Help me think of a cool name for a "Silent Hill" type town

RJR-23

First Post
I like "Silent Hill" and "Darkness Falls" and "Twin Peaks" for creepy little haunted towns...

...but they're all taken.

Suggestions? I'm stumped...

Galethorn

First Post
Ravenholm.

No, wait, that's already taken; damnit.

Ok, ok, how about...Geist...burg. Geistburg.

No, wait, that's terrible.

Alright, how about...Raven...burg...hill..holm. Ravenburghillholm.

Ok, ok, I got nothin'.

Try getting Grim Tales, it should solve all of your--
[interruption]
--Ha! Just kidding.
[/interruption]
Actually, I recomend writing down a bunch of 'evil' or 'spooky' words and names like 'raven', 'darkness', or 'Piratecat', then a bunch of 'small town words' like 'burg' and 'ville' and 'ton', as well as geographical features (hill, valley, mountain, etc.).

Hopefully, you'll be able to think of some good combinations after looking at all those words. For example, Darkraven Hill. Yes, that's a bad example, but it's an example none the less.

Darthjaye

First Post
Black Hollow, Blood Willow, Sleepy Bay, Drago Bay, and Restless Falls are just a few names i can think of off the top of my head. Sorry they aren't terribly good or original sounding, but they might help spark something better within you if you find a mix and match of these or maybe they inspire you to further ends.
What exactly is this for anyways?

Ambrus

Explorer
I'm not sure exactly what you're aiming for, but I find using combinations of old english/teutonic/germanic terms can lend a sometimes sinister sound to a place name.

Ashenfell "hill of ash" (perhaps the site of a bad fire that wiped out the previous settlement)
Gravenhurst "cleared woodland" (perhaps a settlement built atop an ancient elven holy site)
Duskmoor "sunset wasteland" (perhaps a town built on the site of an ancient battleground)
Wyrdwick "mysterious swamp" (perhaps a town built next to a haunted marsh)
Ravenheath "uncultivated land of ravens" (ravens gather on battlefields, so perhaps it's a another reference to an old battleground)

This is what came up off the top of my head. Hope it helps.

RJR-23

First Post
Darthjaye said:
What exactly is this for anyways?

Sorry, should have explained a bit. Planning a Silent Hill-inspired "Town of evil" scenario for D20 Modern/Dark*Matter/Call of Cthulhu.

The town will be a physical embodiment of clinical depression; one of the PCs will eventually realize that he/she is a ghost and actually committed suicide from depression.

Just a rough idea for now. But I want a town name to have something to hang my hat on, and all that. ;)

RJR-23

First Post
Darthjaye said:
Blood Willow,

Hmmm...this is cool. I want the name to have a double meaning of some sort, nothing quite as obvious as "Darkness Falls" (though that is kind of a cool name, albeit from a lame movie) but not too subtle, either.

Blood Willow...I can work with that...

;)

RJR-23

First Post
Ambrus said:
Ashenfell
Wyrdwick

Those are tres cool! Definitely making my short list. Thanks! :D

Hmmm...maybe take "Ashenfell" and warp it into "Ash Falls", and it can be a reference to "veil of ashes", a metaphor for depression....

Hmmm....

[scribble scribble]

Last edited:

Von Ether

Legend
Restless Bay
Boca Raton (mouth of the rat)
Fort Pierce
Heaven's Gate
Haven
Autumn Hollow
Summer's End
Pinebox, TX (already taken but check out 12 to Midnight's site for some great stuff for your game.)
Sampson's Mine (for a an old mining town)
Lover's Leap
Something French. LOL!

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Still Knoll
Hell's Mount
Tranquil Valley
Sleepy Hollow ;)
Hushed
Hushed Hollow
Hushed Knoll
Whispering

You may want to look in an atlas just for the names of real places that grab you, little towns know one knows of, there are a lot of them that make you wonder. :p

Last edited:

Cam Banks

Adventurer
I use the fictional northwestern town of Patina Falls when I'm stuck for a creepy place. Ran a short adventure there once that had Twin Peaks overtones and a Thing in the Lake. Town gets its name from its copper mine, but it also has logging interests and a Coke bottling plant (you know, because it's nice to have a sawmill in the same town as a soda factory).

Cheers,
Cam

Last edited:

Remove ads