Creative Exercise: The Sovereign Dominion of Eyros

Jakar

First Post
I reakon just link up the lake below the city to the river below the lake and you should be right. Just one other thing about the map. The scale is 1 hex = approx 50 Miles. If that is the case, the fortress above the city is HUGE!!! Not to mention the city itself.

Rystil Arden

First Post
blargney the second said:
I'd *love* to see this setting made into a website. It's got some fantastic contributions! :)
-blarg
Heck, its extensive enough that pretty soon it could be distributed as a honest-to-goodness campaign setting if it weren't saddled with the handicap of having people like me with my crazy dumb ideas around. Mouse, on the other hand, has worked on Green Ronin's excellent Hamunaptra Mythic Vistas setting, so maybe it would be better to have him organise the material for a website, if we decide to pursue that route (Plus he's been doing a good job of organising everything so far).

What we should really do is run an adventure set in Eyros. Of course, the setting wouldn't really be as fun to play in in some senses for all our regular readers and contributors who know all those secrets now. Hmm, let's find some vict...I mean players on which to test this out.

domino

First Post
On the subject of the city on the mountain.

There's always the fall back to cultural signifigance assigned to the location and the city built up around that, rather than the other way around. Like the site of a great victory. Or was for some reason a long term military base, which wound up having the military support structure grow out of that, and then the civilian support structure to support the military support structure, etc...

Rystil Arden

First Post
domino said:
On the subject of the city on the mountain.

There's always the fall back to cultural signifigance assigned to the location and the city built up around that, rather than the other way around. Like the site of a great victory. Or was for some reason a long term military base, which wound up having the military support structure grow out of that, and then the civilian support structure to support the military support structure, etc...
Yeah, we know that this actually *is* the case (that being military victory) from previous posts, which is what I was referring to at the top of this page of posts.

X

xnosipjpqmhd

Jakar said:
I reakon just link up the lake below the city to the river below the lake and you should be right. Just one other thing about the map. The scale is 1 hex = approx 50 Miles. If that is the case, the fortress above the city is HUGE!!! Not to mention the city itself.

I love Rystil's aquaduct idea, though it would probably be more like a canal. It would probably have towers spaced every few miles along it, and along the trafficable riverways, since it is close to the more-or-less autonomous Kohl'Tass region.

Re: size... Eyrdeyn is the First City, and its been built, rebuilt, and added onto so many times over the years that it has become a sprawling 20-mile wide patchwork of various districts, each basically a city in its own right.

Over the years, various Grand Monarchs have erected longer and more impressive stretches of walls up Mt. Xark, building ever more extravagant and impregnable fortress-palaces.

Because a Grand Monarch’s legacy exists partly in the buildings he or she has constructed, and because the old palace buildings typically become the abode of those senators and priests who favour each new Monarch’s building programme, the process has tended to repeat itself over the years.

I’m thinking this place *dwarfs* Minas Tirith.

ironregime

Rystil Arden

First Post
domino said:
Yeah. I was basically just repeating your good idea a second time.
Ah, OK, just making sure that it wasn't the case that I have yet again obfuscated the conflated datum through a severe overrecondition of the previously transpicuous palaver, as is my quotidian praxis.

Rystil Arden

First Post
ironregime said:
I love Rystil's aquaduct idea, though it would probably be more like a canal. It would probably have towers spaced every few miles along it, and along the trafficable riverways, since it is close to the more-or-less autonomous Kohl'Tass region.

Re: size... Eyrdeyn is the First City, and its been built, rebuilt, and added onto so many times over the years that it has become a sprawling 20-mile wide patchwork of various districts, each basically a city in its own right.

Over the years, various Grand Monarchs have erected longer and more impressive stretches of walls up Mt. Xark, building ever more extravagant and impregnable fortress-palaces.

Because a Grand Monarch’s legacy exists partly in the buildings he or she has constructed, and because the old palace buildings typically become the abode of those senators and priests who favour each new Monarch’s building programme, the process has tended to repeat itself over the years.

I’m thinking this place *dwarfs* Minas Tirith.

ironregime
I agree that it is a very large city, and I was thinking more of a canal myself for Eyrdeyn, I just used the aqueducts as a handwaving example of the Romans performing similar projects

domino

First Post
hero4hire said:
I didn't intend anything to contradict a previous post. So to coincide both; Druids are rare, the majority are evil. =)
The majority of Eyros druids maybe. The Lizard folk druids seem to be generally good. Probably not ALL good, but closer to good/neutral than neutral/evil.

Remove ads