D&D 3E/3.5 Help! converting 2E player kits to 3.5

LadyDM

First Post
I want to convert the Bladesinger kit from 2E as a consistent villian for my players to run up against but am not sure how to proceed. Is it possible? Does anyone have a blueprint or a beginning pont?

dagger

Adventurer
Well there is a Bladesinger prestige class in 3.0 and 3.5....

3.5 version is in Complete Warrior
3.0 .....can't remember which splat book this one is in..but which ever book it is in, you will want to get the errata for it which is in either the web enhancement for said book or the errata for said book.

That enough run on sentences for you? ;)

LadyDM

First Post
There are a few other kits I would like to use, and was hoping there would be a formula to use for converting them as I need. The Bladesinger is just my favorite. I will look up the prestige class though, thanks!

Kae'Yoss

First Post
The bladesinger has a long history in D&D:
First printed in Tome & Blood, and then soon after appeared again in the T&B web enhancement, as they forgot a lot of abilities in the book.
Later, in Races of Faerûn, they released another one, this time you could choose between long sword or rapier.
Finally, the 3.5 version in Complete Warrior, moving away from the separate spell list and giving it 1/2 spell progression, as well replacing that "free casting of spell with full attack" with a sudden-quicken like option once per day (only spells up to 2 or 4th level, depending on level).

Personally, I'd allow them to use whatever one-handed blade they want - short sword, long sword, rapier, scimitar, elven shortblade, elven thinblade exotic bastard sword, you name it. As long as it's a one-handed or light weapon (so the elven courtblade is out)

As for other kits: A lot of them appear as PrC's in one book or the other, and anyway, most of them don't really need a PrC, with 3e-Rules you can create them just fine. (Assassin, for example, can be created quite easily, the PrC in the DMG is something different, using spells ans stuff).

Narfellus

First Post
Yes, most kits from 2e i think have already been converted to 3rd edition, or you can just as easily combine a few classes and then call it a "Stalker" or whatever. Dragon magazine i recall did this by showing an optimum mix of skills and feats and classes that would replicate a "kit" so to speak.

Krafen

First Post
KaeYoss said:
The bladesinger has a long history in D&D:
First printed in Tome & Blood, and then soon after appeared again in the T&B web enhancement, as they forgot a lot of abilities in the book.
Later, in Races of Faerûn, they released another one, this time you could choose between long sword or rapier.
Finally, the 3.5 version in Complete Warrior, moving away from the separate spell list and giving it 1/2 spell progression, as well replacing that "free casting of spell with full attack" with a sudden-quicken like option once per day (only spells up to 2 or 4th level, depending on level).

Personally, I'd allow them to use whatever one-handed blade they want - short sword, long sword, rapier, scimitar, elven shortblade, elven thinblade exotic bastard sword, you name it. As long as it's a one-handed or light weapon (so the elven courtblade is out)

As for other kits: A lot of them appear as PrC's in one book or the other, and anyway, most of them don't really need a PrC, with 3e-Rules you can create them just fine. (Assassin, for example, can be created quite easily, the PrC in the DMG is something different, using spells ans stuff).

The earliest version of the Bladesinger I remember was in the Complete Book of Elves. It wasn't a class at that point. It was three levels of expertise you could purchase using weapon knowledge slots (I forget the exact name of the mechanic). It also had nothing to do with spellcasting at that point. It was actually a lot like the Combat Expertise feat. You could shift THAC0 points to AC and vice versa.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Krafen said:
The earliest version of the Bladesinger I remember was in the Complete Book of Elves. It wasn't a class at that point. It was three levels of expertise you could purchase using weapon knowledge slots (I forget the exact name of the mechanic). It also had nothing to do with spellcasting at that point. It was actually a lot like the Combat Expertise feat. You could shift THAC0 points to AC and vice versa.

I referred to 3e Material only. I know he was known before that. That there was a fighter/wizard kit, fighting styles, and what not. But even in D&D 3rd edition, he had 4 write-ups (and I almost feared they'd present the class again in Races of the Wild. Fortunately, they only mention it as a CW PrC)

Aries_Omega

Explorer
Kits Help

I been forever trying to convert stuff actually here is what I would love to have.

Guardian Kit (found in both Ranger's and Druid's handbook. Ranger one is better)
Druid Groves (Found in druid's handbook)

And basically anything I haven't seen yet. I seen the stuff that EN world had a while back. I got excited when I saw a bunch of stuff by a guy named Korath that linked to a site that no longer exsits.

Aries

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases