudden ringing cut through the general cacophony as the warrior's sword sprang from his hand, knocked away by her careless shot. The weapon sparkled as it spun through the air to land point-first in front of the bald man where he stood, glaring at the two women. The suddenly disarmed thug's glare lost a good deal of its fire and he froze for just a second.

Shan's frown turned into a gleeful smile as another swordsman charged her. She leaned back just enough to let his blade cut deep into the doorframe beside her face, and then her expression turned fierce enough to startle the man. He stood frozen, sword embedded in the doorframe, as she whipped her katana up and out in a back-handed cut that opened him up from his waist to his shoulder.

He sputtered and fell backwards as Shan flicked the blood of her weapon and smoothly resheathed it. The sword was back at her hip before he hit the mud in the yard.

She sneered.

Behind her, inside the inn, the swordsmen had met equally stiff resistance. Fa, standing at the top of the stairs, turned her imperious stare on the two charging for Ming-Wa. Inky tendrils of shadow oozed around her as she summouned the dark power that served her will, and the two men froze, their swords banging off the floorboards. Across the firepit, two others had run into the barbarians and the clash of steel told of an issue still in doubt.

Shan heard a familiar growl behind her and casually leaned away from Wei-Yong. The fellow her friend had disarmed turned his amazed stare from Wei-Yong to gape over Shan's shoulder. A split-second of terror and then he disappeared in a flash of grey fur as Mau Li cannoned into him, two hundred pounds of angry wolf digging in and holding on as he flew off the verandah, screaming.

Wei-Yong beamed.

"Good girl."

Fa called from inside.

"What's going on out there?"

Shan yelled back, "Bald guy wants his Codex."

"His what now?"

"Hang on, I'll check."

Shan nodded at the now-fuming bald man. "Hey. What's this Codex? Got any more friends?"

He stamped, throwing up a great splash of mud. Neither of them paid the slightest attention to Mau Li's ongoing mauling of the unfortunate thug off to the side.

"My mistress will tear you apart! She is not one to forgive easily and you will die deaths of agony as she tortures you. Return the Codex, thieves, if you wish to live."

Shan leaned back in through the door. "He won't tell me."

Four unarmed men, all bald, all impressively muscled (though not so much as to outshine their leader), stepped out from behind the big guy. They clenched their fists, then exploded in a sudden rush for the inn door.

Neither Shan nor Wei-Yong had time to react with anything other than pure unconscious reflex. Which in Wei-Yong's case meant she put an arrow in either eye of one of the new fellows, while Shan nearly cut another in half. The two surviving leapt right past the women at the door to land in front of the fire-pit. They both struck poses and opened their mouths to begin long, intimidating shrieks.

Shrieks that were unceremoniously cut off when Lin Lin let go of the banner and landed on their heads. Giggling.

The girl bounced to her feet, lashing out in a blinding kick, and a sudden flurry of fists and knees and shins and foreheads blurred back and forth between her and the two men, who managed to circle around and flank her. Lin Lin's eyes were nearly closed, an ecstatic grin on her face as she deflected one attack after another, weaving and ducking between her opponents.

Nearly everyone watching stood in fascination, watching the contest. Except for Shan, who heaved a sigh of boredom. She noticed that there were two of these guys, and only one Lin Lin, and after a bit of math decided that was one bad guy too many.

Shan couldn't accelerate too fast, but she had enough steps between where she stood at the door and where the fight was happening in front of the firepit that she could build up considerable momentum. Shan in motion was pretty nearly an irresistable force.

Two steps into her charge, Shan saw Lin Lin send one of her opponents flying into the firepit. She chuckled and poured on the speed, leaning forward and extending her arms.

Both Lin Lin and her remaining opponent noticed the onrush of muscle and armour. And both stepped back to let it by. Shan screeched to a halt on the very lip of the firepit, windmilling her arms like mad as she attempted to avoid a faceplant into hot coals.

Lin Lin grabbed a ridge on the back of her friend's armour and snap-kicked herself into the air, planting her left heel solidly under her opponent's chin. His head snapped back and he dropped to the boards without a sound as Shan stumbled back from the edge.

Wei-Yong leaned against the doorframe, keeping one eye on the now-enraged bald man watching his minions get dispatched with such ease.

Ming-Wa got to her feet and set about tying up the swordsmen Li Fa had immobilized. She looked up as the barbarian woman, her embroidered cloak flying, feathered turban flashing, stormed by to stand next to Wei-Yong at the door.

Haan Shi spat noisily and shook her fist at the bald man.

"Leave us in peace, smelly Tianese trash!"

Wei-Yong nodded in approval.

The bald man looked in danger of exploding from apoplectic rage. His face turned red as he shrieked, "The Jasmine Witch will not be denied! You will return the Codex at once or die!"

"Are you watching the same fight I'm watching?"

Wei-Yong looked on as Haan Shi yanked out her throwing axes and went through the same impressive routine she'd used before, spinning the hafted weapons around in a blur of steel before releasing both.

The axes whirled through the air, deadly and true.

And he caught them. Both.

Wei-Yong's eyes widened. She turned back just in time to see both axes hurtle back and plunge themselves into Haan Shi's torso. Knocked backwards by the impact, Haan Shi crashed to the floor and sat staring at the weapons embedded in her front. She gave a quiet groan and collapsed.

Two arrows flew from a single string before Wei-Yong had even consciously acknowledged the event. She seemed to turn to the bald man just as he weaved aside from the shafts.

"Mau Li! Take him down!"

The wolf looked up from the corpse she was still tearing at, followed Wei-Yong's gaze and hurled herself at the man standing there.

And crumpled up with a yelp as his fist connected with her skull.

Ming-Wa heard her friend's cry of anger, and looked up in time to see Shan and Lin Lin fly out the door as Wei-Yong unloaded a stream of arrows, her hands blurring between the quiver and the bowstring.

They had done this a million times before. Shan felt Wei-Yong's arrows buzzing past her head, and brandished her sword, yelling as she charged straight at her opponent. As she neared him, she felt a sudden press against her back, and grinned as Lin Lin leapt onto her shoulder and then tumbled up and over the startled bald man. She plowed into him swordfirst, and lost herself in the ever-thrilling dance of combat, peripherally aware of her friend on the other side, Wei-Yong's shots somehow finding clear space and nicking his arms and face, Lin Lin's shouts and giggles as she kicked and punched and spun like a crazed toy.

Shan wasn't precise like Wei-Yong and she wasn't fancy like Lin Lin. Her sword moved in simple, predictable arcs. Arcs cut with such power that her opponent was forced to retreat, stumbling back from blows so strong the sound of the blade cutting through the air was as loud as Lin Lin's yells. As he back-pedalled, he kept running afoul of Lin Lin, who nearly tripped him flat several times.

He broke free of them both and staggered back a few steps, real fear in his eyes.

"My mistress will boil you alive! You have incurred her wrath and you will pay!"

Wei-Yong lowered her bow, exasperated.

"Would you stop it? You're embarrassing yourself."

They all took a step back as he brandished what looked like a small black bead.

"You have not seen the last of me!"

He threw the bead to the ground and vanished as shadowy darkness coiled up from all around.

"Hey, we're not done with you!"

Last edited:

Jon Potter

First Post
My submission

Fantastic idea, Nemm! It's nice to take a peak at story hours that I've never looked at before and I can't resist an opportunity to solicit more readers for my own efforts. So...

This is from a while back in my story hour. I chose it because it represented a turning point in the campaign. The set-up is this: The characters have discovered a gate in a cave that leads (among other places) to a wooded area complete with an altar to a dark god, and a rather large guardian of said alter. Things did not go well for them.

--------------------

[Realms #232] Gate Crashing

"Golly wilikers! I knew I should have brought a bigger piece of cheese!" Vade stammered as he stared, slack-jawed, at the enormous creature.

Draelond unsheathed his great sword and quickly wiped his brow with a massive forearm as the beast went into motion. "I have a bad feeling about this," he said to no one in particular. The words hung around him in the air like a prophecy from The Great Book.

The thing moved with surprising swiftness and it was in their midst before anyone had any real chance to react. It didn't help that its 10-ft. long arms allowed it to reach them while keeping its body out of harm's way. Vade's luck seemed to have run out as he found himself the target of the rat-thing's attacks. The quick-footed halfling dodged the first swipe, but the creature's second claw savagely opened his guts.

"Yaaah!" the halfling squealed. Vade doubled over and took a step back. He fumbled one of his special glass bullets into his sling and let fly. Instead of striking between the giant's bulging yellow eyes, the tiny missile went up and over the creature's head, shattering harmlessly on the ground behind it.

Ixin, since she was not immediately threatened by the thing, reacted quicker than most of the others. Of course, she wasn't sure what she could do on the cave-side of the portal. She decided to perform a quick test of her limitations and drew some of the nexus' power into her body while her hands traced the relatively simple somatics that would activate one of her most minor spells. She conjured a tiny droplet of vitriol and cast it out at the monster that was currently rampaging amidst her friends. The green globule dissipated as soon as it intersected the flat plane that formed the portal's surface. Magic wasn't the answer, she grumbled as she began fumbling in her Cloak for her crossbow.

Ledare saw none of what Ixin had attempted. The Janissary was too busy sizing up their situation and closing with the rat-headed giant. "Ruze, mayhap this creature guards the altar!" she shouted as she advanced, silver-iron longsword at the ready. "Concentrate on the altar and do your business while we engage this thing!"

Even as Ruze nodded and forced his attention back to the unholy block of stone, Ledare came within reach of her opponent's claws. She cried out in pain as its filthy nails found a gap in the armor at her left knee. She faltered, but didn't stop until she was within sword's reach of the creature where her blade cut a vicious arc through the air. The blow, however, was turned aside by the creature's rubbery hide and caused it no injury.

Ruze heard the Janissary's cry of pain, but he forced himself to seek the inner calm that would allow him access to the divine energy needed to destroy the chaos altar. It was no easy task, but he managed. "Blessed be Shaharizod!" he cried out, brandishing his holy symbol in his fist. "Blessed will this shrine now be! Bathe it in thy light!' He felt the flood of positive energy pour through his soul and into the altar. The connection was strong and would have sent a dozen zombies cowering in fear. Against the unholy power of the altar stone, it had absolutely no effect.

Draelond finally gathered his wits and charged the giant rat-thing's flank. It was too preoccupied with Ledare to take an opportunistic swing at the warrior as he closed, and Draelond intended to make the creature pay dearly for overlooking him. He swung Ravager two-handed with all of the might within his divinely-enhanced body and buried the saw-toothed blade in the creature's kidney. It roared and turned on him as he withdrew the sword. Before he could do anything to react, it was upon him, grabbing Draelond like a mean child might grab a toy it no longer fancied. It brutally ripped his arms out of their sockets. Draelond screamed in agony for only a moment before the creature dropped his broken body onto the ground at its feet. He didn't move.

"Nooo!" Vade screamed as the big warrior fell. The halfling's sling whirled over his head and he let fly with his amber bullet. It struck on the thing's right hip and shattered releasing a greasy blossom of fire on the creature's leg, causing it considerable pain.

Ixin aimed her crossbow through the portal at the enraged behemoth and fired. The quarrel shattered against the surface of the portal much as her spell had done. Short of stepping through into The Spiderwood, Ixin was powerless to help her companions.

Ledare swung her sword at the giant once more, but her aim was off and the weapon sliced only air.

Disgusted with the unholy vigor of the chaos altar, Ruze turned with determination to face the creature. He called upon Shaharizod's divine favor, "My Queen grant me thy sword arm!" Holy power suffused his being and he drew his scimitars to face the altar's guardian.

---------------------

The link to the story hour's in my sig below.

ltclnlbrain

First Post
Prison of the Firebringer

Hard to choose a good one without spoiling things too much. I think this installment is a good indication of my Story Hour as a whole. A good mix of intrigue, roleplaying, and combat. Enjoy!

Chapter 12

The High Conflagration sat behind his desk, Degradzel seated opposite him. A hulking troll in chainmail stood behind the High Conflagration, his arms crossed across his massive chest. Their eyes were on Durzhul, bruised and bloodied, as he paced about the room. The durzagon's eyes glowed red as he gave his report.

"That thrice-damned mage! By the Abyss, that man is crafty! Xorfilstaarg is dead. The blues and reds are all dead. Though I managed to take out two of their number, I barely escaped intact, and now we are all that are left! Save for a few whelps seeking out the last mage, we are all that remains of the cult!"

Degradzel turned to the bald man, fear and anger in her eyes. "This is all Thornridge's fault! He sent them here on purpose! I bet he's a double agent, working for Acessiwal or some other--"

"That is enough!" roared the High Conflagration, nearly leaping out of his chair. Both Durzhul and Degradzel shrank before their master's awesome wrath. "I don't want to hear another word of complaint from either of you! The cult is not doomed. We remain alive. The scepter of the ar-magus is in our possession. There is still a chance the Firebringer may be freed. I have just received a sending spell from Yarrick Zan."

Durzhul gasped at the mention of the name. "Yarrick Zan?" he asked. His voice was little more than a frightful whisper, as if even saying the name might have brought doom upon him. "He actually exists? I had heard stories, but I never thought they were true."

"He does exist, or she does, for all I know. The forms Zan takes are always just a disguise: nobody knows his true nature. But we were able to make contact with him and hire his services. Even as we speak, he closes in on a mage who will be a suitable candidate for the ritual. We merely need to hold out for a few more days until Zan delivers him to us. Then, he, Durzhul, and that wretch Philosten will conduct the Rite of Unbinding, and everything we have worked for these past months will finally come to fruition. The Firebringer will walk Faerun once more, with us as his allies, and woe to anybody who dares stand before us!"

"As for Thornridge, he will be getting a visit from Zan once this business is complete. A very brief visit."

With a flash of light, the battered forms of Allanon, Gillian, Grundar, and Terenon appeared outside of Baldur's Gate. Their clothing was torn and burnt from the battle with Durzhul and the slaad, and vicious scars and bruises adorned their bodies. At least they had managed to survive; the bodies of Berek and Rhys laid within Grundar's portable hole. Solemnly, they made their way through the crowded streets of the city, ignoring the stares they got from the townsfolk they passed.

Terenon's breath came in ragged gasps, his skin pale and stretched across his face, his eyes sunken and hollow. Durzhul's enervation ray had taken its toll on the mage, and it would be a few hours before the effects wore off. He leaned heavily on Grundar as they walked, his knees threatening to buckle with each step. They were almost at the Temple of Torm, and the mage knew that relief was only a short distance away. To distract himself from the pain in his body, he concentrated on an image that had been on his mind for the past few days: an image of the aasimar sorceress, Serrila Destare. Despite having only spoken to her for a short period of time, Serrila had left an indelible mark on the mage’s mind, and he found himself thinking of her quite frequently during the slow periods of the journey. Her face hovered before his mind’s eye, and he could have sworn he heard her voice in his head. Safe in Silverymoon, she seemed to say.

Terenon blinked in astonishment. He was not imagining things: that was Serrila’s voice! As he listened, the words continued to form in his mind. Thornridge is not what he seems. I’ll tell you more on our next meeting. How goes the battle? Good luck! Serrila. It took Terenon a few moments to realize that the sorceress had contacted him via a magical sending spell, and it was now his turn to reply. Forming the words in his mind, he sent a response back to Serrila: In Baldur’s Gate. We’ve suffered losses. We’ll meet you tomorrow morning outside Silverymoon’s south gate. Be careful: Acolyte spies may be about town. Stay safe.

Grundar paused and cast Terenon a worried glance. The mage had suddenly stopped in his tread and had a faraway look in his eyes. “Are you alright?” the duelist asked. “What is it?”

Terenon smiled at his friend. “A plan,” he replied. “I’ll tell you more later. For now, let’s get to the temple.”

Rhys Thurn stood among a throng of petitioners, souls of the recently dead yet to be claimed by their patron deities. A flat, featureless plane of endless white stretched off in all directions to the limit of his vision, almost completely filled by the horde of the milling souls. Though he knew he was dead, Rhys was not frightened; he had spent his life in devotion to Torm, and he was confident that his god from come soon to take him to a better place. Meanwhile, the priest drank in the details of his surroundings, awed by the life that followed death.

The aasimar was distracted from the contemplation of his surroundings by a faint buzzing at the back of head. At first he tried to ignore it, but the buzzing grew in volume and intensity. Soon, he could make out words against the background noise: somebody was calling his name! Rhys strained to listen, and he heard the resonant voice of a High Priest of Torm calling his soul to return to Toril. Rhys was strangely saddened to leave this place before he reached his lord’s realm, but he knew that he would lose all memory of the experience when he returned to his mortal body anyway. “My duty is not yet complete,” he told himself as his soul began to ascend back to his body.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rhys awoke with a start, cold sweat plastering his features. It took him a few moments to realize that he was in the chapel of a temple dedicated to Torm. He lay naked on a cold slab with a blanket draped across his body. A smiling priest hovered over him.

“Welcome back, my son,” the priest said. “You certainly took your time to return; we were uncertain whether or not you actually wanted to come back.”

“Where am I?” asked Rhys.

“Baldur’s Gate. Your friends brought you and the dwarf here to be raised. You must have been in quite a battle judging by the nasty wounds that adorned your body.”

“Berek!” said Rhys, suddenly remembering seeing the valiant dwarf fall shortly before he did. Twisting on the pallet, he saw the body of the berserker lying a few feet away from him, completely covered by a sheet. The body was completely still.

"I am sorry, but the dwarf's soul refused to be brought back. All his life he dreamed of death in glorious battle, and he felt he had achieved that. There is nothing we can do if the soul is unwilling to return."

Rhys stared at Berek’s corpse, his face grim. Though the dwarf had been a wild card and might have accidentally killed them all when gripped by a battle frenzy, he had always been a staunch ally and a valuable asset to the group. His loss would be a hard one to take.

The happiness that surrounded Rhys’ return to the group was tempered by a sense of regret at the loss of Berek. Allanon seemed particularly saddened by Berek’s death, and remained sullen and morose throughout the day. Laden with mixed emotions, the group headed about the city, attending to various errands that needed to be taken care of. It was early evening when they finished their tasks and, upon Grundar’s suggestion, decided to retire to the Elfsong tavern for the night, hoping to hear the tavern's ghostly resident's legendary haunting melody. They sat themselves at a table in the corner.

“So Terenon,” asked Grundar, “what’s this plan of yours?”

"Earlier today,” began the mage, “I received a message from Serrila Destare. I decided to keep it to myself until I was fairly certain that we weren’t being followed or scryed upon. If you remember, I asked her to keep an eye on Thornridge. She has dug up some information on him. Tomorrow in the morning we will make a detour to see and get the report from her. Depending on what she says, we may or may not confront him."

“Ah, I had forgotten about that duplicitous merchant,” said Allanon. The wild mage’s gaze suddenly turned distant and she added softly, “Deirdriel…now that I think about it, I have some business to take care of in Silverymoon as well.”

"Fine, we can take care of it when we get there,” said Terenon. “Now, from the conversation I had with the green slaad before he broke my charm, I have deduced a few things. The red-eyed dwarf is named Flame Lord Durzhul. His boss is the High Conflagration. I'm not sure who that is, but we do have a card up our sleeve. I would bet money that Flame Lord Durzhul has protected himself from scrying, but Moskogg’s secretary is another story. I believe she is the key for a surprise attack. Scrying on her will give us a location to teleport into and kill everything we see.”

The discussion was interrupted by a beautiful voice singing in Elven. The song was hauntingly beautiful, and the tavern fell silent as all the patrons were overcome by its power. The party listened, transfixed, as music filled their souls with powerful feelings of sadness and longing. As suddenly as it started up, though, the song ended a few minutes later. There was a brief moment of silence, then activity in the tavern resumed.

Grundar inclined his head, tears flowing freely down his face. “It was…more beautiful than I had thought possible.”

Allanon was about to comment when she felt a hand on her shoulder. Turning to look, she saw a scrawny man standing over her, shaking unsteadily on his feet. His clothes and hair were unkempt and his breath reeked of alcohol.

"Beautiful song, isn't it?" he asked, tongue thick with inebriation. "Almost as beautiful as ye are, purty lady. The name's Vortimer; may I have the pleasure of yer company this evening?" He leered drunkenly at the sorceress.

Allanon gaped at the man, her mouth open. Up until a few days ago, she had been a man, and as such had no experience in dealing with lechers like this Vortimer. She wondered how to let him down easily without hurting his feelings. Her thoughts were interrupted by Terenon’s voice saying, “She’s my woman. If you don’t leave now, I will disintegrate you where you stand.”

The drunk reeled backward on his feet, nearly losing his balance as he scurried away from the table. Rhys chuckled heartily as Allanon whirled on Terenon, fire burning in her eyes.

“[i[Your[/i] woman?” she asked incredulously. “I beg your pardon, sir.”

Terenon merely shrugged, smiling thinly. “I believed that it would be the most expedient way to deal with the situation. No harm, no foul, my lady.”

Crossing her arms across her chest, Allanon settled back in a huff. “As soon as we get back to Silverymoon, I’m getting my manhood back,” she muttered.

Gillian had been quiet for a while, but now she decided to speak up. "I'm afraid that once we get back to Silverymoon, I'm going to have to leave the group. There is no telling how far the Acolytes' influence has spread. I must return to my people to prepare them for the worst if you should fail in your quest, and to enlist aid for our cause if it is needed. I am sorry I cannot venture with you further, but our paths are not the same from here on out. I hope you can understand."

The others were shocked by the halfling’s announcement. "If you are sure you must leave, we cannot stop you,” said Terenon. “I am saddened by your decision. Your prowess in battle will be hard to replace."

“Yes, it has been quite an adventure we have shared,” added Grundar. “However, our strength is now even less than before. Perhaps we should look into finding new members to accompany us back to the Dungeon.”

“You are right, of course,” said Terenon. “I don’t believe we can just advertise a job opening though. Trusting an unknown with what we are facing is ill-advised. Who knows if a stranger that accepts the offer is not an agent of the Acolytes of the Hidden Flame?" Turning to Rhys, the mage said, "Perhaps the temple of Torm has a few reputable fighters it could suggest. Maybe Serrila knows of someone who can join with us, too."

Rhys simply shrugged. “It won’t hurt to try, I suppose. We should check into it in the morning.”

“I’ll keep watch tonight after my Reverie,” said Grundar. “It would be best to be cautious.”

Sitting in a chair in the tavern’s hallway, Grundar watched through a window as the sun slowly creeped its way up from beyond the eastern horizon. The others still slumbered in their beds, recuperating from the vicious fight of the previous day. The elf’s ears perked up as heavy footsteps began to sound on the stairs. He silently got to his feet and put his hand to his rapier in case it was trouble. Several uncouth voices floated up the staircase to the hall.

"I'm telling ya, this is the floor where that purty lady is staying. That uppity mage is probably with her, too."

"Now, you sure this guy won't make good on his threat? I hear tell of powerful mages and what they can do! I don't want to be turned into no newt or nothing."

"Relax, we just sneak in there and brain the guy so he don't wake up, then we take the girl. What could go wrong?"

Four men reached the top of the staircase, taken aback by Grundar's presence. They all were the thuggish type: greasy, unkempt, and probably still a bit drunk from the previous night. They sized up the elf a bit before turning to one man nervously. This man was apparently their leader, the same drunk guy who had accosted Allanon the previous night.

“Good morning gentlemen!” called Grundar, his hand still on the hilt of his rapier. “Looking for somebody?”

The man, Vortimer, grinned broadly, revealing crooked yellow teeth. "We don't mean no harm, elf, we just came for a little bit o' fun with yer wench. I suggest ye stand aside: we've got ye outnumbered, by my count."

Grundar smiled mirthlessly. "Well, my ‘wench’ happens to be a powerful sorceress in her own right. I doubt you'd have any fun with ‘her’ unless you'd like to have parts of your anatomy burnt off. Now, it seems to me you still have a little drink left in you, so I would suggest that you guys head on back to where you came from and sleep it off."

Vortimer frowned in consternation. He seemed to be deep in thought (a rare experience judging by the look on his face); finally he looked back at Grundar. "Alright, elf, no need to be rude. We don't want to start nothing with ye. We'll be on our way; no hard feelings, right?" With that, the men stumbled off down the stairs and out of sight.

As they left, Grundar heard a door creaking open behind him. Turning to look over his shoulder, he saw Allanon peeking out from her room, clad only in a thin nightgown that hugged her lithe form and brandishing her quarterstaff. “What was that about?” she asked.

“Well, Allanon, you seem to have made quite an impression on the local folk. Given that outfit you’re wearing, I can’t rightly blame them,” the elf said, chuckling.

Allanon frowned angrily. “Just shut up,” she said, slamming the door.

The group made their preparations for the day ahead and, after a hearty breakfast of sausages and gravy, they left the Elfsong tavern and began to make their way to the Temple of Torm to see if they could recruit another adventurer to their cause. The crowds began to thicken as they made their way through the streets of Baldur’s Gate. As they navigated the busy street, Terenon was nearly bowled over by a teenage girl covered in dirt and wearing the clothes of a beggar. The nondescript girl looked nervously to and fro as she scrambled to her feet. Exhausted and frightened, she blurted out, "Help...please. He's chasing me...wants to kill me..."

Terenon felt his initial irritation give way to sympathy as he sensed the girl’s fright. “Calm yourself child. No harm will come to you in our presence. What is the matter?"

The girl saw the sympathy in Terenon's eyes and forced herself to calm down. "My name's Lisa. There's a man chasing me. A man with a big club. He broke into the room where I was staying and has been following me around the streets for hours. I don't know what he wants! I don't know why he's chasing me! You've got to help me!" She looked at the mage with pleading eyes.

Nodding, Terenon began to scan the crowded streets for anybody suspicious-looking. “What does this man look like child?” he asked.

“There he is!” said Lisa, pointing to a middle-aged man in merchant’s clothing who had just appeared from around a storefront. He was portly, handsome, and appeared to have no gear other than a fancy mace strapped to his side. Seeing Lisa, he pointed his finger at the young beggar girl.

"You there! Young lady!" said the man. "Come here. Step away from those people. I must speak to you!" The man cast a stern look toward the girl and grimaced. "Come now, I tire of this game!" he said impatiently, gesturing for Lisa to approach him. "I won't hurt you!"

Before the group could react, a burly voice shouted from behind. "You there! Halt!" A captain of the Flaming Fist, the mercenary company that guarded and patroled Baldur's Gate, stood behind them, brandishing a large polearm. Four other guards stood behind him. "Stay away from that man, Lisa," the captain said. "He's dangerous." The captain of the watch then pointed at the adventurers. "You people! Help me apprehend that scoundrel now, and the city has a 10,000 gold piece reward for you!"

“It would be my pleasure,” said Terenon, casting a spell intended to freeze the merchant in his tracks. The spell did not work, though, and man began to move toward them, snarling, “You foolish, plane-bound idiots!”

The guard captain shouted out, "Men, aid these people and attack that fat merchant." The guards hustle up through the adventurers’ midst and readied their halberds. The merchant drew his mace and moved quite quickly at one of the guards, who slashed at him with his halberd as he approached. The merchant dodged the attack easily and bashed the guard with the hilt of his mace in a powerful blow that dropped the man to the ground, unconscious. The remaining guards regarded the merchant nervously.

The guard captain moved over to Lisa. "Come along, Lisa," he said. The girl shied away from him though, a look of confusion on her face.

“I don’t know who to attack,” whispered Gillian. “I can detect no evil auras.”

Allanon cast a spell at the merchant, trying to dispel any enchantments he had up, but there were no obvious results. Grundar stepped in the merchant’s path, drawing his rapier. “What do you want with the girl?” he asked.

"There is no time for these childish shenanigans,” the merchant replied. “You have no idea what's at stake here. Bring the girl and come with me before someone gets hurt!"

Rhys began to send a blast of searing light at the merchant, but Grundar grabbed his hand to stop the spell before he could finish. “Wait! I don't think he intends to hurt Lisa! Didn't you see him use the hilt of his mace on that guard? Something doesn't look right here."

The guard captain made a grab for Lisa, but she hopped back. "How do you know my name?" she asked. "I've never met you before in my life!"

The guard captain growled with anger. "Give me what is mine!" The captain's form then began to shift, blossoming outward into a massive creature. Its form stabilized into a tall, bipedal mantis-like creature with clawed hands and feet, powerful mandibles, and a long, thick tail covered in razor-sharp spikes. Terenon and Lisa felt a wave of fear flood their minds: Terenon resisted it, but Lisa screamed and cowered before the monstrosity. The creature jabbed at her with its massive spear, but she fell over in fright just in time and the spear passed harmlessly over her head.

The crowd around the group screamed in horror at the bug-like creature. They began fleeing in terror, along with the three guards who remained standing. The merchant yelled, "Don't just stand there, fools! He's going to kill her!"

“Grab on to me!” Terenon cried to Lisa, but she remained on the ground, quivering with fright. Acting quickly, he wrapped his arm around the girl and cast a spell, instantly transporting them both to a far away rooftop. The merchant moved to Grundar and Rhys' side, his form changing as he went. By the time he was next to them, he had changed into a beautiful, extremely tall man with long, feathery wings and a very supple and lithe body that glowed with an inner power that made it hard to look directly at him. He readied his mace against the foul creature.

“An angel,” breathed Rhys. In all his years of service to Torm, he had never seen such a beautiful creature as the one that now stood beside him. He breathed a prayer as he turned to face the insectoid creature, bolstered by the presence of this celestial ally. Unfortunately, the thing had teleported away and currently stood a scant few feet from Terenon. “Give me the girl!” it shrieked as Lisa whimpered and cowered behind the mage.

“Terenon’s up there alone! Do something!” shouted Grundar.

Allanon frowned, knowing that the mage would not last long by himself. She looked over to the others and nodded. “Everyone grab hold of me. I’ll take us over there.” Gillian, Grundar, and Rhys quickly grabbed hold, but the angel hesitated. “You can trust us,” said Allanon, and finally the celestial being consented. With a flash, they appeared behind the creature, which Allanon recognized as an ice devil.

The devil raised its spear to strike at Terenon, but the mage hastily cast a spell and erected a hemispherical wall of force around him and Lisa. The weapon was shunted off the invisible force field, and Terenon flipped the creature a rude gesture as it shrieked in rage.

“Give it up, Felespar. I will not allow you to take the gem," the deva intoned, brandishing its mace.

"I will not be so easily deterred!" the devil roared. It held out its hands and a cone of intense cold blasted out at the group. Grundar and Gillian evaded the blast of cold and the angel seemed unaffected. Rhys took the edge of the blast, though, and Allanon took it full on, the cold numbing their lifeblood and shards of ice tearing at their flesh.

Grundar tumbled up to the devil and stabbed out with his rapier, but the creature’s hide was too thick and it merely shunted the blade aside. Gillian rolled around the things legs and came up, calling upon Yondalla’s holy power to smite the devil with her chain. The weapon left a glowing scar across its chest, and the devil howled in pain. The deva charged in, taking the devil’s spear in its side, and bashed it across the face with his mace.

Allanon almost passed out from the pain caused by the barrage of ice cold air and shrapnel. With what little feeling was left in her arms, she cast a quick spell and began floating into the air, away from the devil.

“By Torm’s might, send this creature back to the hell from which it was spawned!” cried Rhys, holding his holy symbol aloft. The devil felt a tugging sensation as the magic took effect, but he resisted the banishment with a great effort of will. Snarling, it lashed out at its assailants with teeth, spear, and tail. Gillian took several blows, and a nasty wound in her shoulder and side opened, staining her shirt red.

Terenon cradled the terrified Lisa close to him, watching through the wall of force as his companions battled the ice devil. It seems that his friends were having a tough time with it; Grundar and Gillian were having trouble getting past its thick natural armor, and Allanon and Rhys’ spells simply sputtered against the thing’s magic resistance. Even the angel was having a tough time landing a solid hit with its mace. The devil lashed out again, striking Gillian in the chest with his spear, and now the halfling’s entire shirt was stained with blood as she struggled to keep on fighting.

Then the tide turned. Grundar focused his full efforts into his attack, finally managing to pierce the devil's thick hide. The rapier slid in deep, and while some of the damage was negated by its fiendish nature, the elf managed to hit a vital organ that drew a great cry of pain from the devil. Seizing the advantage, Gill delivered two quick slashes to its back that scored its hide with holy energy. The deva scored a good hit with his mace, too, crushing the devil's arm with the holy weapon.

Allanon blasted the beast with a powerful gout of chain lightning. Not expecting the attack to bypass its resistance, the devil made only a half-hearted attempt to dodge it. The lightning bolt caught the devil square in the chest, and the beast convulsed as the electricity coursed through its body. The devil shrieked in rage in pain, leaning heavily on its spear. "You win this round, celestial! The baatezu will not be spurned so easily though!" With a flash of light, the creature disappeared.

The angel reattached his mace to his belt, rubbing the spear wound in his shoulder. His hand began to glow, and in a few seconds the wound disappeared. "Trust it to mortals to believe the devil, just because he takes on the form of an authority figure." The angel turned to Terenon and Lisa, a stern expression on his face. "Now then, come out from behind that wall and let us have a discussion like civilized people."

Visit my story hour here.

Remove ads