Saves: Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 11
Skills: Hide +7, Listen +11

Climate/Terrain: Temperate, warm, and cold forest, plains, and hills
Organization: Solitary or pack (2-5)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 4-7 HD (Medium-size); 8-9 HD (Large)

The dire porcupine ranges in size from 4 to 6 feet and can weigh up to 450 pounds. When the porcupine is relaxed, the hair and quills lie flat and point toward the rear of its body. When threatened, it draws up the skin of the back to expose quills facing all directions.

Combat
Dire porcupines are passive until threatened. When faced with possible combat, the dire porcupine raises the quills on its body, spins around smashing an opponent with its quill-covered tail as it does. Dire porcupines can bite an opponent, but rarely do. If it does bite an opponent, 1d4 quills break off from its body and lodge in the opponent’s body (see text below).

Quills (Ex): When the dire porcupine strikes with its tail, it dislodges 1d6 quills that automatically break off and lodge in the opponent’s flesh. A lodged quill imposes a –1 circumstance penalty to attacks, saves, and checks. Each 1 minute thereafter the quill moves deeper into the opponent’s flesh dealing 1d2 additional points of damage. Removing the quill takes 1 full round and deals 1d6 additional points of damage. If the quill has been embedded for more than 10 rounds, a Strength check at DC 10 is needed to remove the quill. For every minute after that, the DC to remove a lodged quill increases by +1.
An unarmed or touch attack against a dire porcupine causes 1d4 quills to break off and lodge in the attacker.

Skills: Dire porcupines receive a +4 racial bonus to Listen checks.

Last edited:

Gish Makai

First Post
Oh God!

I don't even want to go into why I hate porcupines in gaming. I actually lost a character because he decided he wanted to capture one. 'Needle'less to say, he didn't fare well.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Actually- this "little" guy will be popping up in a Necromancer product in the near future.

I will probably go back and redo a few things about it (namely the attacks as I think 1d8 quills may be a little too much for this guy).

Anyway- just wanted to post it, to get everyone's thoughts, opinions, criticisms, etc. :)

Nellisir

Hero
I'd get rid of the dual stats for tail strike attack and quill attack; the quills cause the damage from a tail strike after all (keep the tail strike values & dispense with the quill damage).
Also...give him a bite attack.

Nell.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
OK- editted the original post with some new stats and reduced numbers. I think I like this one much better. The original was a little overpowered.

Remove ads