I would like a simple sorceror revision.

Michael Morris

First Post
My tinkering with the sorcerer is giving them some nice juicy and unique feats to pick from. I've never had balance issues with them though, before or after.

The only campaigns were the sorcerer has trouble keeping up is when the DM gives out enemy spellbooks like candy and/or doesn't STRICTLY enforce the spell preparation rules.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
While far from being a subpar class without equivalent spell level access, in my experience sorcerers' late spell level access when compared to that of a wizard makes sorcerers a seldomly picked class. In my experience, spontaneous spell casting is not that powerful, most definitely not any more powerful than a wizard's nearly limitless potential to adapt their abilities to a given adventure, or divine spellcaster's ability to prepare spells from their entire spell list.

Fieari

Explorer
I've been using Khaalis's "full" sorcerer varient without problems... in fact, it's still slightly on the weak side, but definitely NOT overpowered like one or two (IRL) naysayers have been screaming to me for thinking of buffing the class. I fully support your decision to buff the sorc, and would highly reccomend you check out Khaalis's full pdf for sorcs. Really good stuff there.

Andre

First Post
Thanee said:
And I don't think the sorcerer is underpowered at all.

I agree. The problem with sorcerers is that they tend to be the same ol', same ol'. If you want a viable character, your choice of spells at each level is pretty limited. You end up with most sorcerers having the same (or very similar) spells much of the time.

I absolutely hate having to select spells ahead of time, but I've started playing a wizard just for a change. The sorcerers were getting boring. But certainly not weak.

dwayne

Adventurer
Andre said:
I agree. The problem with sorcerers is that they tend to be the same ol', same ol'. If you want a viable character, your choice of spells at each level is pretty limited. You end up with most sorcerers having the same (or very similar) spells much of the time.

I absolutely hate having to select spells ahead of time, but I've started playing a wizard just for a change. The sorcerers were getting boring. But certainly not weak.

I make my PCs give me a back ground as to how they gained their power. And then I as a DM make a spell list based off of this with a good balance of spells even making some up if need be to fit the back ground. I think this really makes the class fun and more interesting be it dragon blood or magical mishap.

Hawken

First Post
If you used the Revised Elements of Magic, you wouldn't even have to worry about rewriting a sorcerer. There aren't any. They aren't necessary when every spellcaster can cast whatever spell they want when they want (as long as they know the spell). Mages don't have to prepare their spells (they can if they want to) and every spellcaster creates their own spells. It fits in perfectly with any D&D campaign without overbalancing or underbalancing anything.

haiiro

First Post
dwayne said:
I make my PCs give me a back ground as to how they gained their power. And then I as a DM make a spell list based off of this with a good balance of spells even making some up if need be to fit the back ground. I think this really makes the class fun and more interesting be it dragon blood or magical mishap.

Do you mean you make a custom spell list for them to choose from, or that you choose their spells for them? If it's the latter, that sounds like it would be very frustrating for the player in question.

dwayne

Adventurer
haiiro said:
Do you mean you make a custom spell list for them to choose from, or that you choose their spells for them? If it's the latter, that sounds like it would be very frustrating for the player in question.

No I do not choose the spells for them I make a list for them to choose from. A little some thing about me as a DM I do not like being shoe horned in to anything so I let my PCs do just about what they want when it comes to race, class, or type of adventure but all have to want to do the same thing example I had a demon paladin, a pervasian wizard, a barbarian, a intelligent golem fighter, as well as various other PCs that dropped in and out over the course of the campaign. The demon paladin was a risen demon who saw the error of his ways from a priest of hiemdal. This started hem on the path of becoming one of the incorruptible and a celestial creature. The wizard died when his artifact the rod of time was destroyed which fractured his soul though all time so now every so often another part of him self will appear and to reclaim part of himself he has to ether convince himself to join with him or fight himself and reclaim the part of his soul the other aspect has. Some of the aspects are evil as we all have some evil in use. The barbarian is a race of humans that have bone spikes that grow at various spot on there bodies he has become almost indestructible over the years in game time. His classes and feats he has chosen have been good because I helped pick the ones that would help the most for what he wanted to do. The Golem creature were a race that were created by the great dwarven wizards of old as defenders of there kingdom there features are ruff and blocky. This one is an engine of destruction like a mobile battering ram of sorts with the hammer artifact he has and various other things he has are very powerful as well. Even with all of the power these PCs have I as a DM have still been able to challenge them and make things entertaining. Sorry I kind of got side tracked there

Crosshair

First Post
I've been playing Thanee's Sorcerer Variant so far. No problems or troubles, even if there was, however, my DM wouldn't care.

I really like it, keeps new spells coming, I have skill points too and the metamagic feats let me keep up with the Wizard. Works well, I think it will still be underpowered nearing epic level.

Remove ads