Paizo Paizo Price Increases and Sustainability Efforts

Prices are going up in 2024 for Pathfinder and Starfinder products.

Paizo announced a new pricing structure for their entire product line. The changes will go into effect for PDF products (Bounties, Quests, and Scenarios) effective October 25, 2023, and will apply to all PDF products. No other PDF prices will be changed. The new MSRP changes go into effect in April 2024 for all print products.

PZO2113RageofElements_PZO7121PortsofCall_1920.png

The first printing of the new Pathfinder core rulebooks – Player Core, GM Core, Monster Core, and Player Core 2 – will maintain the current $59.99 MSRP for at least the first printing as “We feel these books are essential first purchases for Pathfinder players and want to hold the line on price increases as long as possible to reduce the barrier of entry for new players.”

The new pricing structure:
  • Bounties/Quests1 from $4.99 to $5.99
  • Scenarios2 from $5.99/$7.99 to $8.99
  • Special Interactive Scenarios from $14.99 to $19.99
  • Flip-Mats from $16.99 to $19.99
  • Flip-Mat Multi-Pack from $24.99 to $29.99
  • 96-page Adventure Paths from $26.99 to $29.99
  • Pocket Editions will range from $24.99-$29.99 to $26.99-$34.99 (varies by page count)
  • Hardcover Prices will vary by page count:
    • 128 Page: $44.99
    • 192 Page: $59.99
    • 256 Page: $69.99
    • 304 Page with map: $79.99
    • Special Edition covers add $20 to the retail price
1: Bounties and Quests are short, stand-alone digital adventures designed for 2-hour sessions

2: Scenarios are Pathfinder Society and Starfinder Society adventures previously priced based on play tier with higher-level adventures costing more. The prices will now be the same regardless of the level of the adventure.

FSC.jpg

Paizo also updated its current environmental and sustainability actions. The company already printed using soy-based ink that requires less ink per page with no toxic chemicals. Paizo is changing to FSC-Certified paper coming from ecologically sourced forests that prohibit deforestation and require protection of old-growth forests and biodiversity as well as protections for the rights of Indigenous peoples. Changes have also been made to shipping from the Paizo warehouse by changing shipping product partners and moving from foam packing materials to starch and cardboard. Full details are available on the Paizo Blog.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Stephen Glicker said on Roll for Combat they were quoted 40% higher for a print run on a similar size book just 2 months apart. It sounds like it has been going up steadily for awhile now.
Yeah I bet. It’s been awhile since I bought a hardcover I’m all PDF so was surprised.

Retreater

Legend
Except for adventures, of course. But the price increase on APs is only 3 USD, so that seams somewhat fair.
And lore books. Some of which are going up $30 each (a 60% increase).
The core rulebook is being split in half into Player Core 1 and GM Core - combined we'll be spending $120 for what used to be $60.
For me, I don't buy Paizo's books to use them. (I use PDFs and Foundry modules.) Any I buy in print is to read for fun, look at art, and collect.
This increase just priced me out of that aspect of the hobby.

Reynard

Legend
While I understand the need to increase prices of physical books due to forces beyond publishers' control, it unfortunately ahs the effect of requiring consumers to be much more circumspect about their purchases. The reality is, I feel like my money is better spent finding a really good tablet I enjoy reading on and moving to an all PDF library, minus the occasional "too pretty to not own" special edition book.

Remove ads

Remove ads