Paizo Paizo Pricing Update, New Releases, War of Immortals Playtest Wrap-Up, Partnerships

Updates on Paizo's pricing changes and sustainability practices, new releases, War of the Immortals Playtest wrap-up, and new partnerships.

Updates on Paizo's pricing changes and sustainability practices, new releases, War of the Immortals Playtest wrap-up, and new partnerships.

PZO2113RageofElements_PZO7121PortsofCall_1920.png

Paizo Pricing and Sustainability Update​

It's that time of the year where companies are looking at the economic factors of inflation and adjusting prices accordingly. Starting October 25th, Paizo will be raising their prices on their PDFs and print books. So now is the time to fill in any gaps you have in your collection.

Bounties and Quests will be going up to $5.99 from $4.99, while all Society scenarios will be standardized at $8.99 regardless of level. Special interactive scenarios will increase to $19.99.

As for print products, the price changes will go into effect for products rolling out in April of 2024, as well as reprints of older products. For a full list of prices, you can check out their blog. These new prices will not effect the first printings of the hardcover core books as they are essential to Pathfinder players and Paizo wants to hold the line on those as long as possible to reduce the barrier of entry for new players.

One thing Paizo has been doing in the background is use soy-based ink in all of their products. In addition to ecologically friendly inks, they will be changing to PSC-certified paper. This is a mix of new and recycled paper, but you shouldn't be able to tell the difference in paper quality. They will also be making some more sustainable changes to their shipping supplies as well.

New Releases​

It's the end of the month and that means new releases! Physical releases have already dropped with Organized Play Scenarios releasing on October 25th.
  • Starfinder Enhanced is a 192-page hardcover that has revised fundamentals like core classes and starship combat. This can be used in conjunction with the existing system. It also includes scalable equipment, new spells, new versions of the classes, and 12 playable species.
  • Pathfinder Adventure: Rusthenge is a standalone adventure that takes characters from the nearby village of Iron Harbor to the ruins below Rusthenge. There are new magic items, character backgrounds, and monsters to be found.
  • Pathfinder Adventure Path #196:The Summer That Never Was (Season of Ghosts 1 of 4) takes the characters to the town of Willowshire to observe the festival know as the Season of Ghosts. Only this year, something goes wrong and you wake up in the woods with your town in dire need of heroes.
  • Pathfinder Lost Omens Travel Guide Special Edition presents the highlights of the Inner Sea region pointing travelers to what to see and what festivals are the best.
  • Starfinder Society Scenario #6-08: Lost Revelry tasks the characters unraveling the mystery of a silent Vigilance, a vessel sent to investigate the reappearance of the Revelry after the stabilization of the Drift. What cold malevolence is spreading its despair through the Pact Worlds?
  • Pathfinder Society Scenario #5-05: The Island of the Vibrant Dead starts with Marcon Tinol interrupting a lecture. A strange new ghoul named Ghessa has arrived on the Island of the Vibrate Dead and her story isn't adding up. It's now up the the characters to travel to the island and dig into her story.
  • Starfinder Society Scenario #6-09: Ridgerock Rescue sees the Strafinders hot on the trail of Ongie, an engineer on the run from the corporate overlords that have ruled Ongie's hometown of Braerton: the Mongers. The Starfinder Society suspects the Mongers go by another name: the Organization. It's now up to the Starfinders to save Ongie and all of the information she possesses.

War of Immortals Playtest Wrap-Up​

After sifting through feedback, the team at Paizo will be going back and improving bit and pieces of the animist and the exemplar.

There is talk of the animist's practices being a bit too complicated so they're looking to either trim out some unnecessary complexity or replacing them with invocations, but nothing is decided yet. Vessel spells will be getting some stricter limitations. They are also talking about significantly expanding the number of apparitions available.

The exemplar will be getting a bit a a tweak to stabilize the changing of focus between offense and defense. To this end, the team are looking to increase the defenses a bit and give them a wider range of abilities for each of their ikon types. Domain spells will be removed from the class, but might make a reappearance as an archetype later. With the removal of spells, there is a bit more room to make epithets a bigger part of the class.

Partnership Announcements​

Paizo has partnered with RPGMatch, allowing fans of Paizo games to unlock a badge for their RPGMatch profile.

Savagesparrow Studios has announced their Live, Laugh, Leshy Kickstarter. This will feature four enamel pins of Dandelion, Cactus, Gourd, and Fungus Leshies with more to be unlocked through stretch goals.

If trivia is your thing, Pathfinder Lore Masters Trivia Game is now available for iOS and Android. Challenge your friends or just immerse yourself in the rich lore of the Pathfinder universe.

Dawn Dalton

Dawn Dalton

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I was a happy PF DM and player until I needed Hero Labs to keep up with the vast (+2000) feat trees and that slowly curdled in my head to the point I was ready for 5e in 2014….and yes, 9+ year 5e PHBK is selling very well just looking at the continual Amazon sales rank as a general guide. I still use my old adventure path monthly books and just convert over the monsters and such to 5e as I have them in pdf and can have them on my TV as a map and such.

Yeah, I wasn't happy when they decided to go for a 2E. I was candidly thinking they will keep PF1 forever but what I was thinking? New editions are "normal" in TTRPGs. Still, I wonder why they still do new version, I'm pretty sure that DnD5 Player's Handbook is still selling a ton.
D&D5e sales have no comparison within the rest of the industry though, even within other editions of D&D. Games eventually either release new editions or slowly fade away. There really isn’t an example of anything that doesn’t fit one of those 2 categories in the TTRPG industry.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
D&D5e sales have no comparison within the rest of the industry though, even within other editions of D&D. Games eventually either release new editions or slowly fade away. There really isn’t an example of anything that doesn’t fit one of those 2 categories in the TTRPG industry.
It's also been 20 years on the 3E chassis. We will see how 5E does with another ten.

It's also been 20 years on the 3E chassis. We will see how 5E does with another ten.
5e is going to be interesting to watch. Hasbro has lofty expectations and even if 5e sales remain strong by the measuring stick any other TTRPG would use, it could see changes if the VTT and other investments don’t pay off the way Hasbro wants. Interesting times ahead for sure.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
5e is going to be interesting to watch. Hasbro has lofty expectations and even if 5e sales remain strong by the measuring stick any other TTRPG would use, it could see changes if the VTT and other investments don’t pay off the way Hasbro wants. Interesting times ahead for sure.
Im guessing because of the VTT the future of D&D is incremental change instead of wholesale. We will see.

Remove ads

Remove ads